What is TG really about?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is TG really about?

It's because derping around requires more strategy and tactics than actually playing the objective and then someone gets mad at me for derping around and say "This is not how TG plays" so I end up just taking them into a total mess of a zerg (because that's the only option during prime time) where we are everything but useful and then I end up swearing and raging and eventually rage quit because this game is just so stupid a brick could take my place.

Comment

Some of the most fun times I've had on ps2 is with a Lamar derp squad. Organization was tight, cohesion was good, and we had fun. Is that the TG way?

I like the idea of forcing regular members to lead for 30 minutes but it has to be understood that it would be a constantly ongoing learning process, and will certainly result in a casual or unorganized and maybe sometimes frustrating times. Will people understand that it is necessary and will not quit playing because the squad is not playing in the proper TG way at that point?
      Communications, Cohesion, Confidence.

Comment

I normal start a Casual Squad by inviting another TG member then opening it up to outfit. On a normal Night I might open it up to public after a few TG members have joined or invite helpfull players to the squad.

On a some Friday nights I open a TG only squads 'like a holding squad', just to get as many members in one command, ready to be taken over or be absorbed by the FNF.

As my time zone is so far from the bulk of TG, Your Prime time around 19:00, is my sleep time 2-3am so when I leave the party is just starting, and the platoon is about to fill up.

I also suffer with mad lag after been connected for over 30 minutes, well 'I' dont suffer, I just see tanks fly around and players running under the hills. But when I start TKing others with a deployed sunny, its time for me to reconnect (Sorry D.O.T :P)

Many time Ill have to pass lead to another TG member to reconnect. I beleve I passed it to JerJB a few times before his 6 hour stint and left it with him when I have to finaly disconnect. He was still leading later that night after 12am, but when he had enough(around 2am), it was way to late for me to retake the lead.

So for me, Its hard to be a leader anyway, but I feel its better to have TG members doing the same thing together and communicating to each other via squad chat or even Team Speak, than having them disconnect because no one else is up for leading.

I am not a Good leader and dont follow the whole 3 map strat, I also have to turn off Command chat when there is a lot of activity (mainly static). I will have a look at the current map to see where others have put attact and defend markers and wieght up the value of going there. I also listen to other squad members and outfits prox chat and see if 'we' can help with an attack.

When I run a squad, its normally a small helper squad, ready to assist in or around an attack/defend marker , either with spawn options (sunny) with protecting armor, or galaxy/lib patrol to suppress advancing assets.

When ever I do PL I tend to run it as ONE large squad, with the option to send a squad to another location which may help our current objective.

I communicate very little squad lead wise (even less when the comms are down), my largest input is usualy Intel based, location on enermy assets, SL or Squad member.

I also like running a TG mix with other outfit PLs, to see how they run and to show them how well TG members work together and compliment the other forces.

I know I dont run as strict as the TG way, but I do what I can to keep the game fun for me and the squad.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

I just led a squad from about 4:30 to 6:00 P.M. It was a public squad and I had 12 members and 5 TG guys including me. The squad went very well and I had some great guys from outfits like VCO.

Public Test squad #1 was a success; thanks to everyone who joined.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
          ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Originally posted by Llamar View Post
            It's because derping around requires more strategy and tactics than actually playing the objective and then someone gets mad at me for derping around and say "This is not how TG plays" so I end up just taking them into a total mess of a zerg (because that's the only option during prime time) where we are everything but useful and then I end up swearing and raging and eventually rage quit because this game is just so stupid a brick could take my place.

"Tactical Gamer expects our members to behave in a mature fashion, whether it's in-game or on the forums. Here are some of our ground rules -

No swearing.
            No abusive behavior.
            No racist, sexist or discriminatory comments.
            Respect for other players must be maintained at all times.
            Respect the chain of command and follow squad and platoon leader orders."

Also next time you rage quit please pass squad lead to someone else, Thank you.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've broken all of those rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Llamar View Post
                I'm pretty sure I've broken all of those rules.
                Maybe you should fix that.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
                ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Originally posted by penandpencilman View Post
                  Maybe you should fix that.
                  Thats what makes me me though.

Comment

Llamar, that's not an excuse. It's also not true. Those are surface behaviours and not core to who any person is, and they are all easily changed through a little discipline and self-awareness. More to the point, those are behaviours that are context dependent, and which you already probably vary depending on the situation. Think of TG as "polite company", and vary your behaviour accordingly. If you like to cuss up a storm when hanging out at the bar, have at it, but just like you would (I hope) not do so at, say, a job interview, you don't do it here.

