A plea to the leaders from a newbie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A plea to the leaders from a newbie

This post is in no way intended to judge or criticize another player's leadership abilities. Lord knows, not only can i not lead (obviously), i can barely play, lol! Instead, I want this post to be more of a praise to those leaders who are newbie-friendly, and some requests to those who are, IMHO, very good, but not so newbie friendly, lol. And by newbie, I mean myself, but if it applies to other new players, then all the better!

I've been playing the game since the week of Christmas, so about a month. I've never played a FPS game before, so not only is PS2 new to me, the whole FPS genre is also new. I don't know the geography, the maps, the vehicles (stats), or the weapon types. The terminology is still foreign, as are some (or most) of the game mechanics. I still occasionally have a hard time determining friend from foe during the heat of battle, and simply cannot.. ever.. kill an enemy player in a 1v1 battle. I don't understand the weapon systems in a vehicle, nor can i even drive a vehicle effectively, especially planes ("I swear, that mountain wasn't there 2 seconds ago!").

When I hear things like, "equip for close quarters," "AA kits" or "anti-infantry armor", I still have to really think about it. If i'm going to even try to equip myself for the requested scenario, I have to read through each of my available items to figure out what to use, which in this game, takes WAY too much time. Usually, I just stay with Medic, because anything else just holds the group up. So, my one request, hoping this isn't out-of-line, is that the leaders be more cognizant of some members, like myself, being new.

I'm not requesting anyone to "dumb it down" to unbearable levels. I mean, most of the players are veterans (or so it seems) and probably don't want the battle to move any more slowly. Or perhaps they are quite happy with the abbreviated directives received. I mean, I certainly don't want someone to tell me *how* to "Google" a topic.. just tell me what the topic is, and I can Google it myself. Likewise, I'm sure the veteran players just need to know the end-goal, not how to get there!

But the point of this post is not to necessarily focus on catering to newbies (although in some ways it is, lol), but more of an affirmation to good (newbie-friendly) leadership, and those who employ its mechanisms.

First and foremost, is Garthra. For a new player, he is easy to understand, even if I don't know what he always means. Specifically, his voice is clear and his directions are also clear... clear enough that I can follow him :) If there is a Garthra-squad up, I'll always stop what i'm doing to join it. His voice is always perfectly audible (volume wise), never too high or too low, and he is patient enough to even forgive my newbness. He's also the one who recruited me, so there may be a little bit of bias in there.

Kardandt, who was the first person I ever grouped with (before I was a TG member). I remember joining a random squad one day (that darn [Insert] key), and he was the only person in the group! I almost left (because I didn't want anyone to see how awful i was, lol), but he was very polite, so I stayed. Not only that, he was so patient with me.

Sunderer7 is also very good. Again, clear voice comms, clear direction and patience! For a newb, you have no idea how nice that is!

And Regneir! Although never a leader (at least, i've not experienced it yet), he is super easy to group with, equally patient, and will answer any question I have, no matter how ridiculous! I tend to follow him around a lot.. which is easy to do, since he's dressed like a fireman, LOL :P

There are others, both leaders and non-leaders, who are most excellent TG members, but my memory fails me as I get older (or maybe it's the Scotch I just had, lol), but seriously, the 3 listed truly stand out... from a new player's perspective. (But please forgive me if I've left off others... seriously, this Scotch is just that good!)

To all other leaders, keep in mind a few things... if you are so inclined... :)

--If you mumble, I cannot hear or understand what your directions are and am usually left to follow the crowd. Of course, if I don't spawn where everyone else does, it can be difficult.
    --Just assume that not everyone knows your acronyms or abbreviations... because not everyone does :)
    --Good players are not necessarily good instructors, so this is absolutely not a criticism... just a perspective from a not-so-good-player. I know plenty of people in my personal life who are very good at their chosen professions, but have a difficult time teaching it.
    --Some voice comms are too low, and some are too loud. It can be difficult to juggle with the volumes in this game, considering the non-stop action of it. If I don't seem to follow a direction, it could be that i've simply not heard it clearly.
    --Please don't jump from goal to goal, unless the goal is clear. I can't always tell that you've changed your spawn point while i'm dead, since I can't see the chat until I've respawned. And if your directions aren't clear to a newb, I will usually try to follow another player (if they are around), or redeploy to the area closest to the team. Basically, I'm desperately trying to follow you, but I may not get it right, so try not to judge to harshly :)
    --But most importantly, just to restate it, if you mumble or use incomplete sentences, it can be very difficult to understand what is expected. From my point of view, i just want to be the best darn squad member possible, so if I can't do that (whatever the reason), I feel useless and unimportant. And let's face it, it's not like my lame skills will carry us to victory, lol. So, just try to do what you can do to make me (and others) feel important.. make us feel like our presence matters and that we actually contribute... even if we really don't :P I can assure you, eventually, we *will* contribute.

