• Show
Clear All

• [EVENT] Air-to-ground Reaver Flight Strike Training Session

Air-to-ground Reaver Flight Strike Training Session

Date:
    Target is to give many sessions, the first of them being
    2014-11-13, 2300 Zulu Time

Attendance:
    It will be given as soon as we get 1 person attending it.

Goals:
    • To build a culture, a common knowledge of the behaviour of eachother, of how, what, when, why.
    • As a corollary, to shorten communications down to a minimum.
    • To increase our survivability, our efficiency, our confidence and our fun while running an air-oriented task force.
    • As a corollary, to multiply occasions for TG to take to the sky.

Miscellanous
    It has already been built, given and field tested. It is now being translated.

Re: Air-to-ground Reaver Flight Strike Training Session

im game =)

Comment

I'm in. But I will need someone to pull a good Reaver for me, if we are using Breaker Rocket Pods.
      "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

I will be there. :) Looking forward to bringing some air power to TG!
        The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Do you need a Valkyrie to serve as a flak magnet and draw fire off the Reavers as they make their initial pass?

Comment

Training Session being already a harsh moment for all the focus it takes, first at least will be in the VR.

It will be just like preparing a choreography. With guns. In the air. And stuff. Stuff. :P

So we will not need that untouchable Valk, mate. You still are welcome, though.
            Last edited by bregard031; 11-07-2014, 07:26 AM. Reason: answering the question

Comment

This is really awesome to see happening. Something very new and out of the box for TG.

Were my computer predicament different (ie if I had a functioning gaming computer) I'd be all over this. As it were I'd love to see a video or an AAR.

Comment

Gaaahhh wish I could play right now ESF's have always been my favorite vehicles in game. but was never able to get any use out of them. Glad to hear people are still interested in air right now.

Comment

Love to but will be at work. :(
                  Communications, Cohesion, Confidence.

Comment

Will be glad to join in. Will not be available until about 7:00pm EST
                    Don't Make Me Summon The Flying Monkeys!

Comment

Computer virus or Trojan. Need to clean before I can play. Will not have time to clean before TomArrow. :(. Cannot attend.
                      The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Malédiction!

See you next session, then. Do not jinx yourself that time. :p

*Knocks on wood*

Comment

Thanks for running the event, Bregard!

Now that you've run me through your procedure, the largest distinction it has from mine is the nature of the attack itself: your strike procedure has the flight hovering at maximum range and engaging the target from a stall (a tactic I know SturmGrenadier has used for precision Sunderer kills in the past), attempting to minimize contact with range, where mine is a high speed strafing run that attempts to minimize contact with speed and angle of approach.

I can see some merits and drawbacks of both, as they both provide differing opportunities and risk profiles:
                          • The standoff approach is lowest risk with regards to AA from the target--flak from the target is at its least threatening and most lock-ons will have difficulty reaching--and gives you more time to line up without air defenses really noticing your presence. However, you've got less opportunities for opportunistic follow up due to distance, and the static flight pattern is extremely risky if enemy flak engages you from somewhere closer than the target or if enemy aircraft pounce on you.
                          • The strafing approach is higher risk with regards to AA from the target as you approach much closer to it in the course of the maneuver and thereby risk more accurate flak and faster lock-ons. It also requires a tight formation and good coordination to hit the target while zooming in at maximum speed. On the flip side, though, you're often in a position to hit targets of opportunity like infantry or other vehicles if the flak proves light, and you're in constant motion the whole time which mitigates risk from flak and makes it harder for enemy interceptors to chase effectively. The low altitude at the end of the maneuver also aids use of the terrain for blocking AA line of sight or shaking pursuit/visual contact.

Looking at them, there's no reason the two different methods of approach couldn't be swapped at-will depending on target and situation, along with other variations like a strafing approach from low altitude to take advantage of visual obstructions prior to the strike.

Here's a thought on order of operations:
                          • Regroup at muster point and await target
                          • Flight leader briefs squad on method of approach, method of engagement, and method of escape
                          • Approach
                          • Engage
                          • Escape
                          • Repeat

The second point is the important change. Instead of having a set expectation of approach/engagement/escape or ordering them on the fly, there's an intentional stage of the flight leader choosing the details ahead of execution. Angle of approach and the exact escape route would be decided here. These are important things to pre-think if we want to keep our vehicles in the air!

I also noticed that your procedure doesn't include actually aquiring the target in question. I presume the assumption is that the PL or friendly forces will call in the strike or place attack request markers for you? If that's the case, I strongly advise (from bitter experience) not to rely on them for the job. They're distracted and ill-informed of your requirements as a CAS squad, and will often give insufficient information or even forget your existence! At best, you'll be sharply handicapped on how often you can hit targets... at worst, you won't be hitting the right targets that'll influence the battle or even be drawn into scenarios that will lose you aircraft!

IMO, it's critically important to integrate spotters tightly with the CAS element. They can feed you targets faster, with greater accuracy and good knowledge of the flow of battle, what the ACTUAL priority targets are, and the layout of enemy flak/local terrain. It's an enormous advantage, and can turn a CAS squad from only making a few strikes per hour to constantly bringing down important targets and grinding an offensive to a halt. A spotter so integrated isn't an external element, but one that needs to be tightly integrated into the procedure and training. The setup I've used is detailed in my post in the Tactical Drills List, albiet with a low level of detail.

My relentless nitpicking aside, thanks for running the class and taking point on all this, Bregard. It's nice to see air support being given serious consideration at TG once more, and if this all means that as a PL I might have air strikes at my disposal than I am a happy man indeed!

Comment

Thank you much for your inputs, starstriker!

I will try to fit the spotter into the drill. It does make sense to train with it, given the fact choosing the proper approach will critically rely on his report's accuracy.

Comment

UN-jinxed it, but a few hours too late. :(

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X