SOE becomes DayBreak game company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOE becomes DayBreak game company

For those that have not yet heard SOE has been acquired by Columbus Nova.

The announcement and info is in the following link: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/.../#post-3094759

So what do you guys think about this? and would it effect the game?

Also if you want read what the community has to say about it this is the reddit link: Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company : Planetside

Re: SOE becomes DayBreak game company

Wait and see, insufficient data. Could be good, could be awful. I've heard that the investment company that bought them isn't a "raid and pillage" kind of firm, and that Sony as a whole wasn't doing so hot, so maybe positive?

Comment

It's been suggested by the developers that they may actually have more resources at their disposal now. But as StarStriker says, insufficient data, wait and see.
      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Problematic at worst, I believe I read somewhere that Planetside 2 finally started turning a profit recently so at the least PS2 should be safe for a while either way.

Comment

Day. Break. Games. Day break games. They break games.
          Accurate title, I r8 8/8 for honesty.
          No more "blame SOE", new things to point fingers at, this is so exciting.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
          ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

PANIC AND DESPAIR!!!! Oh wait, this isn't an automotive supplier or other engineering firm with physical assets we're talking about... Oh well. DESPAIR!!! MINDLESS FEAR AND PANIC!!!
            MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

I cannot understand why one of the largest entertainment/media companies would abandon their online division at the start of the new digital networked era. Not knowing internal earnings/cost reports and grand business plans it is fairly useless to speculate. Does Sony have other online development assets that rendered SOE redundant? Sony has kept its hardware gaming platform (Playstation) and appears to have shed the online programming aspect -- SOE. Yet again, why do so after almost 20 years of development and at the very moment when the online digital gaming era is massifying? Perhaps related to mobile platform issues -- perhaps a quick cash grab -- Sony's stock is down almost 50% since 2007. An odd move when one considers that console gaming revenues are now being eclipsed by online and mobile gaming revenues across the industry. Very fool hardy.

The future of PS2 is not really the key issue here. I think any game designer with sufficient intelligence can see some pretty unique aspects in the PS2 design and I suspect we will see it expanded and copied.

But gaming evolves at a glacial pace and very good business models, designs, and technologies can fail in the marketplace due to external factors, so predicting the future is wasted words here.
              sigpic

Comment

I dont know about everyone else but the things I fear are the new company killing h1z1 and or planetside 2

Comment

I hope PlanetSide 2 remains, but at least if H1Z1 gets killed, it did not happen after it was fully released.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                    I cannot understand why one of the largest entertainment/media companies would abandon their online division at the start of the new digital networked era. Not knowing internal earnings/cost reports and grand business plans it is fairly useless to speculate. Does Sony have other online development assets that rendered SOE redundant? Sony has kept its hardware gaming platform (Playstation) and appears to have shed the online programming aspect -- SOE. Yet again, why do so after almost 20 years of development and at the very moment when the online digital gaming era is massifying? Perhaps related to mobile platform issues -- perhaps a quick cash grab -- Sony's stock is down almost 50% since 2007. An odd move when one considers that console gaming revenues are now being eclipsed by online and mobile gaming revenues across the industry. Very fool hardy.

The future of PS2 is not really the key issue here. I think any game designer with sufficient intelligence can see some pretty unique aspects in the PS2 design and I suspect we will see it expanded and copied.

But gaming evolves at a glacial pace and very good business models, designs, and technologies can fail in the marketplace due to external factors, so predicting the future is wasted words here.
                    My understanding is that Sony as a whole is quite a mess and very fractured, and is not doing too hot overall. On that count, SOE is not a particularily nicely performing asset. It eats a ton of money, and while my understanding of it was that it was profitable, it wasn't THAT profitable considering the costs. If someone offered them a big chunk of money to take something that was very nearly a liability off their hands, I could see them jumping at it. Maybe short sighted (maybe not), but if they're primarily concerned with their short term bottom line that might explain it.

Comment

It is worth noting that every online business division of Microsoft has lost money every quarter. Disney online has an almost equally bad track record. So losses in themselves may not count for much in the business equation (a highly irrational process at best). I suspect (pure uneducated guess) that PS2 represents more as intellectual property and as a format/model that invites future development. As a game title it must be getting to the downside of the profit/loss curve as the community ages and moves on to newer things. But when I look at it I see all sorts of money left on the table by SOE -- many possibilities for extra cash flow from developing gamer-whales (as seen in the $10,000 ships of EVE) and expanding into other imaginariums. Pointless speculation but I always thought if I was a bizzillonaire i would buy this baby and see what more could be done with it.

Right now their consumer proposition -- $10 to $12 a month for front of the waiting line (never really need that) and some digital trinkets is an insult to the intelligence. And I say this having been a PS2 paying member for a year. The in-game digital trinkets are equally banal -- mind you, people pay for sheep in Farmville, but if you want serious money from serious gamers you need to treat the customer (and the grumpy old man) with a little more respect. I WOULD put anywhere between $500 and $1000 dollars a year into PS2 if sufficiently rewarded. They have the wrong people making business and design strategy for PS2.
                      sigpic

Comment

Disney and Microsoft are both very stable, very profitable companies. They can afford to run a loss on something for long term speculation. Maybe I've misheard, but I'm understanding that Sony isn't in such a good state right now.

As for Planetside, my understanding is actually that it's only just begun to turn a profit.

As for the whole bit about the consumer proposition... they COULD have turned the game into a free to play, pay to win, consumer/whale milking machine. There is a science to doing that, one that's been mastered by the likes of Zynga. THAT, in my mind, would be the insulting and disrespectful approach. The free to play model is rife with ethical concerns (especially the whole "whale" thing, which is dehumanizing at best and exploitive of the people least able to control their spending at worst), and I've been gratified to see that Planetside has largely avoided those ethical traps, even if that means it's been less profitable.

Comment

daybreak just let go of a handful of staff from different titles. including the build master for PS2 and H1Z1 =(

https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/56...418716160?s=09

looks like its time to find a new game to play...

Comment

There is an ever growing list of layoffs on the sub reddit.

Comment

Well, if worst comes to worst sooner than later we will play together until the lights go out. As sad as that may be when the day comes, we will do what we have always done -- find another virtual playground, regroup, and get on with it.

Great lessons have been learned here by the Admin team and I suspect that the team and the lessons will facilitate a fast reboot into the next new thing.

In the meantime there is no point in planning the funeral while the patient still lives.

Game on.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...