New Infil update and more

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Infil update and more

So today the newest patch rolled out. It is consisting of an Infil Update, along with some other additions. You can read the patch notes here. So to continue, of the many things listed, I will mention the ones I am curious about and would like everyone's opinions on this:

• The lost individual WDS points have been restored. To make this as fair as possible, we moved everyone to one point below the next tier reward, which is a significant bump of extra points for most folks. Thanks for participating, and we appreciate all the great feedback on this event.
    • New Ability: Stalker Cloak
      Stalker cloak does not drain energy as long as the infiltrator remains stationary, allowing the cloak to last indefinitely. However, stalker cloak prevents the use of the infiltrators primary weapon and regenerates slower than the hunter cloak.
    • New Armor Choices: Gold and Lumifiber
    • New Weapon: Hunter QCX
      The powerful Hunter QCX Quad-Cam crossbow is a lightweight sidearm, capable of silently taking out targets up to medium range with deadly precise bolts. Has two unique rail attachments.
      Explosive Bolt: Replaces the default bolt with an explosive tipped variant that does light damage to MAX units and other enemy armor
      Recon Bolt: Replaces the default bolt with a low damage variant that includes a sensor device. The sensor can detect enemy movement within a limited range
    • All Flashlight weapon attachments have been converted into Darklight Flashlights.
      The rail mounted Darklight Flashlight can illuminate hostile cloaked infiltrators and dark areas but the light can give away your position. The light can be turned on and off with the Toggle Attachment hotkey
      Cloaked Infiltrators will see their first person arms change color if they’re being illuminated by darklight as feedback
    • Tank mines are now smaller
    • Coyote Missiles:
      Inner Radius Blast Range reduced from 1 meter to 0.35 meters
      Inner Radius Blast Damage reduced from 334 damage to 200 damage
      Decoy Flares will now prevent Coyote missiles from locking on
    • Tomcat Missiles
      You can now switch weapons once the missile is in flight and still maintain lock
    • Semi-auto Scout Rifles: NC Shadow, TR HSR-1, VS Nyx
      Increased min damage from 250 to 280
      Projectile velocity increased from 500 to 550 on NC and TR, from 500 to 540 on VS (lower because of no drop)
      Misc
    • M20 Kestrel projectile speed increased from 650 to 750 (matching the M20 Mustang)
    • Fixed a case where vehicle debris would do too much damage to other vehicles

That was a pretty long list I admit, but they were the things that came to mind when I read. I am very happy that the Vehicle Debris got a small nerf, but I bet we will still see the problem persist even though they "Fixed" it.

So what are everyone's opinions on this, what is something in the Patch Notes that you want to talk about?
    Questions about those who deserve it!
    "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Re: New Infil update and more

Don't know about you guys, but the first thing I am doing is putting a flashlight on my sidearm.
    87% Combat Engineer

Comment

The new infiltrator gear looks like it might be fun to play with, especially that stalker cloak. I know that in TF2, the "no drain while stationary" variant of the cloaking device is what got me to play spy more often. Actually, in TF2's case, I found it helped me sit back and learn how to time things correctly, so it'll be interesting to see what it's like here.

I wonder if Darklight flashlights will be worth using. Maybe worth certing into them on a weapon or two and checking that out, I expect a lot of infiltrators after this update, especially given that infiltatory visibility when not sprinting has been knocked down.

EMP grenades destroying equipment through walls could be a BIG change, and maybe an important tool for infiltrators to support their squad when breaching a room.

Changes to Zurvan and Dahaka sound interesting. Anyone had a chance to look at them?

Smaller tank mines is interesting, might be a little more viable to use them in ambushes and area denial.

Buffs on Tomcats, nerfs on Coyotes. Sounds about right. I heard the coyotes were being used as anti-infantry rockets, hopefully this curbs that back. I haven't played with the hornets much, so I don't know how much that extra 25% speed is going to do.

Racer frame buffs look SWEET, and from what I tried out on the test server maybe even a little insane. A Mossie could get up to 280kph WITHOUT afterburners. Not sure what the Reaver and Scythe can do now, but I'm not going to say no to an extra 15kph.

