Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The B.R.E.A.C.H system (Breaching Theory)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] The B.R.E.A.C.H system (Breaching Theory)

Hey guys!

Im a relatively new member of the outfit and haven't really gotten around to the whole meet & greet thing yet,
    but I could not wait to post on the forums. I had some excellent ideas hitting me at work this morning so I wrote up a little guide/SOP on a standardized room clearing method.

BREACHING IN PLANETSIDE 2 THEORY

Table of Contents

- What is Breaching?

- The Stack

- The B.R.E.A.C.H System

- Special Weapons and Tactics

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Breaching?

Breaching is the division of military tactics concerning the assault of buildings, small rooms, and any otherwise CQC
    environments where space is limited and tension runs HIGH.
    A typical breach is over in mere seconds, and when executed properly is a DEVASTATING blitz tactic renowned worldwide for
    its efficiency. However, when executed poorly, an attempted breach can spiral into disaster.
    This is why the understanding of breaching mechanics and the regular practising of formations is so important.
    We all have to enter buildings at one point or another in Planetside 2. Its only appropriate that we as Tactical Gamer
    employ these strategies, so as to gain FAIR ADVANTAGE.

The stack

This is the positioning of the squad outside of the door to-be-breached.
    (Skipping ahead a little for a second, this will be later known as the 'R' portion of "B.R.E.A.C.H", meaning "READY".)

The pointman leading the breach assumes the first spot in the stack, immediately adjacent to the door and flush to the
    wall. It is very important to note the position the pointman chooses. It should be on whichever side of the room has more
    space directly through the wall. If immediately inside the door is a wall to the left, and open space to the right, the
    pointman stacks to the right of the door. This allows for an extremely quick visual sweep of the room as the sights are
    pulled into the tightest corner.

The rest of the squad members stack behind their pointman in NUMERICAL ORDER. This is very important,
    as when 'ready' is called, the pointman can see a visible countdown and instantly be sure no one is missing.

The concept of the stack is open to individual interpretation and experimentation at any time, and in fact is
    encouraged to be altered. Want a medic with smoke opposite to the rest of the stack on the other side? Do it!
    Want the stack waiting perpendicular to the wall? I wouldnt do it, but GO AHEAD!

B.R.E.A.C.H (Room clearing SOP)

Ahhhh yesss. The B.R.E.A.C.H abbreviation. I gotta admit, I gave myself a cookie when I thought of this.
    It goes like this:

B - BEHOLD.
    Choose your target. Is is a large building? Small? Does it have open windows, staircases, any kind of structure
    that is noteworthy? It helps to study the typical building layouts located at any warpgate, opposite the spawn.
    This is will give you a prepared understanding of the target before you even begin your stacking.

Clarify with the squad or fireteam exactly which structure you intend to perform a breach on. Give landmarks
    for description, clarify which door you will be breaching, and designate your pointman or squad member tasking.

R - READY.
    So you have your target, you have your soldiers, the next step is to get into the stack.
    The pointman assumes lead position, and the squad members stack behind in order.
    Now, once all members are in stack, a "STACK" call is made from the last in line.
    The last in line then follows with an immediate "READY", prompting the wave to begin as each soldier in the stack
    makes the "READY" call from back to front.

-- IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT THIS BE DONE AS FAST AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE!!!!! THE LONGER THE SQUAD WAITS IN STACK,
    THE LONGER THEY ARE SITTING DUCKS. SQUAD MEMBERS ARE URGED TO ASSUME POSITION AND CALL "READY" ASAP --