Anywho, I salute everyone in this Outfit and am so glad to have found a group of players that I can learn from. I will one day be worthy of the TG tag :)

Regards,
    Timewriter
    Live simply so that others may simply live.
    --Gandhi

Re: A plea to the leaders from a newbie

Hey Timewriter,

First thing, bless your soul for picking planetside as your first FPS.

Please don't consider yourself a newbie or think you are holding the squad by asking questions. It is our job as members to help each other out no matter what rank you have. You are not just apart of the outfit but also you belong to the TG community now. There's one thing about TG no matter what game you play, is that we look out for one another. Now I know my style of play and leading is a little more advanced (crazy) and fast paced and I may get carried away with the battle which causes me to sometimes forget the topics you've mentioned. This is something I will start to work on whenever I have newer players to the game and outfit in my squads. I'm not sure if you have a mic or not but please either say or type if the squad leader could repeat their orders again. This will let them know that they may be mumbling or just need to slow down a tab bit.

Thank you for reaching and letting us know your concerns, this is something that every squad leader should read and remember. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about the game on here that way we can make sure you are enjoying everything about the game and not be forced to just play medic.

Thank you again,
    -Ghost

Comment

Excellent post, the new player experience is something we really need to keep in mind!

Obviously there's a big burden on the SL for keeping the experience approachable to a new player, but here are some thoughts for you to hopefully help ease some of the burden here:
      • Your strategy for handling squad-level equipment is a pretty good one; when I order a squad to "kit up for AA" for instance, it doesn't mean that EVERYONE should be grabbing anti-air weaponry. We still need medics, engineers, and other support roles, and grabbing one of those and just tagging along is super helpful. I can see how this is a bit of a mystifying order as a new player; it's terse and open-ended because it's often time-critical and the SL can't spare the time to micro manage the details, and that necessarily leaves a lot of details for individual squad members to sort out, and when you consider just how massive the learning curve is that's quite a burden for a newbie! If you have a question about what a loadout order means for you personally, please do not hesitate to ask!
      • On a similar note, if I ask the squad to "kit out for close-quarters", for instance, the order is mainly for YOUR benefit; after playing the game for a while, you'll have a sense of what weapons you like to bring to a close in fight, what ones won't work there, etc. If you don't really know what weapons to select for that, you're probably just fine bringing the basics, which are usually nice all-arounders.
      • Let the SL know that you're new! If we know you're new we can make the effort to explain ourselves better and pay extra attention to where you're at. We'll be happy to help!

As for SLs, the best advice is to be clear and specific. That goes even when you've got a veteran squad, but goes double with new players! Make your expectations clear and your orders specific and people will follow better and won't have to worry as much about how they interpret the orders.

Comment

Lagerfeld,

You raise a really good topic for leaders to consider: If your squad members cannot understand you, it does not matter if you are Napoleon reborn.

Leadership Tip for Clarity:
        One thing I find useful is I am changing a previous order I say "Change in orders" before the new order so it is clear to everyone this is new.

Close Quarters/Long Range Kits
        Here is one tip to help keep yourself organized for either "close quarters" or "long range" kits :
        If I recall correctly a starting player quickly acquires 3 Preset kits for each class. (Someone correct me on the number if I am wrong.) But you should have at least two presets in any case.

I just use preset 1 (furthest left) preset as closest range, and getting further and further range as I go right. So for example I would have something like a shotgun on the left, a assault rifle in the middle, and a semi automatic long range rifle on the right. I standardize this on all classes. So no matter what class I am I can without thinking select a "close" or "long range" kit. Also, you can change the name of the preset kits by clicking on the name (I think it is something like "preset #" by default) and typing what you want. So I literally have a class called "close quarters" for my heavy infantry class on the left, originally Preset 1, and a "long range" class on the right, originally preset 5 I think. I do this for every class in just the same way. This helps me stay organized and quickly re-equip.

As for determining which weapons are shorter or longer range, if you leave your mouse over the weapon in your weapon selection (infantry terminal screen) it will give you a chart of the weapon damage. On that chart you see at what range it begins to lose damage.

"If I don't seem to follow a direction, it could be that i've simply not heard it clearly."
        A good point to remember for all leaders. I am often too quick to think a player is deliberately disobeying an order, and need to give them the benefit of the doubt more often.

Worthy of TG
        You don't need to be skilled in Planetside 2, or any game, to worthy of the TG tag. You just have to treat your fellow players with maturity and respect. So I think you already are. Glad to have you with us.
        The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Great post Timewriter and good feedback too. Had some great games with you.

As a (very) occasional SL I'm not always aware that people might not understand me. Perhaps a radio check when I login would be sensible. Beyond that, please let people know they can't be understood in-game! Also the internet is what it is, so don't be afraid to ask that requests/orders be repeated.

