Becoming a Better Infantry Player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a Better Infantry Player

First off, I am not promoting a individualistic play style within TG nor am encouraging players to play for KD and SPM, so please don't distort my words :D. Neither I nor the whole of TG care if your KD is .5 or 5. KD and kill total does not merit additional respect within TG. If you want to earn respect, listen to #1 in squad.

I am not demonizing KD, it is fun to see it go up whilst trying to become a better player, but it should never be your inherent goal when logging in. Killing is only half the story, to many players are viewed as bad because they play support medic or engineer.

My reason for writing this is that I have seen and heard a lot of this:

"I shot a guy in the back, he turned around and killed me, wat?"

"I'm a heavy, why am I dying so fast?"

"Why does this guy tank so many bullets?!"

"I died to DA, again"

The answer to this is, surprise, NOT hacks or lag (usually :P). Below is a guide I put together on suggested non-weapon loadouts for all classes and an overall good mindset players should have while in combat in addition to some in-game tweeks to make you better able to respond to things happening in-game.

Medkits over Restoration kits:

I cannot stress enough how much medkits increase your survivability in combat. The ability to instantly recover all of your health (green portion of your "life bars") up to four times allows you to "tank" many more bullets per life.

Medkits should be used as soon as you see your shields are gone and you are still taking hits. Due to lag, your current health may be lower than it actually is on screen, it also takes a brief moment to stab yourself with a medkit so you should start injecting those delicious nanites ASAP when nearing fatal conditions.

But Wrel likes restoration kits?:

No offense to Wrel, but I believe he is wrong in this case. Restoration kits heal yourself about as fast as the medics AOD, and that is not fast enough if you are taking fire whilst using them, the bullets decrease your health faster than the restoration kit can increase it. Medkits instantaneously heal health to 100% and can be used up to four times in quick succession.

IMMHO I think, unless you are equiped for AV, MKs should always be equiped over C4 and RKs.

NEVER PUT DARKLIGHT ON PRIMARY WEAPON:
    It simply is not worth it and you will be at a serious disadvantage if your opponent is using Advance Laser Sight or Forward grip. Infils, in their current state, can easily be seen close up beyond the range of a flashlight with a trained eye. In addition, with a nice pair of headphones you should easily be able to hear them uncloak/cloak and from what direction.

~~~~~

ASC and NANOWEAVE:

Advanced Shield Capacitors or Nanoweave armor are, IMO, mandatory for the suit slot except for grenade bandoleer for medic and flak for engineer.

ASC allows you to recover your shields incredibly fast (get back in combat or move to a safer location quicker and max nanoweave equates to about 2-3 more bullets you can tank.

So if your dying frequently because you are caught off guard because you are not at 100% I would suggest ASC. If you're frequently dying in 1v1 situations I would go with nanoweave. In addition, ASC is relatively cheap cert wise so I recommend that for newer players as well.

~~~~~

TUNNEL VISION:

A disease that plagues almost all new players and is the #1 source for death across almost all FPSs. Don't lock on to one target, we all know you want that kill but don't over extend your self or follow your target into line of fire of his/her 20 friendlies. Since battles can have hundreds of players. Simply walking past a corner can get you instagibbed by a whole platoon of enemies.

~~~~~

MESS WITH SOUND SETTINGS:

I highly recommend muting music in game. To me it gets too repetitive too quickly and distracts you from hearing cloakers and bullet fire. In addition, crank up the SFX sounds to have better situational awareness.

You really are at a disadvantage if you're using dollar store/15$ walmart headsets. Highly recommend spending the extra dough if you can to find a nice set of cans. Avoid things like "volume leveling" and "bass boosters". Volume leveling simply things that are supposed to be quiet loud and things that are supposed to be loud quiet. Bass boosters overdue explosions to the point where it is hard to hear anything else.

SIDENOTE: Talking and listening to others while playing lessen both yours and EVERYONE ELSE WHO CAN HEAR YOU situational awareness. This is crucial especially during infantry play. If I can't hear what is behind me and instead hear you complaining you just died, you are doing everyone a disfavor .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hopes this helps, please note this post is simply my opinion and thoughts after playing infantry for just over 1K hours. I would gladly like to discuss counter points below if you have them. Or you could just tell me I'm right :D

Happy hunting!

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
    ― George Orwell, "1984"

Re: Becoming a Better Infantry Player

Thanks for writing this for those who wish to stay alive.

Me, I like being a puddled mess. If the enemy steps in it after they kill me it might slow them down. :P

No really, some solid advice in here. Especially the medkit information.

I think suit slots on support kits are dependent on play style. I like max flak on my medic. I usually play security so I like to stay out of the fight. While not directly engaging the enemy, I find that flak helps me to stay alive longer than my squad mates, especially in buildings.

That really doesn't help my KDR only my squad mates. Coming from PR, when I hear the word infantry I imagine a squad dug in holding a line laying down supporting fire while another squad flanks the enemy position. In this game infantry means something a bit different. Mainly because the scenario I'm used to is hard to achieve within the pace of the game.
    Last edited by eD_ru$h; 05-13-2014, 08:12 PM.

Never Beat Ninja Gaiden

Comment

awesome thread:

If I could add somethings that ive learned while playing infil with a smg

1- dont be afriad to hip-fire
      2- dont forget you have a knife (that deals about %50 damage)
      3- learn the recoil pattern of your weapon
      4- burst over long ranges
      5- dont stand in front of windows or doors for a long time
      6- keep your eye on your map for enemy sensor darts
      7- dont stay still in a 1v1 fire fight
      8- if using laser sight, turn off the laser (it still works)
      9- crouching in a CQB engagment can sometimes help
      10- aim for center mass

Comment

Great thread! Good suggestions I learned a few things from this.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to penandpencilman again.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Toddshooter View Post
          Great thread! Good suggestions I learned a few things from this.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to penandpencilman again.
          I have been repped once all year O.o

Originally posted by ghostshooter101
          awesome thread:

If I could add somethings that ive learned while playing infil with a smg

1- dont be afriad to hip-fire
          2- dont forget you have a knife (that deals about %50 damage)
          3- learn the recoil pattern of your weapon
          4- burst over long ranges
          5- dont stand in front of windows or doors for a long time
          6- keep your eye on your map for enemy sensor darts
          7- dont stay still in a 1v1 fire fight
          8- if using laser sight, turn off the laser (it still works)
          9- crouching in a CQB engagment can sometimes help
          10- aim for center mass
          I know some people who do and will not scope in while using an SMG. With Advance Laser Sight you can burst hip fire accurately even from long range.

I never turn my laser off, its just too cool.

I usually aim for center mass and let the recoil help me into bringing shots to the head.

― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't turning off the laser only turn it off from your perspective? i.e. other players can still see it?

If you're confident with your control of your weapon, go for headshots at ranges where your weapons recoil or cone of fire won't throw you off. It can massively cut down your ttk if you have a cool hand, especially against those shield-popping heavies.
            Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Center mass is a good place to start but if you want to win engagements with players who are:
              a.) better equipped for scenario (you bring Long range gun to a CQC fight)
              b.) Have more health than you (heavy assault/you lost health)
              c.) keep ducking in and out a lot

You absolutely must go for the head. The players are expecting to take damage at a specific rate. Hitting the head can slash the TTK insanely fast. This is especially true with the NC and it's "High damage per shot, low damage per second" guns which have the most to gain and the most to lose.

Essentially it gives you an "equalizer" in those unfair engagements that can really boost the effectiveness of the player in not only that one engagement but also in future engagements as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Zepkron View Post
                Center mass is a good place to start but if you want to win engagements with players who are:
                a.) better equipped for scenario (you bring Long range gun to a CQC fight)
                b.) Have more health than you (heavy assault/you lost health)
                c.) keep ducking in and out a lot

You absolutely must go for the head. The players are expecting to take damage at a specific rate. Hitting the head can slash the TTK insanely fast. This is especially true with the NC and it's "High damage per shot, low damage per second" guns which have the most to gain and the most to lose.

Essentially it gives you an "equalizer" in those unfair engagements that can really boost the effectiveness of the player in not only that one engagement but also in future engagements as well.
                Yeah, this. Especially if you're using 200 damage weapons like the SAW and Tross.

― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...