Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] ESF Planned Update/PTS

ESF PTS UPDATE

So a few days ago, an update went live on the PTS introducing new weapons for the ESFs. a Copy of the note can be found hereand it included several wing-mounted weapons and one new nose gun per faction. You can read the full post but I will post the most predominant information here.

So to start off, they included a new Nose Gun, there is one per faction, the NC's M20 Kestrel, the VS's Anteres LC, and the TR's Locust Cannon. using them, I feel like they are no different than our current M20 Mustang and the Vortek still out performs the Mustang. So I am not too worried about these at the moment, though they have more ammo per clip and a larger reserve, meant for those newer pilots.

So the thing I am worried about are the new Rockets they are adding to the game. These rockets are called the Coyote and Hornet missles. They are available for each faction and I feel like they could use some tuning. Currently, the Hornet takes 4 ROCKETS to DESTROY a VANGUARD. They are wire-guided, shoot them a little bit slower than the current rockets, and basically wreck everything. It can take a gal down in 3 or 4 volleys. Although they have a long reload time, it still shouldn't allow it to do this much damage. This kinda broke my heart since I recently dumped at least 5 thousand certs into my Vanguard and now it is rendered useless. After further reading though, SOE released a statement depicting how the damage is incorrect and they put the incorrect damage it does into the game. I don't know how much damage they will do but it can be used at ranges a regular Rocket Pod cant touch. In a squad of these, they will wreck Sundies faster than a squad of Libs. I will probably save up for these.

The other set of rockets included are the Coyotes, these rockets are A2A but I believe are a bit weak. They fire and auto lock mid air and also gain speed in air. Think a Javelin, but only A2A and they rocket has to pass the aircraft very closely. Videos I watched demonstrated a distance of about 10 meters from the target to hit an ESF. They fire 4 per clip I believe and do a little more than hald health damage to an ESF. The drawback is that they are very easy to dodge. A reverse maneuver can get them off real quickly. But you also have to have some good aim to be able to get those shots in.

Following the new weapons comes the nerf to the current A2A pods they have. I find them OP at the moment and I am happy they are finally getting nerfed. Currently, two set you on fie and people often chainlock you, meaning they fire rocket after rocket. They follow your aircraft for about 400-500 meters but can be dodged if you use your afterburners and boost abour 3 meters above or under the enemy who shoots them. Now with the new update, they act like a Striker and the pilot must keep the enemy in their sights the entire time for it to hit. They also lost some of their distance which they can chase by 200 meters. I find this is one of my favorite things about this.

The final thing which they added is the cert-line for the After burners. you can now upgrade the afterburners giving you a larger fuel tank and a faster regeneration rate. So this makes it compete with those A2A pods and G2A rockets. This can lighten up the Air Game a little bit which I like.

That is what I noticed and I couldn't find specific numbers, but if you have any info to add, go ahead and do so! Also what are your guys' thoughts and opinions on this? What should they add as well?
    Questions about those who deserve it!
    "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Re: ESF Planned Update/PTS

Yeah happy face more things to dump certs on to have them nerfed later

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
    ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Also, suck it hover frame you getting a nerf afterburning from hover mode...on iPod will update my thoughts more thoroughly later...have been waiting for this update for a long time

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
      ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

That's the vibe I am getting as well, I think the coyote Missles MIGHT be buffed with the distance they need to be from target, and the Hornets may be nerfed.

Comment

"the Hornet takes 4 ROCKETS to DESTROY a VANGUARD"

I have no purpose in planetside anymore.. good-bye everyone =(

Comment

Penny the afterburners are getting a buff and can last A LOT longer and refuel a lot quicker, so I feel like it won't be much of a problem of having a 1/2 second afterburners worth of drain when first starting to use it.

Comment

Bolivian rampage, I think you might want to check yourself on that. It took six rockets to the top armor of a mag for me. Seeing as it has a 4 rocket clip and is implemented as a predominately AT rocket I'm not too worried. Unless you were judging rear armor damage, which is like 8-10 rockets from rocket pods.

