Todays Patch Notes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays Patch Notes

So today a new patch was released and I want to know how you guys feel on one specific change which was brought up here. You can read along here. So continuing, I wanted to bring one thing up in specific, this is that they added the ability to spawn directly on a Transport vehicle now. The post specifically says:

Squad Vehicle Spawning
    In an effort to encourage squad cohesiveness and increase available spawn options we are adding the ability to spawn in squad owned transport vehicles.
    Vehicle spawning is limited to Galaxies and Sunderers that are occupied and owned by a squad member.
    The Sunderer AMS no longer requires an item to be equipped in order to function. Once the certification is purchased, it is always available. This frees up the Utility slot on the Sunderer for other items.
    Squad Vehicle Spawn Bonus Reward: Vehicle owners receive 10 XP when squadmates spawns in their Sunderer or Galaxy, which matches the current squad spawn beacon XP reward
    I like this a lot considering now we can just grab a Sundie and run to the objective or a Gal, this ELIMINATES any need to wait for everyone to load up into a Galaxy, the only exception is when you need to get MAXes as well, then you gotta wait. I would like to see this used in the field and see how we can improve our Gal movement Speeds.

Something else I picked up on was the new system where AMS is now built in to your Sundie, so now we can have the utility Spot for something else.

What are you guys gonna use the new AMS Sundie system and the ability to spawn into Galaxies for?
    Questions about those who deserve it!
    "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Re: Todays Patch Notes

We'll see how this goes. Spawn-in-seat transports has been on Higby's list for a while, so In guess this is fairly deep within dev intent. I guess the biggest change will be the ability to have a dedicated Galaxy crew hovering just outside engagement range, ready to drop a freshly spawned squad in after each assault. A big concern would be squad member cycling, which would allow a single gal to continually drop in fresh troops just by inviting, spawning, kicking, repeat.
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Comment

You'll also have a 'gravy train' of Sundies coming in now. I mean why not have every member of the squad pull a Sundy and drive it in since regardless of how many you'll have destroyed, you'll have several in reserve. Plus the Gal will now become the major transport device since you can respawn on it now while another squad is pulling up in the gravy train. Sounds like they are making it more of a grindfest to me.

The number one most important rule for any engagement is to take out the attacking enemies spawn options. If your attacking then the most important rule is to have as many spawn options as possible......... Without the ability to limit the enemies spawn options, you'll have a grindfest at even the most basic base.

Initially it was exciting news, in retrospect..........not so much.

Comment

How does this work with shield breaker in an amp station. I have a bad feeling that is going to be broken.

Comment

well then we have to compose a direct way of attacking an enemy Sundie when they GSD. perhaps it won't matter since they are changing Amp Stations so the points aren't indoors anymore.

Comment

I don't think the Sunderer has actually changed all that significantly. The fact that the AMS was something like 95% of all utility loadouts was telling that the others weren't viable options, and hopefully the Sunderer is more interesting now in that respect. Basically, every sunderer was a potential spawn location before, and now it's a spawn location for your squad if and only if you have somebody occupying it. I don't think that significantly changes the AMS game, and the SOP is still "kill all of the Sunderers everywhere forever". I don't think Rage's concern about the whole squad pulling a sunderer is any bigger than it was before, since simply HAVING all the Sunderers doesn't help any more than before (you still need to either deploy as before or have someone sit around in the Sunderer to use it as a spawn), and it's still a massive resource cost. I don't think you'll see that behaviour for the same reason you didn't see it before.

The ability to stack an AMS and shield defuser is interesting and we'll have to see how that plays out. That'll make bases like the Bastion have another vulnerability where an AMS plows through an active shield and sets up on the flank, but I'm not sure how huge a concern that is realistically, and it might even make the battles more interesting... needs more testing.

The Galaxy spawning, though? I think that is a rotten, rotten change. I remember the Galaxy AMS and completely obliterated the value of any terrain or ground vehicle. The new galaxy spawn can't bring in a zerg like the Galaxy AMS could, so it's not quite as much of an abomination, but you can spawn and drop people without having to land and deploy the damn thing! And Galaxies are a huge pain to take down... I've got visions of an entire platoon with four battle galaxies keeping a pilot and gunner overhead and then dropping an endless rain of soldiers on a base, and then being largely invulnerable to counterattack! Unless a dedicated Galaxy hunting group came in, the Galaxies would just cycle out, repair, and return as they take damage. If AA got too hot, they could just sit on the flight ceiling and be almost completely invulnerable to anyone without an air squad loaded for bear.

