Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Some Upcomming Balance Changes

April - Overall Balance

Here are the balance changes we have planned for March. These changes were based on feedback and our own internal metrics.

AV MANA Turret

-This weapon is going to receive a range reduction. It will also receive size and collision adjustments so that the operator can be shot easier
    -The above changes do not solve the visibility problems that this weapon often has, so we’re going to make this weapon auto-spot itself on fire. This weapon will remain strong in a certain range, we just expect smart placement to become much more important.

AI MANA Turret

-We are doing a consistency pass of the shields on these turrets. The goal is to have the amount that the Engineer’s head is vulnerable be the same across all factions.

Lightning weapons

-We’re looking at all the main cannons and will be doing some adjustments to even out performance.
    -More specifically, expect the C75 Viper to not be as all-around dominate as it is now.

Harasser

-We’re going to be adding back some survivability to this vehicle. This will be a mix of resistance changes and maneuverability adjustments

Tank Abilities

-These will be getting small adjustments to even out performance across the different factions

Fall state

-We’re removing all jump penalties (both the post-jump speed penalties and removing the player from iron sights) when players enter the fall state unintentionally without jumping. This will prevent annoying situations like losing accuracy because you hit a small ledge in the terrain.

Heavy Assault Shield

-We’re adding a ramp up time to the activation of all Heavy Assault shield abilities. The goal is to change the shield away from an instant-win button and more towards something that requires positioning and proper timing, which is our goal with all class abilities.

MAX ability adjustments

-NC: We’re adding the ability to sprint while the shield is active. Coverage will be less while sprinting.
    -TR: We’re speeding up the Lockdown entry and exit so that it can better react to changing situations.
    -VS: General balance adjustments so that the reward more closely matches the risk
    Hopefully they rethink the HA shield changes, as many have already commented the current mechanics and the delay would conflict on whether you should be using them reactively or proactively.

I'm also expecting the Vanguard's shield to be toned down / changed.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Re: Some Upcomming Balance Changes

dont you touch my vanguard! its the only thing that keeps me playing this game! =p jk

Comment

The change to the AV MANA turret is overdue. I love the thing, but it's obscenely powerful for something that's so easy to bring to the battle. The auto-spot is an interesting change, and one that sounds like it'd encourage volley-fire to minimize the chances of a good nest being spotted before making kills. It'll reduce one of the issues of the MANA AV in that it's so difficult to tell where the fire is COMING from, since the missile trail isn't particularily visible.

I like the Heavy shield change, on paper. It really WAS an "I win" button for a fight against a non-heavy, and proper usage was just requiring that you put the shield on a hair-trigger for the moment you started taking hits. Now you'll have to premeditate it, which I like.

The change to the MAX abilities is interesting. The ability to charge with a shield is a welcome addition, and I think it'll open up some additional options, like using them to push over open terrain or better close the gap for a scattercannon barrage. Certainly, it'll make room breaches more effective. I wonder how much the lockdown buffs will help it, though... really depends on if the lockdown time has been made short enough to justify it. Most of the time you'll still want to be mobile to avoid getting a decimator in the face. And the VS ZOE alterations are unspecified, so we can't really tell what'll change, but I'd guess that the ZOE will get a bit of a buff. I haven't seen it around at ALL lately, I suspect it got overnerfed.

Comment

Oh dear the other factions are going to be MAD!! If our maxes can sprint into a room and get by their wall of fire.....hehehehehehe Were going to decimate them:icon26:
        sigpic

Comment

I would really rather have the ability to have a shield in one are and shotgun in the other arm as a max.

This vague MBT change scares me.

The mana turret has been over powered since day 1. But I have never used the turret, only killed people on them so I'll let other people rage about it.

Heavy shield is fine; leave it alone. The heavy is supposed to be able to take more hits and not being able to use the shield quickly while under fire is stupid.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
          ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Over a year in this game and they are still trying to get the balance right? With the AV turret, even if it auto-spots itself, if it doesn't render you still can't kill it.

Comment

These are some interesting changes. It is almost certain that the Vanguard shield will be toned down, either in life or damage absorbed (heck it might just mitigate damage?), which is a shame. Personally they should just improve the other tanks' abilities over nerfing ours (Lockdown is already great and a good magbooster is pretty solid).

I'm curious about the HA shield changes. I see where they are coming from; sure the HA should have an advantage at combat but the shield ability is totally a win button given 1-1 situation. Adding a little bit of skill to the use of the ability seems smart to me.

Buffing back the Harasser sounds good. It really fell out of favor post the necessary changes and so making it better is always a plus.

AV turrets... what needs to be said that hasn't already?

C75? Hah. Looks like SOE realized how good they made that cannon. Currently its a great 'Jack of all Trades' weapon and it should not be that way.

Comment

It says "small changes" so likely it wont effect the grand scheme of things. With the nature of the Vanguard right now... it would be useless without that shield.

If they gave me some better traction and power to my vanguard I would completely except some kind of resistance shield.

