Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions from a new player

Hello,
    This outfit has been great! Garthra is a great leader and all the other skilled members are awesome to listen to :) I can learn so much.
    I have a lot of questions about the game. I wasn't going to ask them because they might be dumb questions? But maybe other new players have the same questions :) Here are a few of them (didn't want to ask all of them in 1 post, lol). And sorry for my bad writing.. english is my first language but i'm not to smart, LOL :) And i'm sorry if i crash a lot, my computer is not that great :)
    1) I like following orders but i don't know what "stay on point" means. Garthra was saying that a lot tonight, lol. I cant tell if i'm doing that or not. Maybe it means follow the leader? I usually just try to do that but not sure if its right?
    2) When I was fighting with a group in a small room today, i didnt know where to stand. I dont want to stand in front of people (or they will shoot me, maybe on purpose because i'm a newb? haha) and i don't want to stand so far away that I cant heal anyone (i'm a medic by the way). Any suggestions? Today i decided to stand behind Garthra :)
    3) Should i have my medkit equipped all the time, or a gun if we are moving? I don't want people to think I'm a medic who just wants to be a DPS, lol. But I don't want people to think that i dont want to carry my weight by never equipping a weapon? I have horrible aim but i wont improve unless i use my gun more :)
    4) Last question for now :) Should i be spending resource points on something? (The points after my certs on the minimap.) I always have 725 (or 750?) because i dont know what to spend them on. Or maybe having those points maxed is normal? :P Can they be used on anything besides vehicles (flashes)?

I have watched a lot of youtube videos by Wrel, but I have not heard him answer these questions (and if so, sorry.. havent watched all his videos). I finally figured out yesterday, that the number on the right of my ammo is not the number of reloads i can do, but the total ammo i have, LOL!!!!!!! Thank God for the VR room :P

Anyway, thanks for not kicking me out yet, even though i die all the time, lol. And if you can answer some of my questions, great! And if not, that's ok too! :-)

PS - Regneir's armor is awesome looking :)
    Live simply so that others may simply live.
    --Gandhi

Re: Questions from a new player

Hey Lagerfeld,
    These are by no means dumb questions. Many times i have asked myself some of these questions and may have been forced to learn from mistake in order to get it right.
    1. When Squad Leader or Platoon Leader is saying "stay on point" he wants the squad to remain in the capture range of the objective. usually Marked on your mini-map or map with a capital Letter. Note that this will be
    encased in a blue square if NC currently hold the POINT! or a broken Diamond shape if enemy currently holds the point. purple or red depending on which faction. "stay on point" also depends on which class you are playing also. medics standing still on point are easy kills with grenades or bullets.

2. Lets take Medic for instance, Alex has an excellent right up for this class posted in the forums called "How to be a good medic" in the strategy and tactics PS2 forum. ( for some reason it won't let me link it in the post...)
    where to stand is always going to be a hard question to answer because of grenade spam and the necessity to keep moving while healing or reviving. I usually try to pick a spot away from doors far enough away from the first line of defense so i won't take direct bullet damage preferably behind cover while paying attention to surroundings. You do need to be in range if you are needed.

On the flip side lets say you are running heavy or Max load out. You are guarding the Door way. Do you stand right in front of it? Never! I take cover next to a doorway and pop out to scan and take cover. this will not give approaching enemies a target to focus on if they haven't seen you. it creates angles of opportune fire vantage points if you have been spotted and this is where controlling the fight becomes key while paying attention to surroundings. Even on defense you need to dictate the engagement when possible.

3. Medic on the Move! My gun is drawn til medic skills are needed. i may not shoot at enemies but am ready if i need to. My aim isnt that great but a little trick is try the laser sight. hip fire is increase accuracy and can save you for those gotta live situations. When in doubt try to get to cover and use the weapon in defense or obviously easy kills if you arent needed to heal/revive. again Alex021 is a great medic and has listed valuable info in his write up.

