Valkyrie First Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valkyrie First Impressions

So, what do you think of our latest new toy? Post up your thoughts, preferred loadouts and any interesting thoughts on the potential tactical applications of the Valkyrie.

Re: Valkyrie First Impressions

I find it much more maneuverable than I thought it would be. It is also the go to vehicle for cheap flights seeing as it is cheaper than an ESF.
    sigpic

Comment

Looks like the gunners cannot hit the ships side even with rockets, C4 seems to stick on but did not damage the ship when I triggered it from outside.

Note: It only takes 1 c4 placed from the outside to kill the ship

I would like to find out if passengers can hit each other while on board

The Valkyrie fits nicly on top of an ammo tower, with a nice view for the guns

I have certed for 'Squad logidtics System' to remove fall damage for squad members and to allow the squad to spawn inside (with 1 member aboard)

The 3rd person view seem to be a bit out, when you think your flying level, your running to ground, and as soon as you lift off, your thrust increases, so its best to plan your take off or reduce thrush as soon as you can before finding the next tree.

EDIT: Pheonix seem follow sight rules and will hit the side of the ship
      Last edited by vts; 08-30-2014, 07:15 AM.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

The only thing I don't like is that it is not stable when flying.. you always have to press spacebar to keep the altitude even at maximum speed.
        sigpic
        "Keep calm and wait for the medic."
        {45 270 lives saved}

Comment

Altitude drop off was a definite challenge when maneuvering, it's apparently an Auraxian brick. Extremely maneuverable, very cheap. Gunner not able to fire behind ship, major drawback. Flack area damage kills rumble seat passengers quickly. Default gun and rockets seem to be most effective weapons, laser rockets range is extremely limited for an aircraft (300 or 350 M) In order to shoot targets must be literally sitting on top of them, well within someone like Ghostshooter's kill zone. Possibly come down directly from above on MBT, but skygaurds will turn you inside out.

We need more time with it, and maybe some tweaks to come down the pike.
          MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

I think this is going to breathe new life into small squad infantry use. The need to be in large platoons has been steadily increasing and this will give smaller squads the ability to use precision based attacks that can have a more dramatic impact on battles. The protected gunners seat lends well to the squad leader position so he can spend most of his time on the map planning the moves and directing the pilot. The highly mobile spawn point will allow tactics that pinpoint key targets and make flanking much easier. I think this can turn battles that previously would have been a grind into more of a chess game, where each side has to try and keep the other in check. I'd love to see some dedicated mobile infantry squads use the Valkyrie to change the game up a bit. Let me know if anyone wants to try some stuff out with it.

Comment

I just wish they would take the spawning into vehicles away from all undeployed. Then you would actually have to do hot drops and hot pickups.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Toddshooter View Post
                I just wish they would take the spawning into vehicles away from all undeployed. Then you would actually have to do hot drops and hot pickups.
                Aye. +1

sigpic

Comment

If they moved it to a Valkyrie exclusive ability, I'd actually be pretty happy with it. I echo the desire for actual pickups, but my biggest concern with the Galaxy spawn is that it's attached to such a mobile and heavily armoured vehicle. Putting it on a fragile platform like the Valk makes loiter/hotdrop reinforcements riskier and easier to counter, and it's more easy to prevent cross map squad spawn redeployments if the destination vehicle is easier to shoot down with local AA or interceptors. The Galaxy is currently a significant culprit in enabling those tactics.

Comment

Handling is unique. I prefer the precision variant for close maneuvers, but it takes some getting used to.

Very fragile. Single hit from a Dalton will kill it. 2-3 from shoulder rockets. 5 seconds of sustained AA fire. Seems like it should be sturdier than an ESF. Do not pull one on Indar, period. High pop sectors with open sky are instant death, even at long ranges.

I think it could be a good small squad mobile platform if used outside the zerg, but honestly, the Galaxy is still better at deployment, overwatch, and extraction. I was in a TG squad today with Gartha leading. We had a terrible time taking Hunter's Blind on Hossin using Valkyries. They were awkward in the trees and became an indefensible asset once the squad was on the ground. Then we switched over to a Gal - had a much cleaner drop off in the trees right over the target, was able to stay on station with bulldogs and walkers providing support, then picked up infantry right from the catwalk. Didn't even have to break away when ESFs came calling.