E - ENTER.
    This is your breach. This is where all the magic happens.
    After the ready call is made, the pointman calls "READY' himself, and then follows with a "BREACH BREACH BREACH".
    The next seconds will make or break your assault. Depending on chosen special weapons and tactics, smoke may be
    deployed now. A frag grenade is not recommended as the timed fuse will often kill the entire friendly breaching squad.
    Whatever movements are made now are highly dependent on the type of formation chosen for the breach.
    A good rule of thumb I like to keep in mind is something I call the "Penta" formation. Think of it as a five-point
    star drawn on the floor of the room. The door sits at the bottom of the star, with the pointman either left or right.
    After the pointman enters and clears the tight corner, the subsequent breach members follow a systematic pattern
    of sightlines starting at the door, then to the far opposite corner, then to the far direct corner, and finally the front.
    Think of it as changing a car tire; You want to evenly distribute the torque on the lugs by going in a 5-point star
    pattern.
    Squad members should call out "CLEAR" when all threats have been neutralized or no threat is detected, but in real-time.
    This serves doubly to inform the squad leader, and inform your fellow breachers where it is safe to turn their back on.
    On a two-storey or three-storey building, the last 2 steps (R.E) are repeated at the staircase of each subsequent floor.

A - ASSESS.
    Stand back and take a good look at what youve done.
    How was the breach performed? Were there any missteps? How many friendly/enemy casualties? Was it a success?
    There is a flood of information just waiting to be seized after every successful and unsuccessful operation.
    It is extremely important that the learning experience not be wasted, or the failure become an emotional reaction.
    Standing back and analyzing mistakes without bias towards yourself is an extremely enlightening habit, not only in
    gaming, but in life. The only failures in life are those who have closed their minds for good.

C - COMMS.
    Speaks for itself. Take what you observed in the last step (save for the personal reflections) and relay it to your PL.
    Try to keep it as concise as possible, say only what needs to be said. No more, no less.
    For example;
    (ALPHA PLATOON, BREACH SUCCESSFUL, 2 FRIENDLY 5 ENEMY CASUALTIES, POINT [B] SECURED, OVER)

H - HOLD.
    WHY WOULD YOU BREACH IF YOURE JUST GOING TO LEAVE?!?!?!? ARE YOU INSANE?
    But seriously, hold on to what youve earned, pop champagne for the squad, and await your next orders from Platoon.

Special Weapons And Tactics

This will just be a quick section on highly recommended equipment/class pairings to maximize your effectiveness.

- Underbarrel Smoke + IRNV

- Flak/Nano Armor (kind of a given, and up to preference; I feel like grenades are a much higher threat in cqc)

- AI MAX + Aegis Shield (A max 'maaaaay' be a little too high maitenance for a breach, but its up to you)

- Any shotgun (seriously guys you cannot go wrong with a shotgun; This is where they shine)

- EOD Implant (for intel, not for in-the-breach minesweeping. Having an EOD can save your squad from taking the
    wrong hallway and becoming claymore applesauce)

- Marker Implant (If using smoke, this is a good way to counteract a lack of IRNV capabilities from your squad, or to supplement natural target finding reaction speeds)

Thats pretty much it guys! I wanted to do a video on this but simply do not have the time at the moment.
    If any of you outfit members would be willing to meet me in the training areas to put some of this into action,
    just let me know!

See you in the stack

Willis77
    "M'Bonus Cheque"
    *tips windhelm*
    ---------------------

sigpic

Re: The B.R.E.A.C.H system (Breaching Theory)

Willis,
    Much of this writing is interesting and very good theory.

Originally posted by Willis View Post
    R – READYSo you have your target, you have your soldiers, the next step is to get into the stack.
    The pointman assumes lead position, and the squad members stack behind in order.
    Now, once all members are in stack, a "STACK" call is made from the last in line.
    The last in line then follows with an immediate "READY", prompting the wave to begin as each soldier in the stack
    makes the "READY" call from back to front.
    -- IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT THIS BE DONE AS FAST AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE!!!!! THE LONGER THE SQUAD WAITS IN STACK,
    THE LONGER THEY ARE SITTING DUCKS. SQUAD MEMBERS ARE URGED TO ASSUME POSITION AND CALL "READY" ASAP –
    We debated having each person call “ready” individually when we were planning out the breach training. The reason we decided not to do it was that it provided very little additional insurance of readiness, and significantly increased risk. The increase in risk was due to the longer time sitting in the stack, which you correctly identified as a potential threat. Furthermore, if one member does not have a microphone, or does not speak clearly, or is AFK, or if one guy gets killed, there is a possibility of the count stopping. This will create disruption and possibly spending even more time in the very vulnerable stack.

