Practice Practice Practice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice Practice Practice

We all know that practice forms habits. In game, a good habit in one man can mean the difference between running on kill streaks or spending you time looking at the death screen. But only perfect practice will make perfect habits.

We are good taking down enemy's forces, even up to 1 1/2 of are size. But what happens when we fight a well organised group our own size? Sure we might win and we might lose. But we are so used to fighting people who are unorganized and don't put up a good fight that we are okay with being a little sloppy, or at least we don't all die if someone make a mistake. A mistake that should be a habit but isn't because we rarely need it.( I'm mostly talking about myself because I know I could be so much better and show do things without thinking.)

So what can we do to give us an advantage in case this ever happens. I was wondering if anyone was willing to do a TG squad vs TG squad on the test server. We could have starting points to just have one team try to hold a base. I'm just wondering if anyone is interested and if there are some better idea's out there.

See you all on the battlefield.
    "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Re: Practice Practice Practice

I like the idea. We sort of use to do this awhile ago with Randy. Back when we had plenty of people still playing the game. The only issue i can think of atm is balancing the teams but this is something i am willing to help set up if we get enough people involved.

Comment

Yeaaah! I always thought this would be interresting! Count me in :)
      sigpic
      "Keep calm and wait for the medic."
      {45 270 lives saved}

Comment

I'm in.
        sigpic

Comment

I am a bit busier than I was in the past weeks. I hope to be able to join in such a training sooner or later! To build a culture takes time!

Comment

An excellent idea. I feel like we often struggle when placed against enemies where we don't have the usual overwhelming organizational advantage because we've planned and practised for dealing with randoms.

One way we might want to try and do this is to partner with some other outfits, in and out of the NC, and do occasional 1-2 squad sized scrims. It was a fun and challenging exercise in our BWC tank skirmish, and I'm sure we could get a few other outfits interested.

Comment

I guess we are start pitching some ideas. Also guys I think [MENTION=50907]Garthra[/MENTION] was coming up with some infantry strategies so we have to make sure this is not going to interfere or take away from his work.

Comment

Cue Allen Iverson? :p
                "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I do not have the test server installed, sadly, so I cannot join you.
                  Why couldn't we do this on the regular server with alts? That way we could get a lot more people involved. Just find a quiet base on a quiet continent. There should be at least one.

As far as infantry strategies creating a conflict, I do not think a scrimmage would take away from training, but thanks for the thought [MENTION=56436]ghostshooter101[/MENTION], I will monitor things to make sure we are not contradicting each other.

A practice is different than a scrimmage, just so we are clear on our terms. A scrimmage is unscripted and implies we do not know the ideal tactic, but we are trying out something out in a live fire sort of test. Helps to simulate battle stress. A practice is "we know the ideal way, lets repeat it so we remember it." Less about battle stress more about routine.

Let's take some time to think this through.

My questions about a scrimmage for purpose of TG learning.
                  1.) What exactly are we trying to practice?
                  The example presented in the original post is one side has the general objective of "hold this base" the other has a general objective of take it.

2.) How often do we declare pauses to do AARs?
                  Just doing a running battle for 2 hours is no good. At the end no one recalls the specific fights. Why not do a SHORT AAR every 20 minutes or so? So our memories of the last few engagements are fresh. (Commander of each side has discretion to decide to postpone the AAR for another 5-10 minutes more or so allow a battle to play out if needed.)

3.) What limitations, if any, on asset and resource use?
                  Are we trying to test Infantry, armor, or air? Can we spend resources to the max, or are we limited?
                  The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

One of the things I was thinking of last night after a number of gal drops is that it seems to be a little chaotic immediately after the drop with people scrambling any which way to drop off and get into the building. We should probably think about a protocol of not only the gal pilot calling the drop, but the direction to move in once the roof is clear. Even if it is not the ideal side, a squad coming off the same side of a building would be more effective than split up between two or more entrances (in most cases).

I generally try to call a direction once the roof is clear but in a hot drop this is not always heard or followed, or people have already had to clear the roof to get out of the fire. Probably would be better for the dropping squad to know the direction of travel just before the drop. This is a quick win type of thing that would be effective with only a little practice. I.E. "Pilot call the drop, we will clear the roof and jump off the north side and enter the building. Wait for squad lead to call the time to jump off the roof"

Another thought: we did practice room breaching with a lot of success, but it could stand a refresher course, especially for those who could not be in the original training. The bigger issue is actually using room breaching tactics in combat, probably due to the speed at which things move and the inherent danger of stacking in a hot zone outside a door in a large fight. I think the onus is on the squad leaders to have all of these tactics in mind and be able to direct the squad to perform them when called for. In all of the squads I have been in, no one has called for a proper breach, and I have only called for it once, fortunately with two or three people who had trained, and it was aborted due to a mis-throw (which was a great call by the demo man to remember to do this).

This speaks to the issue of the role of squad lead to not only herd the cats, orchestrate the gross movements of the squad, determine spawn logistics, etc, but also to bear in mind the tactics available. I know that for me it's all I can do to keep the first few items in mind, but maybe it's time to step up and keep the finer details in mind as well. One thing that might help is suggestions fromteh squad members. I know as TG, squad members tend not to argue with SL for very good reasons, but this has led to an atmosphere in which SL has to really solicit ideas, and if a squad member has another approach they may not be likely to voice it. Not sure what the balance point is between a squad run by committee and one that can offer useful suggestions if needed.
                    Communications, Cohesion, Confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiesnack99
                      One thing that might help is suggestions fromteh squad members. I know as TG, squad members tend not to argue with SL for very good reasons, but this has led to an atmosphere in which SL has to really solicit ideas, and if a squad member has another approach they may not be likely to voice it. Not sure what the balance point is between a squad run by committee and one that can offer useful suggestions if needed.
                      I sometimes use "/tell"s to get this done. There are probably more reasons than I can highlight, but here are mine :
                      1) It is written, so the whole idea can be read and read again just to make sure.
                      2) It is highlighted by a singular noise and a special color, which shows on every tabs of the chatbox.
                      3) It is private, so squad members do not get the feeling that someone in their squad is trying to lead the show in lieu of the squad leader.