You'll figure out what kit configurations you often need to switch to. Organizing by close/medium range as infantry, and then Anti infantry/armour/air when you're in a tank/aircraft is a good way to start breaking your kits down. Going medic at the beginning is a great role because a squad always needs a reliable one that can stay back and stay alive. TG is proud of its medics, and we have some of the best medics in the game. I'm looking at you [MENTION=36896]Alex2[/MENTION]1. He doesn't even talk (ever), but I know he'll be there.
          Last edited by CoiledTortoise; 02-05-2015, 03:28 PM.

Comment

I'm not a PS2 guy but I do my share of leading both small and larger groups in a gaming environment. Garthra and I have chewed alot of the same dirt in the ARMA series. You guys are really representing TG in the way you are taking care of your newer players. Kudos to you.

I just wanted to add it's always a good idea to ask if anyone has any questions after a briefing. That's a good time to deal with any uncertainty before hitting the field. Newer guys need to speak up at this time. No shame in asking for clarification or help with something you aren't too familiar with.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Excellent points timewriter, and thanks very much for bringing them up! With our latest recruiting this is more and more of an issue as we tend not to have the "same old groups" playing, which is really great.

I will bear this all in mind when I'm leading but also would be happy to squad up with you in a small squad just to practice all of the vehicle mechanics, kit settings, etc.

In all of the squads I've been in with you, I have not often noticed you slowing the squad, and you have saved my butt several times as a medic. Always happy to be in a squad with you brother!
              Communications, Cohesion, Confidence.

Comment

-Quick list just for reference As I don't think anyone Identified it yet.
                -AA: Anti Air (This is the burster max, (Lightings) Skygaurd, The walker for the harasser, and the the heavies hawk or nanite systems lock on launcher. Most of these are pretty expensive sub for the hawk launcher so I would stick with medic here.
                -AV: This is anti vehicle most things that explode sub for the standard frags and maybe the grenade launcher are av. This is your tanks, your c4 your rocket launchers (Even default) One of the default max weapons is av. This is probably one of the (If your certing into destructibility) best Ways to go just for the simple fact that in our infantry often times runs into Armour and we frequently run AV squads.
                -AI: Anti Infantry usually doesn't have to be specified except for with certain things like maxes tanks and sometimes aircraft. Just for the fact that some things like maxes and tanks arent effective unless there specified for the role, tanks for instance have only one nose gun to shoot with so its useful to know

-Close range (Cant give any recommendations for medics on close range guns other than smg and default shotty) anything that shoots really fast or is a shotgun of some sort, upwards of 700-800 RPM (Rounds Per Minute) is what a close range weapon looks like for heavy this is EM1 for light assault and engineer this the GD7-F, infil this is the smg. (Even the default carbines and assault rifles are good for close range the key to survive ability in this arena is head shots if you can land them.) Honestly with this I'd recommend sticking with the shotty you get by default for close range smg's should come later and only if you want to kill stuff it seems like your shooting for a support roll
                -Mid Range this is a tough range to find the right situations for and honestly TG ive noticed doesnt stay at midrange for long Its usually that were at long range or short range. And in essence it should be saved for endgame when your bored with the usual playstyles. Also many of the long range weapons are good with midrange, a famous example of this being the Gauss Saw for the heavy assault. These weapons are the Warden (MABEY) semi auto and the one full auto scout rifles for the infiltrator. The best carbine I've found for this is the ns 11c or the secondary carbine you can get from the quiz thing at the begining (Im forgetting the name at this time) The nanite systems assault rifle for the medic is also good at this as well. Heck alot of the medic rifles are really good for most ranges. Ive always kinda wondered for this reason Why we run more heavy assaults in a squad usually then medics.

-Finally long range these weapons usually Ive found are kind of hard to come by and most anything thats fully auto is incapable of doing mutch more than wounding a target, (Looking at you heavy gauss saw Recoils is insane on this gun) Doable but very difficult. Most of these weapons that are effective are sniper rifles and thus you'll have to play infil unless using weapons like the warden to be effective at this range. The warden has seemed to grant success with a scope to some people at this range But I have yet to achieve success myself with a weapon like this (This is in reference to playing with the vanu equivalent not the actually warden) *YES I KNOW EVERYONE HATE ME BECAUSE I USED TO BE A VANU. Its ok now though The nc saved me from the cult.

-A side note on long vs midrange av. Most long range AV is expensive 1000 certs this is the engis AV turret and the ravens for the max. I cant think of any other longrange av. The lockon launchers are capable of reaching the lower end of long range av though. These types of weapons are needed when we run av nests on top of hills or from far away. Whereas Mid-range av tends to be better for the occasional vehicle we come across on some of our field fights or general fighting.