More importantly, whenever you wear our tags you're an ambassador for us and our ideals. If you want to swear like a sailor, create an alt without the tag, but don't do it while you're representing us. This goes double because you're often in a leadership role, so it's even more important that you set a good example for others and make a good show of following and enforcing our rules.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                      Llamar, that's not an excuse. It's also not true. Those are surface behaviours and not core to who any person is, and they are all easily changed through a little discipline and self-awareness. More to the point, those are behaviours that are context dependent, and which you already probably vary depending on the situation. Think of TG as "polite company", and vary your behaviour accordingly. If you like to cuss up a storm when hanging out at the bar, have at it, but just like you would (I hope) not do so at, say, a job interview, you don't do it here.

More importantly, whenever you wear our tags you're an ambassador for us and our ideals. If you want to swear like a sailor, create an alt without the tag, but don't do it while you're representing us. This goes double because you're often in a leadership role, so it's even more important that you set a good example for others and make a good show of following and enforcing our rules.
                      'You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to starstriker1 again.' Well said. TG is not here to cater to everyone's personal play styles or personal behaviors. We have removed numerous folks from the outfit in the past because they could not adhere to our code of conduct or because they embraced a play style that is not representative of our community goals.

Comment

Any time I'm in doubt I ask myself what Lamar Davis would do.

Comment

You know, as I read this thread I am increasingly saddened to hear what has been transpiring in TG. When I first started about a year ago I can still remember Randy saying 'Can someone pull a Sunderer we're going to X base' I said I can and pulled one and then loaded everyone up and preceded to drive in the opposite direction and in the process of trying to turn it around killed everyone in the Sunderer. Oh and then there was the time I dropped a pod on Randy's newly pull Sunderer back in the day when a pod drop could destroy a Sunderer.......that went over like a fart in an elevator.

I guess the point that I'm trying to say is that I remember those times as a new player and not knowing what to do led me to doing the wrong things, a lot of water has gone under the bridge since that time. I've since placed a lot of time in game as many of us have. And as such have seen what works and what doesn't, and more importantly from those early days have seen how it should be accomplished the TG way. Tight comms, more cohesive squads, focused objective, and less than tolerant attitude to inappropriate squad behavior. I'll be the first to admit that as I learned more about the game I became more critical of the leadership, not because of the way that they ran things but because of the tactical method they decided to approach an objective.

This leads me to thinking that maybe it is a mandate for the guys that have been around a long time and have approached the game from certain (and different) tactical methods to step up and do some leading in the TG manner way of doing things. Maybe it's time for the higher BR's to teach through example the way to not only be better at the game but to be a better Tactical Gaming member. Maybe it's time to give back what we so richly took from the community that allowed us to be better gamers............We have 10 members that are BR90 or higher, so I issue a personal challenge to those 10 members to this Friday step up on the Matterson server and SL/PL the TG squads in a cooperative platoon to show the newer guys what TG and this game is all about. I suggest that the squads be all TG members, that said it means that the members that are TG come on Friday night and join a TG squad. If your in game and see someone that carries a TG tag then tell them about this Friday night since not everyone comes to the forum............I will be there leading a squad, I'm pretty sure Penny will be there..........let's see how many other 90's or better will be there leading showing the newer guys 'What TG is all about'..........Jengles, you out there my friend?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryker View Post
                            So to wrap this up, have any of you guys noticed this or am I imagining things?
                            This is actually something I've noticed for quite a while. I've mentioned it before, even, that I feel like the Outfit is not the same one I joined originally. But it goes for the same reasons that have already been stated in previous posts. I was definitely swept up by the energy of Randy's Platoons. Being part of those groups actually changed my outlook on Planetside 2.

And I will sheepishly admit.. I didn't even know we HAD officers playing PS2. It just doesn't feel like there is any leadership in the game (beyond the forums).

Originally posted by Toddshooter View Post
                            In the meantime how about we cut out the :"Casual Squads" and go back to open tight TG squads for the time being?
                            Unfortunately, I don't see this as a viable solution.. "Casual Squads" are the only ways we're currently getting people to volunteer to be SLs. :/
                            Casual vs Tight is something that should be determined based on the comfort level of the person who is being SL. And restricting it one way or the other inevitably becomes exclusive (e.g., newer people don't want to try leading because they don't think they can herd cats well enough).

Originally posted by JerJB View Post
                            We have a lot of regulars that won't step up to lead.
                            And while I think this is actually somewhat part of the problem, I think it is a bit of a loaded statement. Some regulars can't step up to lead. As much as I read about people sitting down to lead squads for 4-6 hours, I can't fathom a time when I would be able to pull that off. I'm married and have 2 small children... I'm lucky to get 30 minutes of uninterrupted play. :P So... despite being happy to lead when possible, I never know when my gaming time is going to be cut short.