The coyote missiles also work on ground vehicles, and once they acquire a lock they are impossible to dodge.

Comment

Here's the culprit:

We're trying to get a quick update together with the fixed Hornet damage. They're on the wrong resist type currently.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by penandpencilman View Post
                  Yeah happy face more things to dump certs on to have them nerfed later
                  How true that. They are nerfing a bunch of things, to make you cert them again.

Then in the end the problem will be WORSE than before. They are taking out the proper AA missiles bc the experienced pilots complained.

This way it's going to get even harder for new/average pilots.

THat and they are not solving the lolpod farming problems. They are just adding new lolpods.

Only thing they should have done is remove the damned lolpods, as they ruined the air game from day 1. But no. farm us for some certs and money (soe farming us yes). And then make the problem the same. Silly on all fronts this.

THe AA missile is the best balancer for less good pilots to have a chance. What a mistake to take that out really. What a stupid decision! /rant :p.

Comment

The weapons have changed considerably from some of SOE's earlier forum posts. The Coyote missiles sound less obnoxious (and even interesting). The Hornets were planned to be Lock-On, but guide by wire is a very different dynamic. On one hand, IR smoke is no longer a counter. On the other, it sounds like anybody using these is going to have to stay on target the whole time to score hits, which means that they'll be VERY easy prey for flak and enemy fighters.

I'm going to hop on the PTS to try for myself, but it sounds like this could actually lead to some interesting dynamics. Hornet carrying ESFs will have a moment of vulnerability between firing and hitting the target which can be exploited by attentive AA or nearby interceptors, and the improved afterburners will allow interceptors to better outclass ESFs not kitted out for an air to air fight. Air to air missiles will be easier to counter, now, which is much more fun that popping flares. Break the lock for a second with terrain or by getting close to them.

Comment

Okay, played with them a bit on PTS.

Coyote is a little underwhelming. Okay burst damage, but the missiles travel slowly and need to get close to lock on... if you thought of them as exceptionally slow moving flak, you wouldn't be far off. Might not be a bad thing to toss out while your nosegun is reloading, but you have to lead a LOT and you need to be pretty close. I felt like I would have been better off using my nosegun against the pilots I managed to track down (who weren't particularily good, either).

Hornet I only tried in VR... does some impressive damage, especially if you hit the tank in the back, was able to take down a Prowler in 3 volleys or two missiles (or 5 missiles total). The guide by wire is difficult to work with... again, the missiles are slow, and they're not very agile, and pointing an ESF at the target is harder than guiding in an AV MANA turret. I had almost no luck whatsoever using them in fly-bys, the tracking doesn't play well with me almost outrunning them in a racer-chassis mossie. This is a stand-off, mid to long range anti-armour weapon that requires you to hover and focus on your target. It's also pretty much useless against infantry, no splash worth speaking of.

That largely alleviates any concerns I might have had about it overpowering armour. A few ESFs using these in tandem could do a LOT of damage, but they'd be vulnerable while doing so, and solo ESFs still have a long enough time to kill that the tanker will have time to move and spoil the shot, or have friendly AA elements engage. I imagine it'll be very tough to land even the first volley against an attentive AA crew... you could easily have the first flak rounds landing on you while your volley is in flight, and then you have to decide whether you want to eat flak or hit your target.

Comment

Zepkron, I was engaging with tem the first day and had not received he patch which fixed the problem a little bit. I heard that there may be another update on them.

Also Star I have tried using them with the Max Hover Frame and the Hornets are well when pitching generously and circling. This won't stop you gettin hit by flak so Flak may be the new combination with this weapon. Another thing to keep in mind is that they have a lot farther distance which it can travel than other pods, so you can stay further and dodge AA easier.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                          How true that. They are nerfing a bunch of things, to make you cert them again.

Then in the end the problem will be WORSE than before. They are taking out the proper AA missiles bc the experienced pilots complained.

