Advice needed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed.

So I'm new at SL-ing and have started to notice my strong points and my weak points. I have only SL-ed five times in TG now and have seen that the two times I SL-ed under a PL, I was a better SL. It seems that when I SL I get so focused on how we are going to fight, that I miss the part where I chose where to fight; and that sometimes works and other times ends us up with us in a fight where the squad gets wiped over and over again. But at the same time I have PL-ed once in TG and I was just fine with finding a good fight and ordering the squads around in such a way as to be most effective. So I know that I'm okay with tactics and strategy but when I try to do them at the same time, it normally ends in a big fireball with me wondering what I did wrong. So I guess I'm asking for advice about how to mix SL-ing and PL-ing together. Yes I know that I'm only one month into pc gaming and that some of it comes with time but I also know that there are lots of amazing Squad Leaders in TG and so I ask you for your tips and advise. I'm still learning but if there is anything else about my squad leading that I'm doing wrong (Which is a lot) please tell me. I want to be a great leader that people are willing to follow and here is everyone's chance to help mold me into that leader. I hope that one day I will be able to give back to TG what TG has already given to me.

Again thanks and feel free to be open about what you think.
    "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Re: Advice needed.

Well first of all I would like to say this has come up before in the 'Aid to new Sl's' Post by StarStriker1 (It was more for existing members, you could look and see if you can find anything useful there) and I'm happy that you brought it forth again, don't hesitate to ask any of the TG guys for help wherever within the game. While I was in a squad you were SL'ing I noticed a few things about how you led. First off I would recommend that you are more affirmative about your commands and also be more strict. Lets say that a certain person within your squad isn't listening to you, just send him a warning with a time limit that is reasonable - if he does not comply then just kick him. Another thing I would recommend that you do is to keep the squad together and not let people stray off in any which direction. As not being with your squad for very long I cannot really say much more, you might want to watch someone like Randy or Garthra lead for a bit and learn from them. I believe at one point Randy had a SL training day before he left, you will have to ask him about that.
    sigpic

Do or do not, there is no try. -Yoda

Comment

Im sure you have seen the threads that Rage has made about this coming friday. The plan is to have some of the more experinced members to squad lead and show new players some examples of squad leading. I hope Rage or whoever is PL to allow people to jump around different squads so they can witness different styles. If you cant make it, I'd be more then happy to start a squad with you and using Teamspeak I can help you out with the basics.

Comment

As it was brought up by Ghost, I just have to comment on Rage's idea. I posted in the general forum thread but I will reiterate here that battle rank in PS2 has no direct correlation to someone's ability, temperament or suitability to lead a squad or platoon. While I appreciate Rage trying to get something organized the stated focus on battle rank is simply not appropriate.

Comment

My advice is never to SL and PL at the same time. Get someone to take over your current squad, then either move into an empty squad or mute your squad comms. They are distinct jobs with a lot of individual pressures, and the important concept to keep in mind is cognitive load.

Running a squad (read: cat herding) is a full time job in and of itself, especially since you're often in the think of things getting shot at yourself (though, for the same reason, you probably should be assigning someone ELSE to take point and staying further back in the group so that you can read the whole situation instead of staring down your sights). Platoon leading is also a demanding job, requiring you to read the situation with fuzzy data, track and coordinate multiple squads, coordinate with the rest of the faction, and look at the big picture. In either case, the cognitive load can easily expand to fill your entire attention, and so any additional tasks outside that scope will impact your ability to work within that scope. An SL who is also running a platoon will find either his squad suffering from lack of close direction or the platoon as a whole suffering from lack of attention to other squads or lack of attention to big picture issues. My experience is that when doing both jobs I'm doing both of them poorly instead of one of them well.

It's also just tiring. Leading a squad takes a lot out of you, leading a platoon leaves you at your wits end after a few hours, and adding the two together is a recipe for burnout and frustration.

This logic also extends to squads members and to platoon leaders coordinating within larger structures. A squad member shouldn't be looking at the strategic map and tracking battles on the other side of the map, they should be focusing on their job and doing their job as best as humanly possible. On the platoon lead side, I've found that additional focus granted from having a higher-up in the command chain (specifically, when I've liased with Stratcom) has freed me to stop worrying about the strategic picture and just focus on the middle-tier objective and coordinating my squads towards that objective. Much less stressful and much more effective.