Explosives will now blow up other explosives again, which means some of the explosive combos (like tank mines + sticky grenade to kill a Sunderer) are viable again.

Comment

Yeah, I am really hoping to get my eyes on the new Amp Stations now, it is interesting in the manner that they are approaching changing the Amp Station since they do it in steps so the players can give very good opinions on the topics and good opinions on how to change them.

Comment

Tank mines are now smaller
          Explosives will now blow up deployables and other explosives
          Yay!

Cloak Improvements

-Reduced the cloak visibility when moving in all states except for sprinting. Sprinting retains the same visibility setting as before
          -Cloak visibility will now transition faster when changing from one movement state to another
          For example, cloaked players will now reach the lower visibility state faster after they stop moving
          -Fixed a bug that that was sometimes preventing the cloak visibility state from updating correctly
          For example, crouching will now always enter the crouch state. No more having to move slightly to reach the lowest visibility setting.
          That should help infiltrators a bit.

The stalker cloak also sounds interesting for long distance ambushes, but can we not use a primary weapon at all? Really, I think the cloaks are too limited and Infiltrator's usefulness has lacked significantly as a result (are SOE afraid of an overpowered Infil? It's not invisibility, people can see you). With the small amount of cover between bases you can barely make it from rock to rock even with the default cloak on a single charge, sometimes not at all. While the armor one runs out almost as soon as you turn it on - it shouldn't work well in the open, but a little more lee-way in bases would be nice.

Reserved judgement on Darklight Flashlights - I like counters, but will this be a little too prevalent?

EMP grenades will now destroy the below enemy explosives and deployables. This destroy effect will even work through cover.

Tank Mines
          Personal Mines
          C4
          Placed Motion Spot tools
          Detect Tool sensors (this includes crossbow bolts)

Spawn Beacons
          This is important to note: we can destroy enemy sensor darts / deployables!!!

They used to function this way (not sure on darts). I wonder whether they accidentally broke this or deliberately took it out but changed their minds.

Fixed a case where locked on projectiles would ignore terrain
          Fixed a bug that was often causing explosives to do partial damage. Explosion damage will now be more consistent across the board
          Fixed an issue where the reload HUD timer didn't match the weapon's animation in the centralized HUD mode
          Good.
          I hope the explosive problems weren't with mines, I thought that sprinting past them was a feature.
          Finally!

Originally posted by BolivianRAMPAGE View Post
          I am very happy that the Vehicle Debris got a small nerf, but I bet we will still see the problem persist even though they "Fixed" it.
          What problem? Dying to one-hit-kill debris is annoying, but it just takes a little practice to avoid. Actually, apart from extremely rare mishaps (in which I blame myself, or laugh at the odds/circumstance), I don't think it's affected me since beta/early release.

Now trees, those need a nerf :row__586:

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJengles View Post

What problem? Dying to one-hit-kill debris is annoying, but it just takes a little practice to avoid. Actually, apart from extremely rare mishaps (in which I blame myself, or laugh at the odds/circumstance), I don't think it's affected me since beta/early release.

Now trees, those need a nerf :row__586:
            I often times cant stop my vehicle when an enemy on fire comes at me (Like a Prowler on Fire) so when it blows up, it flips and lands on me, it happened to my tank when Penny was gunning for me several times the other day. Luckily the Shield will sometimes save you.

Comment

I often times cant stop my vehicle when an enemy on fire comes at me (Like a Prowler on Fire) so when it blows up, it flips and lands on me, it happened to my tank when Penny was gunning for me several times the other day. Luckily the Shield will sometimes save you.
              Hmm, I don't play tanks a lot, but now and then I do. Normally I can reverse out of the way, and the one time I was crushed by a spinning cannon was a rare/laugh/could have shielded moment for me.

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
              Buffs on Tomcats, nerfs on Coyotes. Sounds about right. I heard the coyotes were being used as anti-infantry rockets, hopefully this curbs that back. I haven't played with the hornets much, so I don't know how much that extra 25% speed is going to do.

