Valkyrie Combat Air Patrol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valkyrie Combat Air Patrol

Calling all Valkyrie pilots and gunners! I'd like to give a Valkyrie air squad a shot over the next few weeks with the main objective of engaging ESFs and eventually moving onto larger air targets. Yes, its crazy given the Valk's current limitations, but it should be interesting to at least see what can be accomplished with between three or four Valks working together. The ideal loadout is:

Wyvern
    Composite Armor
    Fire Suppression
    Evasiveness Air Frame

Ride of the Valkyries Horn is optional :D

If we can achieve some form of success then we'll bring along two Hellion Valks to hit Liberators and Galaxies. Anybody who has managed to sneak up on a lib with a Hellion will shred it to pieces at close range provided your Hellion is certed up.

If you're interested post up here!

Re: Valkyrie Combat Air Patrol

Interesting idea. However I'm not clear on the how. That set up alone does not sound like it would be on equal footing vs even one novice ESF pilot. Did you have more detail in mind?

Comment

sign me up boss!

Comment

Originally posted by VLAD View Post
        Interesting idea. However I'm not clear on the how. That set up alone does not sound like it would be on equal footing vs even one novice ESF pilot. Did you have more detail in mind?
        False. Assault and I have killed more than one ESF with that config. Not many, mind you, but the maddeningly tumbly abilities of the Valkyrie make it really hard to hit.

*WARNING* If you get motion-sick, this will be suicide.

I will gun. My piloting skills are, well, yeah. I wish they'd put a 360 turret in those things, I'd be about 100x more effective in the gunner's seat.

[EDIT] I think it would be hilarious to see a squad of Valks ganging up on larger aircraft. If we do have decent success, we'll have to have someone spectating to take video. oooo, maybe we could drop mines on a hovering galaxy? (I don't know if they'll work that way)
        MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VLAD View Post
          The Wyvern is the best weapon available to go up against an ESF. Mac and I spent a few hours after the Valkyrie's release engaging them with a good degree of success provided there was only one of them. The key is close the gap with the ESF and use the Wyvern at short to point blank range as it will do plenty of damage up close. While one Valk acts as the main target, the other Valks in the squad will attack while the ESF is focused on just one target. Just two Wyverns laying down constant fire on an ESF will destroy it rather quickly.

One of the Valk's strengths in a dogfight is its ability to turn on a dime. If an ESF is chasing you simply swing around and open up on him while using the extra vertical thrust to stay above the target. You're going to get hit by enemy fire, however the composite armor and fire suppression will buy you time for the other Valks to help out.

Comment

That's quite a challenge you've set for yourself. As far as I've seen, the only matchups that go favorably for the Valkyrie are if the Valk can get VERY close to a solo Lib, since I can't turn fast enough to track you, and if the Valk can get the drop on a hurt ESF retreating from battle. Even in my Reaver where I am only a mediocre pilot, the only the Valk is even a threat is if I get jumped. IIRC, less than two nosegun magazines takes a Valk from full to dead. Less than one Tankbuster magazine. Any competent Dalton gunner can kill as many Valkyries as he has rounds of ammo.

I wish you the absolute best of luck, but I don't suspect you'll have much real success.

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

-Count me in for the pilot role I love the valk, despite the limitations. The fact that we'd be using multiples of these things might give us a fighting chance... maybe.

Comment

I'm in. My call is set up this way more or less anyway.
                Communications, Cohesion, Confidence.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X