SOE Live Keynote - Buggies. Plus Class & Vehicle Model Reskin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] SOE Live Keynote - Buggies. Plus Class & Vehicle Model Reskin

So I'm sort of cheating, the models weren't part of the keynote but Wrel tweeted some pictures before it started:

Buggies
    Flash, Harasser, Sunderer and Lightning
    Some infantry classes

Apparently the unveiling wasn't recorded and I don't think there's any more information yet. Are these base model reskins?

Summary of Keynote by ThePropain on the official forums. Nothing really new, although they must be getting more confident that they can pull off the floating islands and city maps; up until now they've only been testing them. If anyone's interested in seeing the prototyping stage check out Work In Progress - Episode 14 with Devin Lafontaine on twitch.

TIMELINE:
    7:25- Keynote Start.
    11:50- We know that the Devs thrive on Community Interaction..... very profane-filled, unjustified, yet hilarious interaction via Twitter. :p
    15:10- Discussion on tommorow's Tournaments, and other upcoming things this weekend.
    17:50- Interesting stats on people and groups in those tournaments.
    34:50- COMING SOON: New Loading Screens! No more NC Bias :D
    35:20- Pretty cool Valkyrie trailer.... you might want to turn down your sound a bit though.
    36:40- Expect the Valkyrie and Squad Mentoring/Leadership rewards being released later this month.
    37:30- COMING SOON: Missions Phase 2 and 3.
    37:50- COMING SOON: Resource Revamp Phase 2. ANTs are incoming
    38:30- COMING SOON: Empire Specific Buggies! Back from PS1, The Thresher, Marauder, and Enforcer are on the horizon.
    39:10- COMING SOON: The two new Battle Islands are being worked on. Expect one to be a bunch of floating islands in the sky, and the other to be a metropolis.
    39:55- Pretty sweet community videos. The first one is pretty well done!
    47:30- Fan Art. Despite their aspect ratio being terrible.
    49:05- COMING SOON: PS4 gameplay. Teaser on the new UI. Also, the sky looks pretty different.
    Sorry console junkies, there is (still) no ETA yet.

53:22 Fan Q&A.
    -The Amerish sky is actually a bug, causing it to not render correctly.
    -Actual Water (Like the bridges over rivers in PS1) is just too hard to do, which is why you don't see rivers and lakes and all that.
    -ReachCat will be on the Player Studio sometime after fixing a Sky Dome bug. (Wat?)
    -Weather is still being worked on. (No ETA) It's going be actually weather that impacts the game. One of the blockades is making it so that it's the same for all graphics settings, low and high. And of course don't forget FPS.

56:35- Prize raffling and closing statements.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Re: SOE Live Keynote - Buggies. Plus Class & Vehicle Model Reskin

The new lightning model looks great, a bit less like a brick with a turret. Sunderer seems a little odd, to me, much less imposing frame there, but it looks like it'll be a bit lower to the ground and echo the PS1 AMS a little closer. That looks much more like a support vehicle.

Overall, looks like they're trying to emphasize the Nanite Systems "Corporate" look for the common pool vehicles.

Not sure how I feel about Empire Specific Buggies. I mean, more faction flavouring is great, but how exactly are they going to differ from the already pretty flexible Harasser? The Thresher obviously is going to move a lot more like a Magrider, but the Enforcer and Marauder don't look too distinct. At most, I'd say they look a bit heavier... maybe they've got higher passenger capacity? They could end up being the Valkyrie of the ground if they've got enough seats...

Also, aside from the thresher, they all look ugly, almost as low res as the original PS1 models. :/

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
      The new lightning model looks great, a bit less like a brick with a turret. Sunderer seems a little odd, to me, much less imposing frame there, but it looks like it'll be a bit lower to the ground and echo the PS1 AMS a little closer. That looks much more like a support vehicle.

Overall, looks like they're trying to emphasize the Nanite Systems "Corporate" look for the common pool vehicles.

