Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the Game?

Hey guys,

It's been months since I've played. I guess I was getting a bit burned out, and then when the implant foolishness came in I decided it was time for a hiatus.

I gave it a go tonight and... man. Maybe it was just not being acclimatized to PS2's... unique qualities... but it was not pleasant. Bear with me while I vent, this'll only take a minute. Probably.

In a moderate fight (~platoon v platoon) my frames were down to the low 20s, making it difficult and unsettling to play. Friendly and enemy units were popping in, sometimes mere meters in front of me. Worse than I ever remembered it happening, but maybe I had rose-tinted glasses on. When distant characters did load, they moved jerkily, like their position was only being updated every 20ms or so. Load times were long, (though I didn't install on my SSD this time) I was killed around corners, and it seemed like my choice of a fight was 1) fighting a losing battle against a superior zerg or 2) Fighting a winning battle with a superior NC zerg.

And barring the Valkyrie the only updates I've noticed are an annoying mandatory post-death screen that has to be skipped past. And if I miss 'G' or 'D' and hit 'F' my engineer will take out his ammo in the middle of a firefight. ><

Then I was typing in the chat window (while dead) and the game suddenly pod-dropped me into the middle of a TR/VS armor fight... what? (I'm guessing the apparently-still-broken instant action can be activated while you're chatting?) Post-death screen just seems a shambles. Deployment buttons that give you no indication of where you're spawning or what you're spawning into? Genius! That'll help the new players!

I played an hour and a half or so tonight, and I realize that's a pretty short time to form an opinion, so... help me out here.

What are your honest opinions on the state of the game as it exists now? Good? Bad? Worth dealing with the bad for the good? Did I just have a bad night?
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Re: State of the Game?

I think you had a bad night, but there are definitely some things to be aware of right now.

I've heard anecdotally that there's been a performance regression sometime recently, hopefully that'll get sorted out soon enough.

The engineer's ammo is on its own ability now, and it's honestly a hell of a lot better than before once you get used to it. It's also a lot easier for new players than that "press the change fire mode to drop ammo" foolishness. I personally haven't had issues with pulling up ammo when I wanted my gun, but your mileage may vary.

Not sure about that instant action thing. Post death screen is meh one way or another, the rough indication of death indication is nice and if you're the kind of player that care about your performance from life to life it's a bit more informative than previous versions. The rapid respawn option there is NOT for players like us, but for people who don't have the patience to hold spawn and just want to die/respawn/die as quickly as possible. It, AFAIK, usually spawns you where you previously spawned, or maybe at the nearest Sunderer? Been a while since I checked.

IMO, the overall state of the game is the same that it's always been. There've been a few hiccups (like the terrible player-triggered alert rollout) but those get smoothed over quick. The implants ended up not being the P2W foolishness everyone was worried they'd be, largely because their actual influence on gameplay is pretty toothless. There's some helpful utilities in there, but very little earthshaking.

Comment

As someone that has played with terrible frames for a while I can say with certainty that cranking down the settings very low and turning down both render distance and render quality will greatly help your frames, it may not look as pretty but it may be able to get the game to a playable performance for you. Also I have heard that the game is more cpu intensive rather than GPU intensive so you may want to look and check what your bottleneck is. Also are you talking about the sort of "Ghosting" lag effect you get where everything on screen is glitching out and it sorta looks like a bad acid trip. for me that happens when others in my house are using up internet bandwith
      Other than that id say I agree with star as to the state of the game. Bases can be capped by outfits, witch gives a bit more meaning to monotony, and the continents can be locked by your empire. Id say try a couple of play sessions with tg, if you dont get any enjoyment out of it by then than I dont know what to tell ya.
      Best of luck

Comment

I did have a bad night last night. I think for the first time I actually lagged.. lol I was still hitting 60+ in big fights but for some reason i was lagging.

Comment

Lots of jitter and "rubber-banding", and unlike Ghost, I can honestly say my framerate has taken an unexplainable hit over the last few patches.
          MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TonyMac View Post
            Lots of jitter and "rubber-banding".
            If you see my deployed Sunder in the sky, be sure not to park near it.

