March Liberator Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Liberator Update

Apparently the roadmap has been updated a bit. The Liberator update section has a lot more info now.

Here are some of the highlights:
    • Shared crew experience (and possible automatic kill assists)
    • Seat diagram with ammo counts for each crew member
    • Possibly a vehicle-only voice channel
    • Stealth, afterburner, composite armour, and Racer chassis all look like they're getting buffed
    • Vector made less useless, with a high-velocity variant for air combat
    • Empire-Specific belly guns.
      • VS get an automatic explosive weapon that steadily increases rate of fire until the ammo runs out or the trigger is released. To me, that sounds like a "commit to the fight" weapon and not an opportunistic or hit-and-run gun.
      • NC gets a TV guided missile, sounds like a Liberator mounted Pheonix to me. Could be really nice for hit and run attacks.
      • TR get a lower damage, higher ROF Zephyr variant with a COF bloom. In this case, the COF sounds like a feature... saturation bombing run for clearing out massed infantry!
    • Generally improved tail guns (walker and Drake) with better firing angles
    • A new tailgun variant that works a lot like a turret mounted Coyote launcher. Since the Coyote missiles are basically low velocity fighter mounted flak weapons, the Liberator is getting airborne flak for fighter deterrence.

This all sounds pretty interesting. Liberators are about to become a lot more interesting, and that new tailgun sounds like a really brutal fighter deterrent, assuming it's powerful enough to justify the seat. The TV guided missile sounds intriguing to me, and I hope it's got enough alpha strike to make it useful as a hit-and-run weapon. Since Liberators have already made a comeback as Galaxy-killers after the spawn update, it seems prudent to start thinking about reliable ways to take them down without losing too many assets. I'm inclined to think long-range A2A missile salvos, myself.

The quality of life improvements (vehicle-only voice chat, ammo counts, shared XP, etc) sound great, too. The only thing missing is a decent indicator for the pilot as to the gunner's orientation.

Re: March Liberator Update

I'm excited enough for this update that I've been hoarding certs since early mid-January so I can buy anything that's interesting on day one.

Things I look forward to:

Shared exp
    Balance pass on abilities.
    Ammo counters
    Better firing angles on tailguns, maybe better firing angles on belly guns
    Vehicle voice channel might encourage other people to team up in the skies more often, I just use skype with my regular gunner...

Things I do not look forward to:

Empire-specific belly guns. Five bucks says SOE is going to seriously screw the pooch on balancing these.
    I suspect the new tailgun is going to be TERRIBLE IDEA. It's either going to be waaaay too strong or useless, and knowing how SOE's tendency to yoyo balance I doubt it'll ever be 'just right'.

I think a better way to do ES belly guns would be to make all three of them anti-infantry, along the lines of giving VS a PPA, NC an altitude-fuse canister shell(airburst shrapnel grenade, pretty much), and the TR should get a large-magazine, HE-shell, burst-fire zephyr variant.

I'm not saying these three would be perfect either, but the ES lib weapons should be more like the ES AV secondaries for MBTs, all distinctly different compared to each other, but still similar when compared to the rest of the available options. IMO they should all perform the same job in different ways, not perform radically different jobs.

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

Dalton nerf? Good thing I got Auraxium a few days ago :row1_7:
      Questions about those who deserve it!
      "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

Looks like SOE scrapped the ES belly gun idea, made the NC and TR ideas into NS weapons, and threw out the VS weapon completely. What a shame.

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

Well next week, the Mission Objectives Update comes out, so I wouldn't be suprised to see it come out in 2 or 3 weeks.
          Questions about those who deserve it!
          "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

Basically everything sounds really nice, but I'm worried about weapon balance.

On tail gun heat seeker:
            General rule of thumb should be that an easier to use weapon should be less powerful, otherwise it removes any reason to practice with alternatives and undoes many players' hard work. Therefore, in a fighter I should be more worried about the current guns if the person can aim well, than this missile (although still an improvement for those practicing with the other weapons due to a higher minimum effectiveness).

Given the Coyotes, I doubt this will be the case.

Originally posted by Daelon Suzuka View Post
            I'm not saying these three would be perfect either, but the ES lib weapons should be more like the ES AV secondaries for MBTs, all distinctly different compared to each other, but still similar when compared to the rest of the available options. IMO they should all perform the same job in different ways, not perform radically different jobs.
            I strongly agree with this. Balance problems occur whenever this isn't the case.

TV guided and rapid fire belly guns don't fulfill the same role, so it's good to see they've already evened the factions out.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

What I'd hope would happen with the tail gun missile launcher is a close range, volley-fire deterrent that's good at hitting close targets or ESFs chasing from behind, but not good at knocking out maneuvering targets. I'd expect the walker to remain a better general-use weapon with a consistent and higher DPS.

We'll see if that's the case, though.

I'm sad to see the VS variant of the empire specific belly gun go, as I think it was WAY more interesting than the TR variant, which is pretty much just a rapid-fire Zephyr. The VS variant would have imposed a different, more committed playstyle.

Comment

Ammo capacities for most weapons (even beyond the scope of Liberator) are being adjusted to even them out based on killing potential.
                Nice. Hopefully that means I won't be running dry on ammo in my Lightning all the time (since it carries the same ammo as the slower-firing Vanguard).

Add ammo display on the seat diagram to know how much ammo each gunner has
                Looking into adding a vehicle only voice channel
                All vehicles need this. Life would be so much easier for vehicle users. Hopefully if they're putting the system in for the Liberator they'll put it in for all vehicles, it just makes sense.
                Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X