A week or so later...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A week or so later...

So I am very curious as to how you guys feel about the most recent changes to squad spawning in PS2 after a few weeks given to adjust. I still can't play the game so I'm interested in your guy's feedback on this quite significant change.

Re: A week or so later...

I still think it's a wrongheaded change because I think it guts logistics requirements even further, but I've noticed that the air game has become significantly more lively as a result. Since the enemy can use the airspace as a limited spawn zone there's even more importance in keeping it clear, and liberators and ESFs have been spending more time shooting them or being countered by enemy ESFs and fighters than before.

It's significantly easier to catch up with your squad now, I've found. The sunderer spawning stuff hasn't had a huge impact, IMO, beyond that additional level of convenience.

There are a few edge cases where the Galaxy spawning becomes really broken. In small-mid sized battle, if the enemy has a bunch of galaxies overhead you've got absolutely no chance because you don't have the manpower to shoot them down and the enemy can now respawn with impunity from a constantly moving point overhead.

Comment

I'm not even remotely a fan for all the reasons starstriker has mentioned.

Other day the TG group was full so i joined up with VCO. Every time there was an order to move out it involved the redeploy button. Every single time. Lets just say I only pulled my MAX once. Despite its obvious need in many cases, I felt it was not worth MY resources to help the group knowing what was going.

Secondly, I enjoy playing combat sky taxi. The change eliminated this job almost completely. At least in such a way that the job is much less significant. I will still offer. However I know as even our leadership evolves to utilize this change much as VCO has already adapted. Speaks to the logistics issue Starstriker was speaking of.

Comment

I have simply stuck to running air and armor. I just can't get tactical with any of the infantry stuff right now...

Comment

My sniping runs have drastically gone up. When a enemy pop says 1-12 that doesn't mean there are only 1-12 targets now......it means 1-12 over and over again. The enemy will send a Gal to ceiling where the ground infantry can't even see it without a zoom. So where I use to 'melon-pop' someone once or twice until their sundy or beacon was down, now it's just continuous until they get tired and just quit. I've also noticed a large amount of lower BRs in the game now.....it use to be that the BRs were on average going up at the pretty much the same speed I was, but now there appears to be an influx of new or 'crossed over' players and I don't really know the reason for that.

But all in all I'd stick with my original opinion that it's not good for the game.

Comment

Rage, I've noticed tha large number of lower BR players, I'm not really sure what's going on with that either. The Sunderer respawn issue is a non-point, there are very few issues with that. The galaxy issue is another problem though. Last night the VS had 2 galaxies parked on the mid-deck of a Tech plant, due to the armor of those things it was almost impossible to destroy them. I myself took my stock galaxy and hovered at flight ceiling over a base for a good 5 minutes while our squad assaulted below. I think, if the galaxy is to be a spawn platform, that it should be an option that has to be equipped at the expense of armor.
            MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, the Galaxies are too powerful right now. Their spawn capabilities combined with their existing durability and high-altitude drop abilities let them have a ridiculous effect in a lot of situations (IE, anytime you don't have air superiority or a huge nearby AA presence). The galaxy abilities aren't negatively impacting the huge battles beyond their effects on logistics (they simply get shredded in a big fight) but in smaller fights they can be obnoxiously powerful.

The strategic game has changed as a result, too. It's the Galaxy AMS from beta all over again... with a logistics vehicle that can get places pretty much immediately and doesn't have to worry about terrain, the midfield between bases loses importance and fortifications that aren't on the final objective are less relevant. You can't spawn a zerg from a galaxy, thankfully, but when an organized platoon is rolling around with them the distinction might be lost on you.

It also ups the pace of strategic movement, in that it shaves several minutes off of moving to another base. If you're sufficiently organized, you can literally hit the next base in under 30 seconds from the time you say "redeploy". That's not enough time for anyone to react or prepare in a meaningful way. It'll be wildly unpleasant to see what happens when the most coordinated outfits get good at using their galaxies like that. There'll be no setting up a defense at the next base, they'll be right on top of you within seconds of the other bases falling.

The one positive from all this, IMO, is that the Galaxy is now a more interesting vehicle, and the air/AA game has become more interesting as a consequence. Given all the secondary effects, though I don't think this was the best way to have achieved that.