I don't see the lag stating myself but when my RAM hits around 3.9GB ground units jump into the air and air craft pass through building and hills.

I can fly my galaxy to a drop zone and see no issues, only to drop a squad of solders who are no longer combat ready, due to their POV been all over the place whilst in flight.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Interesting. I run ATI (err AMD) graphics cards, and honestly they've never done exceedingly well with this game, however, the first patch with PS4 stuffs made it better, then the next patch made it much wore. 3rd person Gal flying, for example, knocks my FPS down to 20 for no known reason.
              MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Hmm. 3rd person flying used to give a pretty massive frame hit, back in like... beta and immediately post-launch. Maybe they accidentally broke whatever the fix for that was?

I played a few hours tonight and things were better in terms of the experience. That probably had a lot to do with running in an all-TG platoon, but pleasing nonetheless. The gunplay is as tight as it has ever been, and Hossin is amazing for infantry fights. (My only complaint might be that the terrain encourages people to use EVEN MORE Gal drops for mobility, which means you miss out on fighting through a lot of really cool terrain. It's almost self-defeating.)

On the other hand, I'm reasonably certain that from a technical standpoint, the game is in a somewhat worse place than it was 3 months ago. I was able to stick mostly to smaller fights tonight, which really helped, but framerates are still lower than the generally solid 40-50 fps I used to get on maximum settings. Render distance is probably the same as it was before but man, coming back to PS2 with a 'fresh' perspective really drove home how appalling it can be in large fights or when flying ground-attack Liberators in any size fight. Characters warp around worse than I ever remember them - I watched Starstriker walk down into the floor of the biolab. (I assume he lagged as he was going downstairs and the game extrapolated him into the floor or something) Friendly and enemy units still float around stuck in mid-death animation. (Not a new bug, but man, has it been around a long time!) One new bug I encountered several times tonight was characters facing/aiming a different direction than they are shooting. Kind of alarming when an enemy who is facing away from you at the ceiling starts shooting you out of the back of his shoulder.

/rant

I guess what I'm saying is... It's still fun. It's still a good game, even with the bugs and the lag. It's just a bit disheartening to come back to things in more of a mess than I left them!

PS: And the new death screen is still a silly mass of bright flashing lights which does nothing to help your situation awareness - but if you switch to the map (perhaps to see if there might be a MEDIC nearby) you can't see your revive countdown!

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I tried some vehicle squads today. Lots of ups and downs here, although a lot of the downs had to do with the tank v infantry balance change a while back.

Spawning 100m in the air after exiting a vehicle is not fun. Nor is repeatedly spawning at locations other than the one you picked. Nor are rocket/lancer infantry who can still apparently fire from beyond the range that vehicles can render them. Or invisible projectiles/projectiles missing their effects (killed by mossie rockets which I thought were small arms fire due to making no noise or explosion). Or the Lightning still (Since Beta!) having different 3rd person aim limitations based on 0 degrees slope (meaning if you park on a slope, in third person you can fire through the hull on one side but not even hit the ground on the other).

The harasser's new ability to travel 100 kmh in reverse though, is exceptional. As is its new near-complete invulnerability to flipping. My harasser survival rate just increased fivefold. (then reduced to the old value by superman suicide every time I exit it for repairs)

The reduction in tank shell velocities was pretty noticeable. Long-range combat and infantry-sniping is significantly more difficult now. It's an inadvertent buff to the harasser too, as it is significantly harder for the enemy to hit you now with their slower projectiles.

And holy visibility reductions! Forget trying to fight into the rising/setting sun on Esamir. That's something we could take into consideration tactically now. At sunset/sunrise a player attacking into the sun (at least on Esamir) will be blind outside of 150m range.

Hopefully this is just a low point for game bugginess and we'll see some improvements in later patches.

FPS was pretty decent though. I guess either Hossin hasn't been as as well optimized as the old continents yet, or there were just a lot more combatants when I played on Hossin.

Comment

Honestly I'm really impressed that Hossin runs as well as it does, even with the very low visibility. Efficient foliage is hard.

Comment

Yeah Ive noticed foliage is what bogs down my computer southwestern side of indar does the same thing to my game as well

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X