4.As you gain Certs and learn new skills resources play a more important role. pick one vehicle and cert it out. if your squad ever needs say a Sunderer for a spawn you have one capable of being aquired and filling a support role. Grenades are useful resources but generally when in a infantry squad your resources will remain waiting to be used.

I hope this helps and hopefully some others chime in with some different perspectives.

Hooah!
    Sunderer7
    Last edited by Toddshooter; 01-20-2015, 08:10 AM. Reason: added link to Alexs guide

Comment

Sunderer covered most of the stuff pretty well.

I just wanted to add, if you are really new, and you like to play Medic, that I would be putting a lot of certs into that class. Like into the Medic tool and Res Grenades, etc. Because these things will help you earn more certs, faster, which can then be spent on more stuff, etc...

After that, start certing into your Heavy Assault, and/or Engineer classes. Those 3 together are considered the "big 3" and are the classes you will be most commonly playing, especially in the beginning.

Other more specialty roles (Infil, Max) and vehicles can come later.

But most of all, cert into things you enjoy playing.
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Lagerfeld View Post
        1) I like following orders but i don't know what "stay on point" means. Garthra was saying that a lot tonight, lol. I cant tell if i'm doing that or not. Maybe it means follow the leader? I usually just try to do that but not sure if its right?
        2) When I was fighting with a group in a small room today, i didnt know where to stand. I dont want to stand in front of people (or they will shoot me, maybe on purpose because i'm a newb? haha) and i don't want to stand so far away that I cant heal anyone (i'm a medic by the way). Any suggestions? Today i decided to stand behind Garthra :)
        3) Should i have my medkit equipped all the time, or a gun if we are moving? I don't want people to think I'm a medic who just wants to be a DPS, lol. But I don't want people to think that i dont want to carry my weight by never equipping a weapon? I have horrible aim but i wont improve unless i use my gun more :)
        I'd just like to add on to DoubleAgent's excellent answers here:

1) I think DoubleAgent covered the specific order you mention well enough, but I'd like to point out another common use of "on point", which is in designating a point man. If a squad lead says that so-and-so is point man/on point, they are now the person everybody should be following. This lets the squad lead delegate moment to moment movement so they can focus on the larger picture, and gives the squad a common element to follow (keeping everyone together). If you're the point man, you should be leading the squad wherever the SL tells you to lead them and keeping your situational awareness high so that you don't lead them into an ambush. If someone else is the point man, just follow them!

2) For fighting in enclosed spaces, here are a few things to think about:
        • Safety; try to minimize the number of angles an attack could come from. Use cover to protect yourself from enemy fire and/or block certain possible angles of attack. Especially as a medic, try to stick in the middle of the group instead of up in the thickest fighting.
        • Cover a sector. Especially in interior fighting, enemies can appear very quickly from a lot of different angles. Nobody can watch all of them at once, and if someone isn't watching them the reaction time required to realize they're there and then get shots on them might be far too late. The best way to manage this is to choose a sector to cover (for instance, a single door or window, or the rear of a group), preferably call that out so other people know you're covering it, and then stay glued to it. Trust your teammates to manage the other angles, and watch your sector reliably enough that they can trust you.
        • Don't get in your team's way. Try to avoid running through a door into the center a room, as you'll block a lot of sightlines as long as you're silhouetted in the door (if Garthra has run you through his breaching drill, you'll notice this is a very important part of a good breach). If you're in front of your teammates, duck to let them shoot over you, things like that.

3) As for whether your gun should be up as a medic, absolutely. You never know when it'll be needed, and the medic class allows you to be a very capable combatant. However, as a medic you should be avoiding the heavy fighting where possible and settling into a support role. My preference is for medics to always be watching the rear and flank of the squad while staying protected from the main source of contact. If someone is injured or down, getting them back up becomes your priority, but until then keep your gun up and cover an angle your teammates aren't!

And yeah, check out Alex's post in the tactics and strategy sub-forum if you're interested in becoming a great medic, it's an excellent resource!