Comment

I feel like adding a spawn timer cert line would mitigate a lot of the secondary problems. You would need a dedicated pilot having spent the certs to make the most of a logistics Galaxy (at the expense of some other utility slot), but you could still have a BR 10 grab a baseline gal and get airborne for the initial high speed spawn-and-drop.
                In game handle: Steel Scion
                sigpic

Comment

I've posted it in a few threads now, but I think what needs to happen is that the galaxy has to be disallowed from having this new spawn feature, the hot drop, and it's massive durability simultaneously. You can avoid having to land to pick people up, or you can avoid having to land to drop people off, or you can be a nigh-invincible airborne tank. Choose one!

Comment

Back in beta when we had the G-AMS it was nearly gamebreaking, but at least you had to be down on the ground to use it.

Why not combine both limitations? Limit the G-AMS to squad-only, make it only usable when deployed on the ground (or perhaps some sort of vulnerable air-deployment), and make it take up the utility slot so that it's not as tanky as a dedicated battle-gal.

That being said, I THINK I know part of the reason why they've given the Galaxy and Sunderer stronger offensive spawn options. I'd say, judging by the new Amerish on PTS, that they are shifting towards much more defensible bases overall. Not only is the terrain generally more defensible now, they're also giving defenders more spawn options within bases, and giving them more defender-only mobility options like jump pads. I'd say they're worried that these bases will be TOO easy to defend with the old spawn options. That's my two cents anyway.
                    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

From what it sounds like is that they need to buff ground based damage to Galaxies. Perhaps even lower the 'drop ceiling' for airborne troops. I wish I could be around to play with this new feature but I hope the current status quo does not remain long after the WDS (dramatic rule changes during WDS would be poor form).

I like the concept of Sunderer Spawn though. IMO makes the Sunderer even more useful. I also enjoy that AMS is no longer tied to a slot.

Comment

I like that the Galaxy doesn't have to wait for everyone to load up. Less time sitting at the warp gate means you can get back into the action quicker. I also like how it seems like it has, from a ground-pounder's perspective, livened up the air war. IE, I'd rather them be shooting at each other than me. :D

My noob is probably showing, but a pair of anti-air such as burster maxes, skyguards, GtA heavies, AA turrets or ESF can scare one away can't they? Consider that they're 1 or 2 people short in order to keep up the gal isn't it an even swap?
                        87% Combat Engineer

Comment

The Galaxy is a bulky craft that takes an incredible amount of damage to hurt from ground based targets.

It has a pool of 7000HP (by comparison all tanks have 4000; the Liberator has 5000) it has 85% resistance to HMGs, 70% resistance to Annihilators/G2A Missiles, 50% resistance to HEAT/HE/AP rounds and all other rockets, 75% resistance to G30/A30, 90% resistance to direct Flak damage from Bursters/G40, 40% base resistance to all indirect Flak damage (which gets boosted +10% with max composite armor), and 85% resistance to the Skyguard direct damage.

It is safe to say that short of A2A combat and large quantities of ground based AA the Galaxy is pretty safe. I feel that with the new updates it will be a matter of time until the Galaxy gets a bit of a nerf to either it's health/resistances, its drop ceiling, or both.

Comment

Sunderers feel just fine as they are right now.
                            I think Galaxies should get back to their former purpose.

To stimulate air fights, I would rather focus on inter-dependence between aircrafts, just as they did for ground vehicules, to enhance cohesion. For example, maybe add postcombustion fuel tank that has no regeneration on fuel, but that has bigger cargo for ESFs and/or Liberators, then add airborne fuel tanker capability to Galaxies. (As a result, it would add both cohesion and real use of third dimension/further enlargement of the effective air-zone, going repeatedly from ceiling to hedgehopping/from a friendly airspace to actual combat zone.)

Comment

2 burster MAXs with the extended mags can kill a Gal within 2 reloads..........that said not many MAXs opt for the extended mags or even know about it. Since the Gal can easily fly away before being killed, they usually do. You can even kill one at ceiling..........if you know where they are and since you can't see them, you have to get lucky enough to get (and notice) that random hit indicator while pointing straight up.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X