...does actually give me a thought for how you could make it a reasonable change, though. Have a slot on the galaxy with the following options:
            • Squad Logistics Module (default) - Squad members can spawn from the Galaxy in flight, as per new changes. Does the job of getting your squad together and letting new people join the group easily. Maybe add the old deploy functionality minus the AMS feature so that the equipment terminal and wing shields could be used.
            • High-Altitude Drop Module - The current hot-drop behaviour of being immune to fall damage after a drop would be removed and tied to this module.
            • Blockade Runner Module - Galaxy HP would be substantially dropped, and this module would raise it back to the previous level and maybe a little higher.

The Squad Logistics module would let you conveniently regroup the squad and set up a soft logistics base, but would be extremely vulnerable and would have to land properly to get troops out safely and take advantage of the deploy features... no sitting at the flight ceiling and dropping people, unless you're happy with a squad of nothing but light assaults. The High Altitude module would allow you to use the Galaxy for wilder drops where stopping to land is too dangerous or not possible, but not have the logistics features and being a little fragile. The Blockade Runner setup would be for dedicated battle galaxies or for insertions into extremely hot firefights. It'd lose the squad logistics AND have to properly land, but would be less likely to be shot down in the first place.

Currently, the Galaxy is essentially all three of these at once, but I think it'd be very interesting to be able to specialize into one of these roles. I can think of good use cases for every one of those variants.

Comment

Nevermind, I just realized that a fast break Sundy can probably spawn squad members without having to worry about the no-deploy zone. That is going to be a horribly broken change... Sunderers breaking into Amp stations and then respawning people? It's not the end of the world, but that makes the tactic MUCH more dangerous.

Comment

That's a good straightforward question. Will spawn-in-seat be affected by no-deploy zones?
                sigpic

Comment

Well, time to finish certing up the sunderer gate diffuser,

because that thing just became overpowered as all get out.

I'm really, really disappointed by this. Seems to be circumventing a lot of intentional limitations and reducing the importance of good old teamwork and coordination.

Edit: Oops, five more replies. That's what I get for leaving for an hour before I submit my comment.
                  Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Why other Utilities are other than the GSD?

Comment

Originally posted by BolivianRAMPAGE View Post
                      Why other Utilities are other than the GSD?
                      What?
                      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Gate Shield Diffuser
                        Smoke Screen
                        Proximity Radar
                        Fire Suppression System

Of those, the Smoke Screen is most useful for anti-infantry ops. Diffuser has it's obvious role. Never had a need for radar or fire suppression. If your Sundy is on fire, you're probably not going to have it much longer anyway.
                        sigpic

Comment

I think that Proximity Radar would be the most useful in the utility slot. While the smoke screen is good for covering your retreat, I'd much rather be able to see them C4 fairies before they get too close! :) GSD is pretty situational, so doesn't need to be equipped all the time. Yep.. I'll be sinking some certs into radar after my client is done updating.

I do, however, agree with Steeler's opinion concerning Fire Suppression.

As for the ability to spawn on transport vehicles.. I'll have to wait and see how it works out. Like others have stated, I'm curious on how the No-Deploy zones are going to work with this new ability. Something else that has me curious is this: When you Q-spot a Harrasser, iirc, it's sometimes called a transport vehicle.. does that mean we'll be able to spawn on those as well?

**edit**

Just got in game and found that Prox Radar is not in the Utility slot.. it's in the Defense slot. And, compared to Blockade Armor, Proximity Repair System, or Vehicle Ammo Dispenser, Proximity Radar will get no love on my Sunderer.

Utility now consists of the GSD, Smoke Screen, and Fire Suppression. I've got a couple ranks of the GSD currently but, as I said, it's pretty situational. Guess I'll be throwing some certs at the Smoke screen now.
                          Last edited by Mindkill; 01-30-2014, 04:10 PM.

sigpic

Comment

I was just in VR and the sundy utilities available were -

Gate Shield Dif
                            Smoke Screen
                            Fire Sup

The proxy radar is under the defense slot.

Seems to me that the Prox Repair and the Ammo Dispenser should be under utilities and not defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                              Never had a need for radar or fire suppression. If your Sundy is on fire, you're probably not going to have it much longer anyway.
                              I'll argue that Fire Suppression is a pretty solid cert path for the Sunderer that is a part of an Armored Group or is itself being used in a combat fashion. I had it before Fire Suppression was nerfed and it was a good reason I was kept alive many times while providing vehicle repairs. Even after the Fire Suppression changes its still a powerful tool to keep yourself alive.

========

I'm not sure I dig these new changes. Ultimately this is a pretty serious upheaval of the game mechanics and redefines what the 'Transport' vehicle can do.

I've always feared this update in regard to the Galaxy, but in the realm of the Sunderer this seems reasonable. Time scales can be moved up and there will be less down time during a regroup phase.

I think Galaxies and Airborne Assaults will become more prevalent and potent. On the flip side, Galaxies will be valued beyond just a transit vehicle.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X