I also think alot about improving our common list of tactics. We have to stress the Warden of the Consensus!
                      Last edited by bregard031; 10-26-2014, 12:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I am up for the action if a date and time are agreed upon in which I may participate
                        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Originally posted by Garthra View Post
                          I do not have the test server installed, sadly, so I cannot join you.
                          Why couldn't we do this on the regular server with alts? That way we could get a lot more people involved. Just find a quiet base on a quiet continent. There should be at least one.

As far as infantry strategies creating a conflict, I do not think a scrimmage would take away from training, but thanks for the thought [MENTION=56436]ghostshooter101[/MENTION], I will monitor things to make sure we are not contradicting each other.

A practice is different than a scrimmage, just so we are clear on our terms. A scrimmage is unscripted and implies we do not know the ideal tactic, but we are trying out something out in a live fire sort of test. Helps to simulate battle stress. A practice is "we know the ideal way, lets repeat it so we remember it." Less about battle stress more about routine.

Let's take some time to think this through.

My questions about a scrimmage for purpose of TG learning.

2.) How often do we declare pauses to do AARs?
                          Just doing a running battle for 2 hours is no good. At the end no one recalls the specific fights. Why not do a SHORT AAR every 20 minutes or so? So our memories of the last few engagements are fresh. (Commander of each side has discretion to decide to postpone the AAR for another 5-10 minutes more or so allow a battle to play out if needed.)
                          Just as an aside, as of yesterday every time we got wiped or otherwise had to redeploy, I have tried to hold a mini AAR with my squad to go over successes and failures of the last battle. I think it will be beneficial long term.

Comment

First of all I just want to say, Wow! Thank you all for all the input and questions. This is in no way "My Thing" so I feel that there is no real right way of doing things. With that said I will try to answer all your questions and give a little more detailed description on what I was thinking when I starting this thread. Hopefully we and work through all the ideas and come up with something that works for everyone. Again this is not my thing and while I'm willing to organize it and run it I feel that this is a group effort and should be treated accordingly.

First to answer some of the questions related what this is.
                            Sorry for the bad terminology. When I said practice, I was thinking of the action of doing something and not really about what the thing was going to be. So here are two ideas about what we would be doing. One would be a Practice of a certain tactic. Example of how it would work. Tactic that we would be practicing is breaching a room.
                            The first one team would set up inside the room or building while the other team set up outside. The breach would be called and a fight would pursue. Either the breach would be effective or it would fail. It would be decided if it failed or not, depending on witch team by who was still alive (and yes medics could be used unless it is deemed unfair because of things that I will mention later on.) . Then a small AAR would be held on what we did right/wrong and then we would do it again. Defending Turrets could be moved and changed but for the interest of time (At least until we get better) mines would not be used. This would take place several more times and then the attacking team would take the place of the defending team and it would be run that way for a while.

This is the basic idea of how this would happen. It still needs some work so if you want to put your ideas down for this then just say that "this idea is for the basic tactics practice". And yes I know there are those who think that breaching the only tactic that we could use this for. But here are some other ones that I have come up with so far. Squad movement over different kinds of terrain (Using the point man and a scout). Being ambushed/ambushing. Armor flanking (that might be a little hard seeing that the other team knows what coming). Evacuating a squad in a vehicle. And so on and so forth.

Then my second idea was a compaction scrim. There the SL of the two teams would really get to test there knowledge and skill.

Here is how things would go down. A adjective would be set that both teams knew of. Weather that be taking a base or hacking a Sunderer from a enemy base. We could have some really fun and different objectives with different rules of play but that will be a little bit in the future as everything will have to be tested and balanced. Then depending on whether armor is involved or not, starting points would be placed for the two teams. Then the two teams would put there heads together and come up with some different plains. But the SL would be the one to say what they do in the end. Then the round would be started and both teams wound move out. You only have one life and medics can revive. Then when one team gets killed or the objective is completed the round is over. The AAR for this should also be small and focus more on things to do different next time. Again this is just my ideas so if you have some for this post them by saying " There is an idea for the Compaction Scrim".

That should have answered the most of the questions. But here are the rest that I didn't cover.

How to balance teams? I have know idea but for the practice medics might just drag on the fight to long and the team with the best medics would win. Still need to work on this answer.

Partner with other outfits? I would love to but we need to try this out our-self's first. But that is just what I think.

Why don't we do this on the regular server? We could but then balancing out who had what level of what and making everything fair would be really hard. As far as the practice would go I think low level alts would work.

What limitations, if any, on the asset and resources used. It depended on what we are doing, but I think that at first mines should be avoided as we only have one life in both cases.

I'm also open to doing this with armor but don't have many ideas on the subject as of right know.

Again think of this as a group effort and give your ideas and questions.
                            Last edited by MatthewDaManiac; 10-26-2014, 09:51 PM.
                            "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

I think we need practice on using smoke in an open field. Hard to guess about range and density and longevity on the fly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X