Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Night Fight (April 11th, 2014) - Now with training!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [EVENT] Friday Night Fight (April 11th, 2014) - Now with training!

Alright, going to organize this a little more informally than usual, since I want to get some feedback on the game plan.

Overall Objectives:
    • Provide an opportunity for training of inexperienced SLs
    • Still provide a good experience for those who want to come in and have a solid TG-style fight as on a regular Friday night
    • Keep the platoon focused on siege-breaker/assault tactics, both for training purposes (keeping us out of defensive grinds that make squad leading harder) and to provide a more combined arms experience.

To this end, I'm thinking of a squad setup like the following:

Alpha and Bravo - Training squads with one or two experienced leads in the squad riding shotgun and several prospective squad leads, along with non-squad lead members who are willing to be patient and help out with the new SLs. SL will be rotated amongst the trainees every 30 minutes or so (with switch-overs happening between fights, even if we have to pull out of a promising fight temporarily to do so). I'm thinking this should be TG only. Depending on interest, we could do this with one squad and have bravo be set up like Charlie.

Charlie - Regular TG squad for standard play, for those who just want to have a regular FNF. This should probably be an open squad.

Delta - Armour squad. It'd be great if an experienced armour SL could run this with an eye to training tank maneuvers, and maybe even armour squad leadership, but I'll leave that up for discussion.

I was also considering 1 squad training infantry, 1 squad regular infantry, 1 squad armour and 1 squad air, but I'm not sure how that'd work for us. It leaves us infantry light and air has traditionally been a hard thing for us to organize and employ. That said, I'd love it if someone was up for running a CAS squad/platoon as described in this AAR from waaaaay back in December. Discuss!

My game plan is to avoid drawn out defensive grinds and instead focus on siege breaking. This means approaching defensive fights from OUTSIDE the main base, preferrably with armour, mechanized infantry and air assets, and destroy the encircling enemy armour/air assets and Sunderer logistics lines. This keeps us out of the main grind, allows us to train maneuvers and slower paced open field ops, provides some nice variety, and allows us to continuously be the Big Damn Heroes. The armour squad will be important for this, being our primary AV/AA squad and open-field fire support. We'll also engage in midfield and offensive fights opportunistically, but we'll move in and out of fights with an eye to getting good, even fights for training rather than strategic interests.

Discussion on overall organization is welcome and, in fact, requested. We're also desperately in need of leaders willing to train and mentor, as well as people willing to step up and receive that training! If you're interested in participating, here's the signup format:

1. In Game Name (Please use the exact name for the server/faction we are playing): Starstriker
    2. Preferred in-game roles, in order of preference: PL, Infantry SL, CAS SL
    3. Feedback/suggestions on overall event organization and game plan: This entire event is ill-conceived and the PL is a boob.

(edit) Since I forgot this the first time, I'll be starting the kick-off at 6pm Mountain Time (that's 8pm EST)! If I remember to draft it [i]I might even have a speech![i] You know, plan out what I'm going to say instead of sputter, stutter, and make a fool of myself.

Don't get me wrong, I fully intend to make a fool of myself, but hopefully I can maintain the illusion of competence at least past the opening 5 minutes!
    Last edited by starstriker1; 04-10-2014, 07:55 PM.

Re: Friday Night Fight (April 11th, 2014) - Now with training!

1. In Game Name (Please use the exact name for the server/faction we are playing): QuantumQrack
    2. Preferred in-game roles, in order of preference: Regular squad member, can SL in a pinch if SL drops due to comms issues, etc. Would also prefer Armor if possible.
    3. Feedback/suggestions on overall event organization and game plan: Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for leading FnF! Are you going to be coordinating with NC Alliance?
    Last edited by QuantumQrack; 04-10-2014, 03:19 PM.

Comment

1 JerJB
      2 Armor squad(not leading) or training squad(assisting new SLs)
      3. Chicken fried chicken.

I might be late due to going to the bars with my co-workers.

Comment

With regards to coordinating with NC command: No! Or, at least, not actively trying to help out there. We may participate in alerts or assist when convenient/ideal for training, but the overall focus for us will be finding good fights and opportunities for training, NOT assisting with the strategic aims of the faction as a whole. For instance, assisting in an alert often requires rapid redeployment and firefighting, as well as throwing ourselves into meatgrinders on occasion, which is at odds with putting together a good training environment. We might disengage with fights entirely just to get new SL trainees set up, or to give an opportunity to practise maneuvers without anyone shooting at us.

If we end up pulling our weight on the strategic level, bonus, a siegebreaker platoon can be super helpful by breaking up enemy attacks! However, it will not be my aim for the night!

Comment

1. In Game Name (Please use the exact name for the server/faction we are playing): TGToddshooter
          2. Preferred in-game roles, in order of preference: SL trainer/helper/backseat driver.
          3. Feedback/suggestions on overall event organization and game plan: thanks for getting the ball rolling on this!!!
          sigpic

Comment

First of all, you get TWO zombie points for the Firefly reference.

format:

1. In Game Name (Please use the exact name for the server/faction we are playing): zombiesnack99
            2. Preferred in-game roles, in order of preference: SL in training, regular squad member.
            3. Feedback/suggestions on overall event organization and game plan: for the rotating squad lead, consider some built in time for new sl feedback. Don't jam it into the next sl persons time. Set squad expectations for this in advance.