Based on this consideration we decided not to have a count by each squad member in the stack. Instead we opted for “stack up, set… grenade… Breach-breach-breach.”

Originally posted by Willis View Post
    C - COMMS.
    Speaks for itself. Take what you observed in the last step (save for the personal reflections) and relay it to your PL.
    Try to keep it as concise as possible, say only what needs to be said. No more, no less.
    For example;
    (ALPHA PLATOON, BREACH SUCCESSFUL, 2 FRIENDLY 5 ENEMY CASUALTIES, POINT [B] SECURED, OVER)

Special Weapons And Tactics

This will just be a quick section on highly recommended equipment/class pairings to maximize your effectiveness.
    - Underbarrel Smoke + IRNV
    - Flak/Nano Armor (kind of a given, and up to preference; I feel like grenades are a much higher threat in cqc)
    - AI MAX + Aegis Shield (A max 'maaaaay' be a little too high maitenance for a breach, but its up to you)
    - Any shotgun (seriously guys you cannot go wrong with a shotgun; This is where they shine)
    - EOD Implant (for intel, not for in-the-breach minesweeping. Having an EOD can save your squad from taking the
    wrong hallway and becoming claymore applesauce)
    - Marker Implant (If using smoke, this is a good way to counteract a lack of IRNV capabilities from your squad, or to supplement natural target finding reaction speeds)
    I agree comms are always awesome.

Also, the special weapons are a very good point.
    Thermal sights -- Most people don't have specialized close quarters equipment, but I would advise picking one very close range gun for your most commonly used class. TG does a lot of point holds, getting thermal sights on your favorite close quarters weapon is a small investment (30 certs I think). Thermal sights are good for smoky situations. With close quarters guns (shotty, smg, high rate of fire assault rifle, whatever you prefer) you can practically hip fire them, so you don't lose anything in terms of zoom (at range the weapon is useless anyway), so you basically created a switch on your gun, for smoke mode or night / nonsmoke or day mode.

Smoke launchers -- I personally use smoke whenever I can. You will often hear me saying "anyone got smoke in squad?" I figure every squad should have one guy with a smoke launcher for covering oper terrain movement or disrupting enemies indoors. Ideally an engineer since he can reload his own ammo. We discussed using smoke during breaches as well, and we may in the future.

Keep thinking Willis. :) It's good to see.
    Last edited by Garthra; 01-20-2015, 02:26 AM.
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

What chu talkin 'bout, Willis?! :p

Welcome to TG, man!

And so, being new, what you probably didn't know was that we (well not me so much, but more like Garthra and others) spent a significant amount of time and effort in game experimenting with different iterations of breaching methods to figure out what works best. I'm on my mobile, so can't look it up just now, but hopefully someone can link that other thread.

Not to discourage you, keep thinking, as Garthra said. :) There is a long and proud tradition of theory crafting here at TG, and so I'm sure you will fit in just fine around here. :)

Again, welcome!
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

What are everybody's thoughts on the inevitable vertical scenarios of PS2? Has anyone developed game specific TTPs for breaching using grav lifts, room clearing up and down in towers, coming from a rooftop gal drop, or going to Subterranean Nanite?
        Last edited by Fracsid; 01-20-2015, 08:53 PM.
        Kardandt - Planetside 2
        Doing more, with less!
        Asus K53E Laptop: I5 2450M, 8GB RAM ("Found in the trash" edition), Intel HD Graphics 3000, Logitech Trackman Marble, Tethered Sprint LTE connection

Comment

Wow, Some really fast replies guys!
          Yes Garthra, the whole ready process was being visualized in my head and I went "Wait...... this is a very bad spot to be in for so long"
          I like the revised version you offered much more. People are going to fall behind once in a while and it cant cost the squad (see; Hot gal pickups)

Randy
          I should have done a more thorough search of the forums to check what had been talked about previously. I had only read a thread or two, specifically the one with Vanu infographics.
          However this was more of a "share my ideas while theyre fresh". I wrote this up in about 15 minutes before bed so I wouldnt forget the key aspects.
          Ive since read a LOT if not most of the breaching material. You guys are extremely creative in theorycrafting. Im really excited to be aboard.