Racer frame buffs look SWEET, and from what I tried out on the test server maybe even a little insane. A Mossie could get up to 280kph WITHOUT afterburners. Not sure what the Reaver and Scythe can do now, but I'm not going to say no to an extra 15kph.
              Coyotes were better at killing individual infantry than rocket pods because they did more damage which meant less time on target (felt less like spam). Though I'm glad they're changing it.

There's a thread on the forums with a fair bit of support that makes fun of racer and dog fighting for barely changing the way the fighters feel/play. They've got a point and I'll certainty be giving racer a go as I maxed it after the afterburner changes. Still got to unlock hornets.

Yeah, I am really hoping to get my eyes on the new Amp Stations now, it is interesting in the manner that they are approaching changing the Amp Station since they do it in steps so the players can give very good opinions on the topics and good opinions on how to change them.
              Agreed. It's just a shame I never seem to end up fighting at those particular bases.
              Last edited by MrJengles; 02-13-2014, 12:11 PM.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Fixed a case where vehicle debris would do too much damage to other vehicles

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

3,000 certs+ right now, it is finally time for you crossbow.

I wish the stalker cloak had been implemented way earlier; getting knifed is going to happen more and more.

I am starting a race right now to the 1st person to auraxium the crossbow. Winner obtains title of "Ultimate ProBro"

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
                  ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

The vehicle debris problem was was a recent bug added with the galaxy update.
                    Occasionally the debris would behave like a block of anti-matter. Violently destroying anything that was unlucky enough to get tapped by it. (shields would not save you)

Comment

[*]Tank mines are now smaller
                      *cackles maniacally*

I noticed a massive drop in effectiveness after they turned AT mines into giant yield signs. Personally I think it would be nice if weapon camo applied to deployables as well. After all, it's not like we can bury these things, and the terrain is so bare and featureless that it's near-impossible to hide anything even when they're not giant black-and-yellow 3D warning signs on a white or brown or green background. Hopefully though we'll have a short happy time with the new mines while everyone re-learns how to use their eyes.

Explosives properly setting each other off again should help some a little bit, especially with the Harassers that are fast enough to drive over the first mine before it detonates. It's really more of an offensive and anti-infantry buff though. Now we can once again throw our AT mines on top of a prox mine for a DIY anti-MAX booby trap. Now I can once again throw my mines on an enemy turret, then OSK said turret with a rocket. Or ya know, do the same to a sunderer. Far more effective than C4. I can do more damage, and I can throw an AV grenade faster than you can click a detonator.

About damn time they did something about mines - I can't remember the last time I was killed by a mine. (Yes I can, it was before the harasser nerf when I got excited and forgot to check my vehicle spawn for mines) Meanwhile I'm dropping 225 resources on a spattering of mines that can't be placed on any sort of chokepoint because 1) they stick out like a trio of lighthouses on any sort of road or flat terrain (ya know, where VEHICLES go) and 2) they can't be placed near vehicle spawns anymore. I can't fathom the depths of head-in-rectum disease the players had that I HAVE killed with mines recently. I'd estimate I'm spending roughly 700 infantry resources for every vehicle kill I get recently. Most of those are Flashes, for some bizzare reason, though I get the occasional Lightning. I'm relegated to preying on the players who drive on the side of the road where you can almost partway obscure our giant explosive warning labels, or those too blind to spot a giant wedge of Jarlsberg cheese sitting in the middle of the road. Or perhaps they're just not sure what that strange contraption is, since nobody uses them.

OH BY THE WAY, apparently they got a stealth nerf a while back - mines placed within a certain distance of a spawn pad auto-detonate when placed. One hand giveth, the other taketh away. Talk about dumbing the game down for the lowest common denominator. No more scorched-earth policy for me. And I suppose I was just wasting time checking my vehicle pad before every spawn, time to unlearn the ancient skill of being careful. If you can spawn a tank, nothing should be able to stop you! Oh, trying to gate-crash an amp station? Aim for the vehicle pad - the enemy can't place mines there to keep you out, and they can't place turrets there to form barriers against entry. The vehicle pad is undefendable, use it to your advantage.