I will be on at 9pm eastern!
            Communications, Cohesion, Confidence.

Comment

1. In Game Name (Please use the exact name for the server/faction we are playing): Ghostshooter101
              2. Preferred in-game roles, in order of preference: Armor SL trainer/helper/backseat driver.
              3. Feedback/suggestions on overall event organization and game plan: Give armor more freedom to roam around. Normally when there is an armor squad in a platoon it is usually asked to hold a position to play the support role while they wait for the other squads to take control of the base. This always ends up with with a whole squad sitting in one place doing nothing, depending on how long it takes to capture the base. Which can be a buzz kill to have to watch the other squads have all the fun. So what I am trying to say is, let armor clear the path for the infantry then allow them to roam around covering the flanks for any enemy armor trying to break the assault. This is up to the squad lead at the time to see what approach they want to take.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiesnack99 View Post
                First of all, you get TWO zombie points for the Firefly reference.
                wut

for the rotating squad lead, consider some built in time for new sl feedback. Don't jam it into the next sl persons time. Set squad expectations for this in advance.
                Yeah, I was thinking a short period for AAR and feedback after each SL has had a go, then swapping it over to the next. I'll be sure to be clear about that.

I will be on at 9pm eastern!
                Oh, right! TIMES.

I'll be doing the kick-off at 6pm Mountain (should be 8 EST). Updating original post...

@ Ghostshooter101

Good call. I'll try to remember to give armour freedom of manuever and a broader mandate.

Comment

Awesome stuff SS. Would love to see AARs guys, not just from SS, but from anyone, especially the tutored SLs.

Comment

Yeah, and on that note, recorded video would be super helpful for everyone!

Comment

1. penandpennyman
                      2. Charlie lead or delta armor member
                      3. Lettuce be an independent unit and make our own calls and not let command channel influence new squad leads too much. I'm all for outfit coordination it just I've seen some nonsense lately in command channel sending an entire TG platoon to ghost cap Amerish for no apparent reason; there wasn't even an alert going at the time.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
                      ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

1. TYHBoomNC
                        2. SL in training or Charlie Delta member
                        3. No ghost capping because NC command wants to continent lock for no apparent reason. Avoid the ridiculous Zerg fights and instead manipulate the fights to our faction's advantage (i.e. back capping force a pause/split).

Comment

1. In Game Name (Please use the exact name for the server/faction we are playing):
                          SierraSykes
                          2. Preferred in-game roles, in order of preference:
                          -Pilot (lib pilot/gunner first, fighter pilot second)
                          -SL (DISCLAIMER: I am not very good at SLing air squads but I volunteer myself as tribute if necessary)
                          -Armor Gunner
                          -Airborne infantry (can pilot, uncerted gal)
                          -SL Trainee (I can run a squad pretty well as is, especially under a decent PL, but I could always use some practice, particularly as PL and/or without the direction of one)
                          3. Feedback/suggestions on overall event organization and game plan:
                          Good in theory. I want to see how it plays out in practice. I think we might be able to swing the CAS squad depending on if we really need a second squad of SL trainees or not. Great way to help train prospective SLs. I think replacing FNF with this may not be the best or most convenient, but if this were to become a separate event, it may be really successful.

So I'm in. I'm willing to take a turn practicing my SL skills, as I'm by no means perfect, particularly when the squad is running solo. My one question I want answered is when do you decide to switch fights and when do you stay and tough it out? I don't always make the best call on that choice. Meanwhile, I can run the air squad if we want one. If yall need me to be over TS, that is doable too. I'm no air squad wizard and I'm a mediocre fighter pilot but I think I can manage if we can get the interest for a CAS squad.
                          If I run it I'll need a handful (read: 1-4) fighters that should be equipped for A2A but with rockets for ground pounding, and a bunch of libs with decent guns (a partly or fully certed shredder DOES count!). A nice weapon diversity should give us a lot of diversity in our support and help us get the gunners comfortable (but I'm preachin' to the choir here cuz yall are already awesome about this).

Comment

I think replacing FNF with this may not be the best or most convenient, but if this were to become a separate event, it may be really successful.
                            Sierra

This is not going to be a replacement of FNF. We are doing this now to help deal with concerns the community and the Admin/NCO team have about the slip we see in discipline and TG ethos that has been happening lately. The slip is no ones fault. Time has past and things tend to go to the dogs if not reinforced now and then. We want to help those newer to TG know what is expected of them so we can grow and get our MOJO back. I am sure we will be ticking along nicely again soon :row1_21:

Look forward to seeing everyone in game tonight. Todd
                            sigpic

Comment

Just wanted to add to please idle in TeamSpeak if you can for backup comms if needed.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X