This way it's going to get even harder for new/average pilots.

THat and they are not solving the lolpod farming problems. They are just adding new lolpods.

Only thing they should have done is remove the damned lolpods, as they ruined the air game from day 1. But no. farm us for some certs and money (soe farming us yes). And then make the problem the same. Silly on all fronts this.

THe AA missile is the best balancer for less good pilots to have a chance. What a mistake to take that out really. What a stupid decision! /rant :p.
                          The afterburner needs to evenly compete with other secondary options both before and after the others are certed, so it makes sense to be able to cert the AB too.

Current A2A missiles aren't being removed.

The new weapons are aimed at newer pilots and are supposed to be easier to use - SOE are trying to help.

Rocket Pods aren't actually that difficult to use against infantry. A2A missiles reduce the gap between newer and experienced pilots, and it could be argued that so do Rocket Pods (not quite so drastically either). Look at the alternative, you'd have top pilots nose-gunning people and newer pilots completely unable to affect enemy infantry. There is some gain to be had through practice with Rocket Pods though, unlike with A2A missiles which ruin any depth of gameplay.

Ironically, most of the comments on SOE's forums are pilots complaining the opposite to you - more, extremely powerful A2A missiles are just as powerful in the hands of experienced pilots so, if they take them (which some try not to, but most have since the last update) newer pilots are just as out of luck as before. There's no counter to learn.

Furthermore, they're destroying the Air game that would otherwise exist (even if limited to top pilots) because there's no reason to use the alternatives, and very little reason to put in time practicing. Don't forget that PS2 gains a lot from the community, many pilots and air outfits teach those willing to put in the time but the direction of the game may cause them to play and teach less.

Of course, the truth is somewhere between the two. A2A missiles are a necessary evil (as a lot of those pilots complaining recognise) but the problem is their current design. What is wanted is a weapon that will give newer players a leg up, that's easier to use but not quite so effective. They should feel like they're achieving something, reliably damaging top pilots and killing them now and then - particularly if outnumbered or mistakes are made.

Right now, instead of closing the gap, A2A missiles practically remove the gap. If difficult to use weapons are not better, they serve no purpose and the gameplay has no depth.

Many are asking for the mechanics of A2A missiles to be reworked - to have at least some learning involved, in order to gradually prepare pilots to make the switch to more difficult weapons. On the other end, there should be a maneuver to reliably dodge missiles, probably one that takes time or makes you really slow, or some other trade off. Also, I really wish they'd change flares to ammo already...

I'm a little confused amongst this storm as to how exactly the new weapons will play out. However, I certainly can't see them doing enough to solve the issues of Air gameplay. SOE needs to be more creative and take more risks.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

I'm really interested in hearing how the anti-tank weapons pan out, with Daltons punching holes through the fabric of space-time itself, this game really does not need another airborn anti-armor solution, especially considering the ability to counter an ESF becomes nearly impossible without another ESF. A skygaurd would getted stuffed by those rockets, especially if the effective range is forever out. That in itself isn't such a big deal, other than the fact the Skygaurd is vulnerable to, well, everything on the ground.
                            MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Personally I have always thought of A2A missiles as being "noobish".........no skill to acquire a target, push a button and then fly away. But I have noticed that higher and higher BRs are using them as well which saddens me. This game has finally arrived at the point where BR10s want to be as good as BR80s and it looks like SOE is catering to same. There SHOULD be a learning curve to every vehicle class, there SHOULD be a learning curve for every infantry class. Personally I think that when the devs take that out of the game, then they are dumbing down a game and discounting the efforts that long term players have put in the game...............I got friended by a VS sniper the other day, only the second one that I have accepted because he knew how to play the game. His comment to me was "I have a lot of respect for your skills as a sniper, and your well known to most VS players. Please accept my friend request". I accepted and told him that I respected his skills as well..........he was a BR80. At the rate SOE is going, sniping may be the only "skill" left on the servers. End of rant as well Al.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X