I want to make the Valkyrie work - I love driving the bus. Maybe try using one with a rocket toning squad? That might be useful. If they don't see you first.
                    In game handle: Steel Scion
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Emrys View Post
                      I think this is going to breathe new life into small squad infantry use. The need to be in large platoons has been steadily increasing and this will give smaller squads the ability to use precision based attacks that can have a more dramatic impact on battles.
                      I scoff at the notion that the Galaxy does not equate with precision. :p
                      Originally posted by Toddshooter View Post
                      +1

Unfortunately SOE's trend seems to be toward dumbing things down to the lowest common denominator, a/k/a "skill is OP! Pls nerf!!!1!1" and also "Oh noes my ADD riddled self cannot possibly wait several additional seconds to find a proper place to regroup/redeploy!!1!!1"

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                      If they moved it to a Valkyrie exclusive ability, I'd actually be pretty happy with it. I echo the desire for actual pickups, but my biggest concern with the Galaxy spawn is that it's attached to such a mobile and heavily armoured vehicle. Putting it on a fragile platform like the Valk makes loiter/hotdrop reinforcements riskier and easier to counter, and it's more easy to prevent cross map squad spawn redeployments if the destination vehicle is easier to shoot down with local AA or interceptors. The Galaxy is currently a significant culprit in enabling those tactics.
                      I'd be OK with that, actually.
                      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

-Personally from when I last played. The Valkyrie just felt nice to fly. Granted it was eaten alive at the drop of a pin, but nonetheless the handling on the thing just felt enjoyable. The Thing I found interesting about the craft was how much you had to use cover to survive. You can tell the thing wasn't meant to be a sky harasser Witch I think Alot of people were hoping For it to be. Though I'm ok with its current state I would love to see some survive ability buffs to the thing by the time I come back (sometime in December-Ish for those wondering). I also think an indirect buff will be happening as the Valk's newness wears off. As this happens people will pull less and less counter measures and the Valk's roll in the skies will quickly be in a better position.
                        -As far as the rumble seat go's I'd say its in a poor state of affairs right now. It definatley need's rumble seat stabilization. I also think heavies should be running lockons for engaging ground targets opposed to dumb fires but I don't know how it fairs in that regard. Also the infantry taking damage from the flack explosions I believe is quite bogus, Sure direct hits to the infantry I can see but Infantry usually has no defense against that except for flack Armour and even then its not really too much of a buff (Granted I don't have much experience with flack armor so take the previous bit with a grain of salt).
                        -two weapons namely the rockets could use slight buffs, But the chain gun and the standard weapon feels fine.
                        -Also Im all for landings and take offs for dropping off infantry but if the devs decide to keep the ejection/spawning mechanic, it needs to have some symbol on the vehichle or above the vehichle indicating to the passengers that it has that. Im Sure alot of poor little blueberries have fallen to their deaths because of this. Do this or just make it default
                        As far as what I'd like to see There is a couple of things.
                        1) having an option to equip to machine guns in the rumble seats much like the engi turrets, giving the craft better capabilities of helping to clear the landing zone of hostiles. Think the classic COD levels where you are using the machine guns to gun down people on your path.
                        2) The ability to hold maxes but when they are in the craft they cant fire. This will prevent the max from being left behind when transporting small squads, but will also prevent 4 dual flax maxes from destroying everything in the sky.
                        3)FIX THE AMMO BOX ON THE CRAFT!!! In its current state when an engi places the box inside it causes the plane to be incredibly difficult to control.
                        4) Add airbrake
                        5)Letting the craft have sunderer like abilitys such as reps, and ammo, giving friendlies reason to protect the valk. also a biolab drop ability would be interesting, letting the craft drop people on top of the biolab but giving them the ability to pass through the biolab shields for roughly five seconds from drop.
                        -Finally for the next air vehicle GIVE US THE LOADSTAR. I really want that one. XP

Comment

The flak damage seems to have been reduced a bit, but I haven't done any extensive testing.

1) I like it. Battlefield helicopters.
                          2) Agreed.
                          3) I think the ammo box glitching may be on purpose. The harasser is now showing the same handling challenges when carrying an ammo box.
                          4) Explain?
                          5) Interesting. The shield diffuser biolab drop could be fun, interesting way to break the typical air-pad choke point issue. Ammo/repair could be fun, mid-air reps would be nuts for an air squad.

Oh, forgot: 2 Phoenixes blow one of these out of the sky.

sigpic

Comment

for number 4 in wrel's video he addressed the fact that that craft seems to lack an airbrake. A couple Ideas I took away from the video like the machine gun bit and the dropping having some sort of way of knowing. However the biolab drop, reps and ammo was my idea. It would give good prioritization of air targets for air squads, find and take down their reps and then go after the main set of crafts. would create a bit of strategy.
                            as for 3 Really? Seem's like a strange thing for them not to put in the patch notes if its an intended "FEATURE". Havent been in the game a while but it sounds more like a coding issue same with the reps for the harasser in the beginning. But they modified it to be a "FEATURE". I highly doubt an ammo box is so heavy that the thing would mess up the the navigation. (what did they use a newtron star?)Nerd joke I realize.
                            also how do lockon's fair im curios im sure pheonix's work well but the distance could prove to be a challenge.

Comment

I haven't spent a lot of time in the back, but the Valk is typically doing some aerobatics to stay alive, lock-on acquisition times will be problematic. Also, unless they've modified the vehicle hit box thing, the lock-ons immediately taking an intercept course rather than flying straight forward for N meters could be bad as well.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X