Also Fracsid, Thats an interesting variable I hadnt even thought of. My brain was stuck in the horizontal
          "M'Bonus Cheque"
          *tips windhelm*
          ---------------------

sigpic

Comment

I don't think we've specifically addressed it, no. It seems like a pertinent thing to discuss, though; while something like a light assault rooftop breach or a breach following a rooftop drop is a relatively straightforward extrapolation of our existing procedure, dealing with a grav lift, teleporter or landing pad is a remarkably different kind of scenario with additional risks and complications.

All these types of entrances greatly constrain your possible entry routes more than even a doorway does. Grav lifts and jump pads offer a little flexibility in how you enter, but simultaneously lose a lot of the opportunity for surprise unless the enemy isn't paying attention to the infantry flying through the air at them. They also have the added disadvantage of having you airborne and ineffective for a long part of the breach.

My thoughts with them are:
            • Spread out from them laterally in the direction of contact, just like we would with a regular breach
            • Grenading the defenders before breaching isn't possible
            • Emphasize overwhelming force; lead with the MAX suits, don't engage without superior numbers or another similar advantage
            • Use other assets as supporting elements; most of these breach locations are in open areas like tower parapets or landing pads. Another squad with overwatch can make the breach easy, as could an armour squad or liberator team that has eyes on.
            • Stay the hell away from Subterranean Nanite. That base is awful.

Comment

-I like the idea of using air assets to bombard a landing pad perhaps like at a bio in order to gain a foothold, and also this may be one of the few times the duster for the lib may be usefull, also light assaults possess the ability to loiter in the air for a while, as well as the smoke launcher and smoke grenades a LA may be able to loiter in the air and throw smoke or flashbangs in order to provide some visual cover to the squad attempting to gain a foothold.
              -also as far as the standard breaches go... Im glad you emphasized the fact that speed is of utmost importance, its really easy for one or two guys to get picked off and have to wait for the medic to get them...
              -I also propose a organized night where the main focus will be putting room breaches into effect. We've had training sessions before (Thanks Garthra) But I have found we havent really put these tactics into action a whole lot, other than a straight up charge for the room, witch sometimes works. The Idea would be to operate in fights that we know will require some room breaching (Think losing base defenses, areas where our offensive force needs to gain a foothold for offensive perpouses things like that. We'd be the ice pick for blueberries attempting to get a base, we'd do our breach hold the room and then once we are confident in our winning we move onto the next base... rinse and repeat. The Idea here would be time as well that we would want to cast our net very large, time wise that way as many people from the tg community as possible gain experience with the room breach tactics. The idea here is to make it a very... Very common thing we do, instead of a every great once in a while when the sl remembers (I'm guilty of this as well). I also will volunteer to lead sutch a squad but between game crashes and a bad sounding mic and lag I may need too switch SL over at some time during the night. I would also like to get some NCO's and general Squad leaders input on the idea of such a night.

Comment

The problem with a "breaching only" squad is that you can't always find a proper breach situation when you are looking for one.

I think a more realistic scenario would be to set out with the intention, do a couple practice runs at warpgate, and then just go about normal play except for looking for every opportunity to practice breaching.

It will likely be messy, with some people in the squad not knowing what they are doing (remember, not everyone reads the forums). But the only way we are going to keep getting better at it is by practice, practice, practice (or drill, drill, drill if you prefer).
                "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

-Fair enough also shameless bump as We should begin practicing this once again.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X