Comment

Thanks for stepping up for SL'ing Matthew, from what I've seen you've been doing a great job.

As anamit said, be affirmative and don't be afraid to tell a member he/she is doing something wrong.

Also, have fun! If you are not having fun squad leading, most likely members aren't have fun either.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
            ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Mathew I have been in your squads a couple of times and you are doing a great job. It is hard to lead an experienced group sometimes because they think they know best. Like others have said when you are SL or PL be assertive. We are here to follow you and execute your orders.
              Keep up the good work!

Todd
              sigpic

Comment

Rage pm'em me and apparently the thread got shut down because sombody didnt think it was a good idea for experienced squad leads to show the inexperienced how its done... i dont know the whole story buy as it is my mind is blown..
                Edit : heh i glanced at the thread aparently the event was for high brs to lead instead of experienced leads. I still think the event should go through but have the experienced leads hosting and leading.

Matt,

Think of your attention as a resource, when you are platoon leading that requires a certain percentage of your attention and when you talking on command is takes more as well as squad leading. The thing is humans really only can focus on one or two complex things at a time so you dont have enough of this resource to spread around. For example if you are giving attention to the map and where to put bravo and charlie in relation to the opfor you might miss something like squad composition or group cohiession in your alpha squad because you were paying your attention to the former. Look its like a roof that is full of holes and its raining, you try to cover the holes with a tarp which is your attention, when you are squad leading the roof is small and your tarp covers most of the holes, but when you take on more like platoon leading and the command channel your roof quadroples in size, but even though your roof is bigger and there are more holes to attend to your tarp doesnt get any bigger.

Some solutions,

1) Iknow staratriker likes to separate the two aspects and will rarely if ever platoon lead while squad leading, i think he may have posted already here but tlrd cause yolo? ... any way by separating these two aspects of leading and only being a platoon lead you have more attention freed up for you to use and make more informed calls. So with our rainy day analogy you get another tarp to cover the roof.

2) If you wish to do both this is will take a little bit of effort and time. The brains neural pathways are like highways and the more you do something the more lanes the the highway aquires and the more direct the route becomes. So what this means is when encounting a problem you dont have to spend time rending a solution, you simply recall the plethora of similar problems you have encountered before and immediately use a similar solution you have found in the past.
                This results in a quick decision that does not take away for your resource of attention that is already spread thin and in high demand.
                Last edited by Ryker; 04-09-2014, 03:25 PM.
                SPEAK UP! and lets combat the fog of war together.

Comment

Be assertive and confident and don't be worried that you're coming off like an ass because you're not. Assertion and confidence are admired qualities especially by TG players.

If you lead strong your squad plays strong. If you lead weak your squad plays weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryker View Post
                    Rage pm'em me and apparently the thread got shut down because sombody didnt think it was a good idea for experienced squad leads to show the inexperienced how its done... i dont know the whole story buy as it is my mind is blown..
                    Edit : heh i glanced at the thread aparently the event was for high brs to lead instead of experienced leads. I still think the event should go through but have the experienced leads hosting and leading.
                    The entire thread is still there for all to see the reasons behind why the idea was stopped. TG squads are not run by points and BR is no indication of how well a person leads.. The emphasis that some people put on points in this game needs to stop. This is our first step.

By all means this friday lets have all experienced Squad and Platoon leaders. I think it is a great idea to have a Friday night as a learn TG night. What we will not have is more experienced and capable leaders being supplanted by those with a higher Battle Rank.

There is no conspiracy and nothing is being hidden just as an FYI incase this is what is thought. Todd
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks guy for all the reply's. I really appreciate all the help. I have more to say but I'm having a hard time forming my thoughts right now. I'm really excited for Friday and what will happen but unfortunately I will not be able to be there. My nephew died and I will be going to his funeral. But if we could do the same thing next Friday I would really like to come. Thanks again.
                      "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Matt.

Comment

Really sorry to hear that Matthew. Don't worry we will be doing a few of these training/Learn TG Platoons.
                          sigpic

Comment

My condolences Matthew. Very sorry to hear it.

Comment

Advice needed.

My advice is that we all remember what is really important in this world. My thoughts to you and your nephews family.
                              Communications, Cohesion, Confidence.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X