No announcement yet.

What I have learned about Leadership.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] What I have learned about Leadership.

-So currently as many know Im not back in game quite yet, but still I figured I'd share some of my thoughts on Leadership.
    :In a game like planetside 2, there is three ways you can play. The first is Going Solo (I do this often and tend to have a great deal of fun). The second is rolling with a squad, and being a member of the squad. For TG in this instance following orders is a must. And the final way Is by Leading, weather that be a squad or a platoon. Being a leader is both one of the most stressful yet also one of the most rewarding and fun experiences you can have on the battlefield.
    :Although for many people I think they are content with just being a follower (Witch is fine, every army needs good soldiers), but If everyone in the squad wishes to not lead often times squad's can be disbanded, because of it. The fact of the matter is that sometimes the squad need's a leader, even if the person leading thinks of themselves as not qualified.
    : I personally come from a background in film making. My role generally speaking in these situations tend's to be the director/camera person. As the director, It is up to you to make the decisions and for your cast and crew to both follow your lead and help you along the way. In this sense Everyone should know there job and what there doing, the producer gets the things the director needs, the actors well act, the script supervisor helps to keep the story on track and the lighting guy makes sure the camera can see everything just fine. You in a sense are pointing them in the right direction, and it is up to them to both do as there told, but to do it smartly in a way that neither inflicts with the vision but overall makes and tell's the story.
    : Many of these same concepts can be taken and applied towards planet side squad leading. Your job as a squad leader in planet side, is not to tell a story but rather to lead your squad to victory, and hopefully do it in such a way that people are having fun. And just like with a cast and crew everyone has a job, heavies for pushing/holding engies for vehicles and locking down points, infiltrators for scouting recon and sensor darts ETC... Just as with the above example you are pointing people in the right direction, however you are letting them fill in the gaps. For instance you tell the squad to lock down a building. What you dont want to do is micromanage everything. This leads to inefficiency. What you want to do instead is give an order like the following. "Allright I want everyone in my squad to lock down the building on A point. For those unfamiliar just pick a door and sit and watch it." This allows people the freedom and flexibility to get into a position where they can adequately fire on the enemy, much more quickly than if the squad leader were to tell every person where exactly to be. The other thing is that many to if not most TG members are well trained and will know what to do.
    : One problem I tend to see alot in myself with squad leading is indecisiveness. i think we've all seen it. A squad leader says "Were going to one base, than midway through the lead kills the previous order in favor of another base. While this happening a few times may be beneficial even necessary for the squad to succeed doing it to much can inspire feelings of non confidence in the squad lead.
    :2nd to last Your going to encounter people that have suggestions. Now everyone has different ways of dealing with a suggestions, a few rare people just fold over backwards to these suggestions, some will mull them over, and others will plain flat out ignore them. As a squad lead and Film Director I have found what brings me success, is to take peoples suggestions and allow them to both inform but not control your decisions. Make sure the people giving the suggestions are also acknowledged, and to sometimes using your own judgement make your descions based on the said persons suggestions. This I believe helps to inspire confidence in a leader, and helps make said teammate feel like a good contribution.
    : Finally Planetside is a game full of massive battles and often times even at our greatest numbers TG doesnt have the capability of winning a base, simply because the enemy has more forces. However through superior organization TG tends to still do good in battles, but unfortunately we don't always win. The fact of the matter is that at the end of the day it is still up to you the squad lead to make the Loss feel like a Win. Sure you may have lost the fight but we held the point for a very long time in a 1 on 3 matchup. Get people motivated, and organized and before you know it you'll be an Excellent squad lead
    -RaymondScout

Re: What I have learned about Leadership.

Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty, and persistence.
    Colin Powell

A good quick write-up holding many truths. (I'd only complain about formatting and grammar/spelling)

Never should a squad leader/platoon leader forget that the group is playing to have fun; sometimes being ultra-competitive isn't fun, other times being too relaxed is a pain. Its all about 'feeling' the flow of the group and getting feedback.

No leader, no matter what, will ever win all of the time. In fact, by volume, failure small and large, will always outweigh significant success. A key point to squad leading is to NEVER let failure stop you- let it inform you. Squad members also have to understand this; their leader can never be a demi-god of tactical supremacy: even Napoleon failed catastrophically, even MacArthur retreated (twice).

Finally, the best leader isn't the most confident leader, it is the leader that appears most confident and can convince his subordinates thusly. No leader should ever be 100% sure of any action.

Comment

^^^ I pretty much agree everything you just said. Actually Id like to turn this post into something where everyone else posts there Ideas on leadership
      Post away everyone

Comment

I do alot of squad leading in BF4 and have led Fire Team, squad and platoon sized groups in ARMA. Regardless of the game the key concepts remain the same and I think you hit them pretty well in your original post. Yer Mom added some good points too.

When I lead I'm constantly talking to my squad so that everyone knows what we are doing and why. Despite the in game markings on objectives I often repeat my orders every few minutes so there is little to no misunderstanding of what we are supposed to be doing. Optimism is key and I keep the praise flowing to the troops with "good job" and "great work" and other missives. These come even during defeat. It is important to acknowledge effort and maybe especially so during a difficult assault or defense.

I also try to keep them in the loop with tactics and strategy. In a game like conquest in BF4 where teams have to control territory for points it makes great sense to explain why we are attacking or defending, especially if we are working off flag. I'll often set my team up as a blocking force to prevent enemy squads from moving in unimpeded. This promotes buy in from the squad and helps them fight more effectively. If we're guarding one side of a river to prevent movement from _____________ flag for instance, less patient players may move away without understanding why we are positioned there without being engaged in fighting.

The game type makes a big difference. ARMA is it's own thing and there is no way I'd lead a fire time in ARMA the way I lead in BF4. The styles of play are so different and they just don't mesh at all.

So...I'll add..clearly spell out the squad objectives and your own expectations in a regular manner. We are lucky at TG that even guests seem to fall in line pretty easily and it usually only takes a few minutes of communicating before the rest of the squad is doing the same and following orders.

**edit** forgot one--know where your people are at all times. Sounds basic but they can squirrel away pretty fast.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Raymond, you said you wanted this to be a general thread on leadership. Because of that request I am adding a link to an old post I did on principles of leadership. (Rather than re-write my thoughts here.)
          The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

I swear we had another thread like that, but when I searched for it I couldn't find it...

Comment

Awesome Post Garthra. Whereas my post sort of detailed how a leaders mindset and dealing with individuals should be, Yours go's into more of the decision making end of things. I've been out of planetside for a while but I think that was where I struggled with platoon lead. I think I was so used to organizing a single squad that I couldn't quite focus on the bigger picture, and I tried to micro manage to much. I highly recommend everyone else here to check it out that's interested in leadership. Anyways Keep the idea's coming for leadership. If there's one thing ive learned the more leaders the better...

Comment

This is a shameless bump.

Anyone new to Tactical Gamer seeking to start leading squads should read over the ideas listed above in this thread.

Raymondscout and Grunt both make very good points. I would also ask people to click the LINK to my post on squad leadership. That is another thread where several people offered good ideas about squad leadership.
                The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X