Comment

What I don't understand and hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me, is why keep changing things instead of just putting it in the game and then letting the player find out how best to handle the assets? In just about every scenario there have been ways to address things that 'seemed' overpowering, but it required you do some homework and maybe change your strategy. It's seems the current way of thinking is lets put an asset in the game...............but if it kills too many people then let's nerf it...........whooops we nerfed it too bad so let's buff it..........rinse and repeat. Instead of just letting us play the thing out and figure out ways to address them. Any thoughts?

Comment

I agree and disagree.

I think there is a fine line that SOE is trying to tread here in regards to a sandbox war and something truly competitive and balanced. 'Balance' is ultimately a weasel word because it means absolutely nothing without context and is wholly subjected to personal biases. 'Competitive' is also a little nebulous in definition but it's spirit is generally well understood.

SOE is trying to toe the line between all the various elements of its combined arms game so that no one section, weapon, play style, or method is overwhelming superior. To an extent you can argue, just let the community figure it out!, and day in and out they do. However, other things just simply are the definition of uncompetitive: ZOE was a great example of something uncompetitive and the Harasser was as well. Something that is uncompetitive is a feature or facet of a game which prohibits and deters competition.

For example tic-tac-toe is uncompetitive merely because it is unwinnable with its original rule set if the first player moves in the center. Likewise the old ZOE created some terrible situations and brought out data that showed how frequently the Vanu were using their MAXes over other factions. Now they are saying that they dislike the HA's shield function and that its not playing out like they'd wish it to. I agree with them because since the days of beta people have been claiming that the HA is the single best workhorse class in the game. The new shield mechanics will help bring it more on par with the LA and not give it such an advantage over the other classes.

Finally SOE is wanting to create a general battlefield dynamic which other assets aren't working with: the AV turret, the Vanguard's Shield, the old Harasser, old ROFLpods, and so on. So they'll balance things out until the dynamic resembles a goal in mind.

As an aside PS2 will never ever be finished. It'll be constantly changing and updated and frankly that is a good thing because stagnation is death in the video game industry.

Comment

I guess then it's just a matter of perspective, I personally have no problem killing a heavy with full shields on with a head shot and actually appreciate it when they turn the shield on since I can see them better. I've never felt as though the HA was over powering and as such hardly ever played the character. When Finestyle and I were tearing up the battlefield with the Harrasser, there were plenty of players that could get the best of us, but they had to have some sort of plan to do it. Just like we had a plan to take them on. I guess the problem SOE has is trying to keep the competitive player happy playing in the sandbox, which is going to be difficult.

I agree that change is necessary to keep an old title fresh and new. That's why most FPS companies introduce new maps, game play, DLC with new weapons and camo. But to take a weapon that people buy with hard earned money and then a month or two down the road, change that weapon to something different than what you originally bought isn't a good thing in my opinion. And from my experience taking a weapon (Railjack) and having one thing on the PSTS and then presenting a different weapon on the live server is just criminal. I recommended a lot of people invest in the Railjack because of what it was on the PSTS, now I have to personally answer to those people since the weapon is different on the live server......... would you be a fan of the way SOE does things?

But we are getting off the original post and I apologize to Jengles for that.

Comment

To hazard a dance in the realm of off-topicness I agree with you Rage. Its a really sticky area that SOE is venturing into that has no precedent really. On one hand I'm one of those people who bought the Phoenix when it originally came out and loved that weapon to death. The power it granted was awesome and it was a lot of fun to just up and pick off people with it. Then after a month or so when I came back I saw that they had severely reduced it's damage potential and was disappointed.

It is a fine line to toe when catering to a few potentially counteracting desires: a competitive game needs to be competitive and 'fair' to the most amount of players to have the widest appeal and a retail weapon shouldn't be worthless (especially at the price points they hit) and changing the weapon for balance reasons can appear as a bait and switch in the eyes of the buyers. Ultimately a weapon will need to be balanced after release because there is no way to predict how the weapon will effect the game in the large and long scales. This is never a problem in a regular retail game because the player never bought the gun themselves, rather they bought the expansion pack or the whole game, but here it's a problem because people buy specific weapons and get the game for free.

My personal preference? I'm not a huge fan of what they do but I don't see them being malicious about it nor do I really see any way around it. It is simply impossible to playtest these guns on the scale required before they can be released. There might be a way around it like a free week trial after any gun is introduced but beyond that it's never going to be perfect. Finally, I've always felt that PS2 has been in perpetual beta. So much of the core game is still being developed and evolving, much of the additional features and huge content packages have been put off till later this year or even beyond. We'll get to some equilibrium at some point but that can only happen while we continue to play the game and they get to see the data.

Comment

Does this mean Harasser squads are back? I barely got to use mine after certing it up.

Comment

Originally posted by TYHBoom View Post
                            Does this mean Harasser squads are back? I barely got to use mine after certing it up.
                            ^_^ I haven't touched the harasser since the nerf. That 321 kills till auraxium on halberd is calling my name.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
                            ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Personally, I'm a little confused on the changes to the HA shield ability. In my experience, the shield has never been an 'instant win button'. I seem to die just as quickly with the shield activated, as I do without it.

I am, however, happy to see that SOE is addressing the problem of dropping out of your sights/scope when you unintentionally fall.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X