Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Air Vehicle - Valkyrie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgGL1...ature=youtu.be

Apparently due for late summer. It's a small, 4-man rapid transport vehicle, with one pilot, one gunner, and two rumble seats. It definitely LOOKS neat, and I wonder how it'll play out with squad composition (as well as how it'll compete with a galaxy). I could easily see this used in a 12 man squad with 6 people providing CAS and 6 pushing in on the ground, or if CAS isn't needed (or the pilot also has weapon access) 3 in the air and 9 on the ground.

If the weapon setup is reasonably effective for A2A and the vehicle is tough enough to hold up in a dogfight, this might also be an interesting addition to air superiority or CAS squads.

Re: New vehicle reveal

As hideous as that Valkyrie model is, it looks like I've got something else to hoard certs for now that the lib update is over...

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

New Air Vehicle - Valkyrie

Not sure if this was posted yet but I figure in case it wasn't I would put it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=SgGL1jcHAPo

I'm curious everyone's thoughts. Personally I'm looking for essentially a Black hawk and this looks like its an attempt at a PS2 equivalent.
      What I like about it:
      1. Looks as though it will be faster than GAL
      2. Smaller than Gal
      3. Meant as support/transport
      4. Passengers look as though they will be exposed to fire. (I like for balance reasons)

What I dont like:
      1. Seems as though it is intended to be a more direct attack vehicle with its front mounted weapons. Would rather a more team based support vehicle with weapons mounted on the sides
      2. Only carries 4 people instead of 6 ( Likely to balance with having 3 fully manned per squad as opposed to two
      3. The fact that it is a 4 man vehicle and has a more aerodynamic look leads me to believe it will be a lighter faster vehicle type than I am looking for. (Personally wish it was more like a lib, speed and durability wise trading firepower for manning.)

Overall thoughts: I'm looking forward to it but I fear its going fall short of my expectations. It looks to be a more hit and run vehicle like a harasser instead of a more tanky vehicle like an up-armored Humvee except for the air.

Comment

Re: New Air Vehicle - Valkyrie

Starstriker beat you by 15 minutes.

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

Yeah I saw that after I posted it. Maybe an admin can combine the two into one?

Comment

I really hope they dont allow people to be able to drop c4 and mines from it....

Comment

Can almost guarantee that'll be the case. Don't really see how that's any more disruptive than dropping light assaults or engineers from the Valkyrie, though.

Comment

Awesome! This will make all my dreams of being able to pilot the G.I. Joe Skyhawk finally come to fruition :D In all seriousness though, this is exactly the type of aircraft that I've been waiting for to show up. A fast and nimble transport vehicle with two pilots.

Comment

The two similar threads have been merged.

This thing could be pretty sweet. Really curious as to its survivability, performance, etc. Given that we will be seeing 4 man fire teams in the near future, size wise, it's positioned to be well suited as a fire team asset. Higby stated that the 2 passengers will be able to use their personal weps, including lock on launchers to help defend the craft. Can't wait to try it out.

Comment

I'd honestly prefer it to be a 6 man vehicle. That fits better with a 4-man fireteam setup, IMO. In a 12 man squad, two Valkyrie's drop OFF two fire teams, and then themselves form a 4 man air support fire team. A fire team that has half the people flying around above is not really a cohesive fireteam.

Another problem with a 4 man crew is that it's too CAS heavy for the squad, in my mind. In a 12 man squad, that's putting fully half the team in air assets and only leaving a small 6 man crew to run ground operations, which is way too lean to do anything meaty. Conversely, if you've got two Valkyries running CAS and 8 people on the ground, you've got enough people to hold your own as a squad (the extra 2 people really do make a difference) with a pair of flexible CAS options. If the CAS gets shot down or driven off by AA in that scenario, it's less of a crippling blow to the squad.

Another advantage of increased transport capacity? You could leave the Valkyrie pilots and gunners in their own squad and have them provide transport to other squads, and be able to command and control them as a distinct CAS unit, or have them ferry disparate squads around. With a 2 passenger limit, you'd either need 6 of these things in the air with full crews, or 4 of them if you were okay with not having permanent gunners.

Comment

This is probably going to be my air baby of choice. I absolutely loved piloting Transport Helicopters in PR and this thing looks like it can shape up to become a cross between the Rocket Huey and the regular one.

This craft is simultaneously an attack vehicle and a transport vehicle. SOE can give this craft new airframe cert paths which expand upon each function and role. IE Better Armor/Armament for the loss of transport capacity OR more transport capacity in exchange for not increasing the armor, hindering the flight characteristics a little more, and not adding weaponry (maybe add shock absorbers for air drops?).

Either way, be it out the gate or through a cert path upgrade system, this Valkyrie should have a maximum passenger capacity of four people.

It'll be interesting to see if this will gain the Galaxy Squad AMS function or if it'll be more obeying to old rules of logistics.

Comment

well as i see it it is harasser but in the air?
                        the thing is that it should not be used as a transport but as a close air support air unit?
                        but yea i could not a agree with you gys more, they need two setups for valkyrie:1.close support air unit with gunner, pilot and two passanger seats and 2. fast transport unit for pilot(ofc) and 5 or 6 passanger seats.
                        what do you think about that?
                        and btw im I the only one who is so f execited for valkyrie? :D

Comment

What I would of liked would be to have all esf fixed winged and make this the CAS.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostshooter101 View Post
                            What I would of liked would be to have all esf fixed winged and make this the CAS.

Project Reality proved that you need truly giant maps (with good rendering ranges) to have fun and contemporary fixed wing combat, furthermore it was also incredibly difficult to balance the air assets against the ground assets. I think the current version that PS2 has, which is more VTOL assault craft, is sufficient for the scope of the game right now. Frankly, contemporary Air Combat has a lot more to do with what you can't visually see than what your equipment can. People just wont have fun with that.

(One day I do hope they expand into fixed wing fights: imagine two 'BF2142 Titans' Cough Cough Bastions fighting high in the sky with fighters and transport craft shuttling between the two?)

Comment

I've saved up 4000 certs just for this lol

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse