Outfit Rep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Outfit Rep

"If your outfit is the top contributor to a base capture, we’ll identify the facility/outpost as “belonging” to your outfit." -- JGood, PS2 Developer

I thought this was really interesting.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...capture.83039/

Re: Outfit Rep

I feel that this is part of their effort to help make the Outfits more on the forefront of this game. I wonder if this is a good way to test certain 'advertorial' means? Until ownership actually grants an ingame benefit (which might not be a balanced thing) I doubt it'll be anything more than a form of epeen/advertisement.

Comment

Yeah, this is a prestige thing. My concerns are that it'll result in some deleterious behaviour by outfits trying to claim territory, depending on the formula they end up using. My hope is that the prestige results in some interesting battles and personal/inter-outfit dynamics between factions. For instance, if The Enclave were still around, I bet that it would taste extra sweet to take one of THEIR bases.

Comment

I see this being a detriment to the game. Big outfits will look for one another and probably drop a fellow outfit like a hot rock to go off to fight their rival at the drop of a hat. This I think will breed Buzzcut's by the dozens.
        sigpic

Comment

I expect the same thing, but I don't think it'll be entirely detrimental, to be honest. Hell, BCP was probably a boon to us on our side of the server, since he gave us a nice villain to rally against. Less fun on the TR side, as I understand it.

Definitely need to be careful in the implementation, though.

Comment

This does seem like one more incentive for ultra-aggressive zerging playstyles. It adds no incentive to defend territories that don't belong to your outfit, but every territory you cap gets your name on it. So zerg on, zerg on! :/
            Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

They could easily calculate contribution per outfit team member in the area, so I think zerging could be minimized.

Comment

Flip that the other way around, though: you now HAVE an incentive to defend a base if it's got your tag on it, and the reasons for defending a base without it remain the same as before.

Comment

I dont like this idea.. the only way a small outfit would get any recognition would only be if they are ghost capping. Lets be honest I dont think we will be seeing TG tags anywhere during alerts. Well when Im online at night.

It would be better if the outfit whole flipped the point/stayed for the whole time without being wiped then they should get ownership.

Comment

Epeens keep people in the game. Look at EVE. This is the kind of thing where I don't think you need to reward small outfits - they are generally not in it for the same thing that big outfit players are.

I don't see this as something that will effect the tactical behavior of 90% of the players, but it might motivate more people to get to the keyboard during prime time ops, which is ultimately what will keep PS2 alive.
                    In game handle: Steel Scion
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah. It's okay if small outfits aren't able to claim big rewards, as long as they can carve out their own niche. EVE is a good example, there... the biggest corporations and alliances can literally carve out borders and territory in the game's lawless null-sec zones, while small ones absolutely cannot... but if the small ones want to participate in that territory game, they can always sign on with one of the alliances, and if they don't want to they can operate outside that game and define success their own way, without really being harmed by it.

To rephrase what Steel said, a sense of ownership is essential to people buying into the game. Whether it's being able to claim some aspect of an operation as "something WE did" or even feeling pride and a degree of ownership within their entire faction (or even the game proper), it's the sort of thing that makes people stick with it, build a small part of their identity around it, and sustain it. Human beings are STRONGLY motivated by a sense of identity, often to the exclusion of all else.

Comment

Anyone remember TE? Buzz would have all of his HA's buy the striker as well as anyone buying guns that were OP at the time. When TE left they took a revenue stream with them, Maybe that's the idea of base ownership, to build bigger outfits that will replace that revenue stream and introduce OP weapons then buff them later to introduce newer ones. Just a thought.

Comment

A cynical, cynical thought.

Comment

Actually it's good business........

Comment

I'd be surprised if this were the case. Most of the game developers themselves are very passionate people and don't really benefit too much from any of that increased revenue in the first place.
                              The only place this could really happen is in the pricing of unintentionally overpowered weapons in delay of future balance to said item that is making SOE revenue. It would be less premeditated and more "oh... well it couldn't hurt too much" (this is in the most cynical terms as possible)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X