Comment

Wow, thanks for the great responses! I appreciate it! So much to learn :)

I will read Alex's post now. Im anxious to improve. Hope to see yall in the game soon :-)

ps-sorry to whoever i killed yesterday with my grenade. i meant to press F but pressed G... o.O
          The difference 1 key can make, lol.
          Live simply so that others may simply live.
          --Gandhi

Comment

True that! Lagerfeld with us it's not the skill level that is important, it's the right attitude and good teamwork. If you are having fun playing with TG then you will keep playing, and skills will get better with time.

I've accidentally killed more TG members than a lot of vanu probably, heh.
            Communications, Cohesion, Confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Lagerfeld View Post
              4) Last question for now :) Should i be spending resource points on something? (The points after my certs on the minimap.) I always have 725 (or 750?) because i dont know what to spend them on. Or maybe having those points maxed is normal? :P Can they be used on anything besides vehicles (flashes)?
              This one seems to have been missed a little, you referring to the Nanites that are used for C4, Specialty Grenades, med kits, armor & aricraft? If your preferring medic I recommend Maxing "Grenade Bandolier" suit slot and getting Revive Grenades unlocked. Running with 4 R-Grenades can really keep the squad up in tough spots and are excellent on certs when you get em landed in good spots.

Other than infantry gear like grenades, med kits, and C4 the nanites should only be used for vehicles when requested by SL/PL or if you ask to pull something and permission is granted.

Thanks for the shout out :P it was interesting to be squaded up randomly with the guy who actually made the helmet I use for medic. "Recon Grenadier Helmet" for those interested

Comment

this is going to sound silly.. but how do we find each other in the game.. I came accost you guys last night by chance.. but how do I do it on purpose this time ?

Comment

oh Now that your in the outfit its fairly easy, just click on the social tab in the pause menu (The one with the two humans wearing headphones), then click the button on the left that says squads. then click the little check mark box on the top that says outfit, If its not listed there you'll have to use outfit voice chat (9 button i believe by default), or outfit based text chat to request an invite to the squad. Im assuming you know how to switch between the chat windows, (Cntrl+Tab), then ask for a squad invite there.

Comment

Pay attention to the text outfit chat and outfit voice chat, you can ask there if somebody is running a squad or planning to run one (/outfitsay for text, I believe you'll have to keybind outfit voice push to talk because I don't think it's bound by default).

If you go into the squad search UI ('P' key by default will either bring up the squad search UI or bring up a list of squad members, if you've already joined a squad), there's also a checkbox that will show only squads run by your outfit.

Edit: Damn, beat me to it
                    Kardandt - Planetside 2
                    Doing more, with less!
                    Asus K53E Laptop: I5 2450M, 8GB RAM ("Found in the trash" edition), Intel HD Graphics 3000, Logitech Trackman Marble, Tethered Sprint LTE connection

Comment

If you hit escape and look in the social tab, there's a section for the outfit that'll show you everybody in the outfit currently online. You can also send a message to the whole outfit by typing "/o" in front your message, which is a really good way to see if there's a squad available. Finally, if you look in the social tab when you aren't in a squad there's a squad recruitment page. We usually advertise our squads there; look for a TG tag or TacticalGamer in the squad name!

Comment

I found the little headphones and when I go to "outfit" it says search or set up an outfit.. I look next for this squad recruitment page :)

Comment

Oh, I didn't realize you weren't in the outfit! You don't have to join to run with us and use the forum, but if you read and agree with the TG primer, it's the best way to play with us. If you'd like to join there's an application forum here that you'll want to post in, and an NCO should get in touch with you. In game, just look for the TG tag or our URL in the name of the squads. We don't always run public squads, but we do often.
                          Kardandt - Planetside 2
                          Doing more, with less!
                          Asus K53E Laptop: I5 2450M, 8GB RAM ("Found in the trash" edition), Intel HD Graphics 3000, Logitech Trackman Marble, Tethered Sprint LTE connection

Comment

Hey Iaco I see you filled out a outfit application here on the forum. Did you receive a outfit invite in the game when you were on? Also by any chance do you think you accidentally left the outfit?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X