Oh, and you can't place AP mines on jump pads anymore. Because that was OP as all get out. /sarcasm

It's not like you get a warning or anything either "You are unable to deploy this here because that would be a good tactical decision, and we can't have any of those." No, it's "and I'll just mine the approach that the enemy is likely to take so I can thin out their numbers... BOOM! What, suicide? Some sniper must have shot my mine right as I placed it. Well played, I suppose." then 2 or 3 suicides later you realize "No, I'm just being punished for playing the game in a non-Call-of-Duty manner."

/rant (for now)
                      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Non-mine related news:

EMP grenades killing defensive explosives even through walls sounds like they should be a heck of a lot more useful... especially considering if any enemies are standing near their explosives they just lost their shields AND had their own explosives set off...

Infiltrators reduced visibility while cloaked still/walking... fear the dark. Check your corners carefully.

On the flip side... the crossbow is a sidearm available to all classes, and can be equipped with sensor bolts. It carries 20 bolts by default as opposed the 6 (I think?) of a 1800 cert+ recon dart. Visibly the dart appears to have the same range and ping rate as a max rank sensor dart but lasts less than a third as long, 7 pings vs 24 pings (I need a stopwatch). On the other hand, you have more than 3 times as many darts (and maybe you're even an engineer), you have a 4-round magazine for firing them, and you have almost 3 times the muzzle velocity for flinging them to distant positions.

The sole reason we've been bringing an infil in our squads most of the time (recon darts) is now a universal option. :/

Mine-related news: They should bring back PS1-style high-density low-damage minefields. Ya know, so mines are actually used as area denial instead of all-or-nothing instagibs?
                        Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Originally posted by MrJengles View Post
                          The stalker cloak also sounds interesting for long distance ambushes, but can we not use a primary weapon at all? Really, I think the cloaks are too limited and Infiltrator's usefulness has lacked significantly as a result (are SOE afraid of an overpowered Infil? It's not invisibility, people can see you). With the small amount of cover between bases you can barely make it from rock to rock even with the default cloak on a single charge, sometimes not at all. While the armor one runs out almost as soon as you turn it on - it shouldn't work well in the open, but a little more lee-way in bases would be nice.
                          I think the intended use case for the stalker cloak is the exact opposite. This is a CLOSE range ambush tool. Your standard cloak will work just fine at long range, because you can duck behind a rock or ridgeline for a few seconds to recharge, then poke your head back out. The stalker cloak, on the other hand, lets you sit in the same room as the enemy (cackling maniacly if that's your style) for however long it takes for an ideal ambush opportunity to show itself. The downside would be not being able to just unload with an SMG... but you've got a huge opportunity for extra situational awareness and unexpected angles of attack that I suspect would more than make up for it. It's not like you can't do some pretty crazy damage with a pistol and knife when you've got the drop on someone, especially if the pistol is the Commissioner.

I'll be interested to see if flashlights become more common as a result. Yeah, revealing infiltrators is a nice perk, but flashlights have a big disadvantage in that they put a big bullseye on you, especially at night. There's also the opportunity cost... you won't be using a laser sight or foregrip, which will impact your accuracy. I could see it being a common shotgun attachment, though, or even a bonus secondary on sniper rifles for infiltrators in close proximity to their squad. It'd also make sense to have it on pistols so that you could always have one person in the squad sweeping for cloaked infiltrators.

Comment

I would like to have the Heavies in my squads carrying these flashlights at all times, so when we are clearing out a room, we have nothing to worry about. I also think that I will need to cert into the recon tool for my regular kits so I can be using a powerful kit instead of the Infil so I can be more effective when taking enemies out.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                              I wonder if Darklight flashlights will be worth using. Maybe worth certing into them on a weapon or two and checking that out, I expect a lot of infiltrators after this update, especially given that infiltatory visibility when not sprinting has been knocked down.
                              I anticipate that the flashlights will be almost a required presence in a squad since infils standing still are not located by sensors and that they can stand still invisible indefinitely. They only need to wait out their adversaries.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X