Clientside Hit Detection, Planetside, and You

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clientside Hit Detection, Planetside, and You

I've seen a LOT of people the last couple of days who are terribly misinformed about how hit detection in planetside works. I could write up a huge post explaining the physics behind lag compensation mechanics, but instead I'm just going to link to a video.

Time to Kill (TTK) versus Lag Compensation in PlanetSide 2

This is video by Wrel, one of the most famous Planetside 2 YouTubers, when he comprehensively and eloquently explains how PlanetSide 2's lag compensation mechanics work. I cannot implore you enough, please watch this video. Watch it right now. Link to this video in outfit chat and in your squads. Everyone who plays PlanetSide even marginally seriously NEEDS to understand how hit detection works. It's a fundamental feature of reality on Auraxis(an in all First Person Shooters, in some form or another).

Why are you still reading this? Go watch the video!

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Re: Clientside Hit Detection, Planetside, and You

I learned the best way to prolong your life is as soon as you start taking fire (even if the damage is inconsequential) and you don't see your enemy, you should do a skip, hop, and a diddly dop in the opposite direction with medkits in hand.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
    ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Yeah, the safe assumption is that all minor damage is the prelude to catastrophic damage, and that half of THAT has already hit and you just don't know it yet! You need to get to cover a split second before you think you do.

Comment

This TTK video changed my life as a new Planetside player. It makes lag rationale and predictable rather than seemingly random and unjust.
        Xbox Live Gamertag: TG ABRA
        live.xbox.com/member/TG ABRA
        Friend me!

Comment

Nice bump ABRA. +Rep

This should be required watching for all new members, along with The Primer and other rules and SOPs. lol

OK, maybe not required. But perhaps we should have a "Recommended Watching" sticky, along with the other stuff?

I'm not sure what else I would put in there, besides this though. We wouldn't want the list to become too cumbersome, and thus lose people's interest.
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X