That said, 'time' doesn't really predicate an ability to lead. And I don't think it's fair to push leadership on people who don't feel qualified.

Originally posted by Zombiesnack99 View Post
                            I like the idea of forcing regular members to lead for 30 minutes...
                            So while this sounds like a good idea, it's really not... Actually, forcing people to do things is never a good idea. And while you'll get participation from it for a while, you're eventually going to erode any chance of building TG back up to its former glory. Some people are going to be worse at leading than others.
                            And people are generally harder on themselves than they should be, but that's human nature (unless you're a sociopath). People who 'think' they are bad are going to constantly get discouraged with their own performance and not enjoy the game as much as they should. People who don't take criticism well are going to get discouraged; or worse yet, won't take criticism. More experienced players in the fold of newer leaders may get frustrated and rage quit rather than encouraging or helping the newer leaders.

Last night, Matthew actually did something that I've only ever seen Ryker do before: His last action before stepping down was to have everyone redeploy to the Warpgate for a semi-AAR to review his performance. I think I would like to see more of that. But moreso than just a quiet Q&A, I'd like to see "officers" (who I assume have earned their status) providing them with usable feedback. It's encouraging, it's educational (not just for him, but for others), and it's actionable.

Comment

We are very short of outfit officers at present. There are currently only 4 active officers. Active is open to interpretation as I'm time constrained currently and like Revalis have a hard time getting any serious length of game time going, especially during the week. Mindkill is tending to his mom, whose been in hospital, so he's been AFK this week and last. Daddy of Three, as his name indicates, is a parent, with all the responsibilities that entails. We also have Toddshooter, whose parental status escapes me at present, who gets as much time in as he can, when he can.

I would recruit more admin/officers in a heartbeat but players must be supporting members of TG, be very well versed at interpreting the Primer and quite importantly, must have the right attitude and temperament. Those folks are hard to come by. I can teach you about interpreting the Primer but I don't control your wallet or your attitude. I've approached several folks, who were not SMs, that I thought would make excellent officers, but they are not in a position, financially, to contribute to the running of the community. I don't hold that against them at all, being very aware of the tight fiscal times. Supporting members help keep the forum lights on and they pay for the game servers that TG hosts. I don't bring the topic up much because I don't like to tell folks that hey, if you pay some dough, I'll promote you. I'd much prefer that people take up an SM because they truly want to help cover the communities expenses.

The lack of officers has been an ongoing issue with PS2 since nearly the beginning of TG's support for the title. That is why we created the NCO group and the in game rank to go with it. Initially the NCOs mainly assisted with recruiting but their responsibilities have increased to help bridge the gap that not having enough officers creates. They are supposed to be the backbone of the outfit, supporting training, leading squads and keeping the riff raff in check. They are generally folks that have consistently stepped up to lead squads on a regular basis. They are nominated and elected to the group by the other NCOs and the officers. When you have a problem with another member or have a question on policy, they are your first stop before contacting outfit administration. They are designated in game, on the outfit screen, with the rank of NCO.

We are always looking for more folks to step up to the NCO team. Most folks don't ever have to ask to join, as the team is quick to point out upcoming talent. If you lead squads and platoons a lot but have yet to be asked to take part in the program, ask us what you need to change to get yourself on the radar. We may have already discussed your case and can give you clear directions as to what needs to change to get you where you need to be.

So, the long and short is that there is a support system in place. If it's faltering, it can be fixed but we need members to step up. No one should expect anything to be handed to them. Folks should be asking themselves, first and foremost, what can I do to help support TG's mission. That may mean taking a look at your attitude, knocking off the excess comms chatter so folks can focus on the objective, stepping up to run a squad or encouraging more folks to visit the forums. Reread the Primer, live it, love it and pass it on to others. TG is a very special community of people and it is not for everyone. For some, the best thing they can do for TG and themselves may be to find another community that better suits their personality or play style.

That all said, I still have more I'd like to add. I'm late for supper currently so I'll have to leave off for now. Hopefully I can post some more thoughts tomorrow afternoon. And so not to leave on a down note, I know that we can rise to any challenge that faces us. Thanks to everyone that has shared their thoughts on how to improve the operation of the outfit.

Comment

I've been thinking about trying out for NCO seeing that I've been spending more time SL/helping others or recruiting then anythings else. If there is anything I need to work on or change to qualify for the position please let me know. (besides being a supporting member. I have no problem paying the monthly sub)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X