Not sure how I feel about Empire Specific Buggies. I mean, more faction flavouring is great, but how exactly are they going to differ from the already pretty flexible Harasser? The Thresher obviously is going to move a lot more like a Magrider, but the Enforcer and Marauder don't look too distinct. At most, I'd say they look a bit heavier... maybe they've got higher passenger capacity? They could end up being the Valkyrie of the ground if they've got enough seats...

Also, aside from the thresher, they all look ugly, almost as low res as the original PS1 models. :/
      I agree, the Lightning looks miles better. I like that the Sunderer chassis is less of a box but I think I preferred the old front.

The vehicles and classes are new so that's all I've seen. There's some older, higher resolution concept art for the buggies, however:

Enforcer
      Marauder
      Thresher

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

See, THAT all looks fantastic. Makes me wonder if they just threw PS1 models up, except that I KNOW better because the PS1 models looked nothing like either of those.

The most obvious change is the much wider wheelbase on both vehicles, but there's also a lot of interesting design in the silhouette that's just gone... the vehicles in the screenshot look very, VERY similar to one another just based on the silhouettes.

Comment

Some of their comments would be solved by a newer DirectX version, interestingly enough.

ANTS, oh boy, hetre we go a-mining. :)
          MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

...what would a newer DirectX version have to do here?

And yes. ANTs! Do want. GIMME GIMME GIMME. Even if it IS just a lame Sunderer module...

Comment

Rendering problems, difficulty with water features, weather, etc. Their use of an ancient graphics system is a huge limitation when it comes to implementing more modern effects,and is directly responsible for a large amount of the CPU load when rendering shadows/etc. It was simply an observation, a moot point since it would require a rewrite of the client to implement.

I'm betting Ants are a sunderer module.

sigpic

Comment

Personally i'm not that excited. I'm looking for essentially military armored/armed Humvee's like the ones we use in the USA with like 4 - 6 guys each. Not civilian sport utility vehicles. All the new models look more suitable for luxury road trips than war.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyMac View Post
                  Rendering problems, difficulty with water features, weather, etc. Their use of an ancient graphics system is a huge limitation when it comes to implementing more modern effects,and is directly responsible for a large amount of the CPU load when rendering shadows/etc. It was simply an observation, a moot point since it would require a rewrite of the client to implement.

I'm betting Ants are a sunderer module.
                  ANTs are confirmed as a Sunderer module.

Comment

What niche do the buggies fill? Somewhere between flash and harasser? With no turret (MAX in the back?), it's just a high speed transport with less combat capability. Maybe that's useful in some contexts, but I can't see it changing overall battle dynamics much. Hope there is more to it than that.
                    In game handle: Steel Scion
                    sigpic

Comment

I can pretty much guarantee they'll have weaponry of some kind, at least the standard secondaries. When they show models like this, the attachable secondaries are NOT included!

Personally, my hope is that these vehicles end up having something like an Infantry Fighting Vehicle role, where they're meant to operate right alongside an infantry squad as fire support and transport. In that role Harassers are too fragile, Sunderers are too unwieldy (and high profile targets to boot), Lightnings don't have a high enough turret elevation, and MBTs want more standoff range. If the new buggies are durable enough to survive without being in constant motion and have the right sort of hull-down height and weapon positioning, then they might be able to fit that role while the Harasser maintains its position as a fragile, hyper-mobile hit-and-run unit.

Comment

That would be nice, Star. I've run Harassers in close infantry support using the bulldog (That configuration is popular with some folks outside our outfit, thought I'd give it a try). It is very effective, since the harasser can go places tanks and sunderers cannot, however the fragility of the vehicle is a huge problem when LA's and HA's are all around you. It's easy to get smoked. If this thing is much more heavily armored, I can see it being very useful in that particular role. That would definitely differentiate it from the high-speed long-range Harasser.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah. I've had some success in the past with a Kobalt Harasser putting down heavy suppressive fire at long range, but by and large it's a machine uncomfortable with staying still.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X