Comment

Hey Timewriter, as an occasional Squad Leader I tend to move fast. One thing I try to do is to update my orders as they change, vocally, and reiterate them for affirmation so people are aware of the change. I can understand how confusing this game is especially when the squad is moving fast, so do be afraid to speak up if you don't understand an order. I will try to slow down and issue orders simply and directly. Good to have you on board.

Never Beat Ninja Gaiden

Comment

Originally posted by Lagerfeld View Post
                    When I hear things like, "equip for close quarters," "AA kits" or "anti-infantry armor", I still have to really think about it. If i'm going to even try to equip myself for the requested scenario, I have to read through each of my available items to figure out what to use, which in this game, takes WAY too much time. Usually, I just stay with Medic, because anything else just holds the group up. So, my one request, hoping this isn't out-of-line, is that the leaders be more cognizant of some members, like myself, being new.

And Regneir! Although never a leader (at least, i've not experienced it yet), he is super easy to group with, equally patient, and will answer any question I have, no matter how ridiculous! I tend to follow him around a lot.. which is easy to do, since he's dressed like a fireman, LOL :P

There are others, both leaders and non-leaders, who are most excellent TG members, but my memory fails me as I get older (or maybe it's the Scotch I just had, lol), but seriously, the 3 listed truly stand out... from a new player's perspective. (But please forgive me if I've left off others... seriously, this Scotch is just that good!)

To all other leaders, keep in mind a few things... if you are so inclined... :)

--If you mumble, I cannot hear or understand what your directions are and am usually left to follow the crowd. Of course, if I don't spawn where everyone else does, it can be difficult.
                    --Just assume that not everyone knows your acronyms or abbreviations... because not everyone does :)
                    --Good players are not necessarily good instructors, so this is absolutely not a criticism... just a perspective from a not-so-good-player. I know plenty of people in my personal life who are very good at their chosen professions, but have a difficult time teaching it.
                    --Some voice comms are too low, and some are too loud. It can be difficult to juggle with the volumes in this game, considering the non-stop action of it. If I don't seem to follow a direction, it could be that i've simply not heard it clearly.
                    --Please don't jump from goal to goal, unless the goal is clear. I can't always tell that you've changed your spawn point while i'm dead, since I can't see the chat until I've respawned. And if your directions aren't clear to a newb, I will usually try to follow another player (if they are around), or redeploy to the area closest to the team. Basically, I'm desperately trying to follow you, but I may not get it right, so try not to judge to harshly :)
                    --But most importantly, just to restate it, if you mumble or use incomplete sentences, it can be very difficult to understand what is expected. From my point of view, i just want to be the best darn squad member possible, so if I can't do that (whatever the reason), I feel useless and unimportant. And let's face it, it's not like my lame skills will carry us to victory, lol. So, just try to do what you can do to make me (and others) feel important.. make us feel like our presence matters and that we actually contribute... even if we really don't :P I can assure you, eventually, we *will* contribute.

Anywho, I salute everyone in this Outfit and am so glad to have found a group of players that I can learn from. I will one day be worthy of the TG tag :)

Regards,
                    Timewriter
                    Alrighty hey buddy,

I trimmed the quote down to focus on a couple of things, first the "equip kits" section. Garthra's way of doing it is ingenious and I had never thought of doing so and certainly adds a bit of clarity to the kit part. And if you want to spend some time chatting we can go over what weapons you have unlocked and what their best uses are, as well as go to VR and try some recommendations out.

Secondly, thanks for the shout out....everyone loves the banana.
                    There are a great deal of members that are fun to play with and I always say a TG squad is worth 3 random squads. Point being: Lili, my Vanu character taht was my main since launch, is BR 70. I played that character for 12 days and 3 hours game time. Regneir my NC character, have started dedicated play since just after christmas (with TG [joined TG at BR 20 or so]) is already BR 64 with a mere 7 days game time.

"--Good players are not necessarily good instructors, so this is absolutely not a criticism... just a perspective from a not-so-good-player. I know plenty of people in my personal life who are very good at their chosen professions, but have a difficult time teaching it."

This one I want to focus on out of the last section. What I believe is, the difference between knowledge and wisdom:
                    Knowledge: Knowing how to do something.
                    Wisdom: Knowing how to do something AND knowing how to teach it to others so they know how to do it.

Many people KNOW how to do things but the really gifted ones are able to explain and teach it. And with that thought down, big kudos to the leads Timewriter listed...he is absolutely not wrong there.

Cya in game

Comment

I would just like to reiterate that the starting weapons in each class are pretty good all arounders.

If you don't know what a good short/med/long range gun is, that's because you haven't settled in to one yet. Don't worry about it and just use the default guns, until you have had a chance to play with some of the other guns in VR.
                      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

-Oh of course I agree with that 100% mostly all weapons are useful at all ranges (Sub for non infil weapons for long range) it was simply to give a good overview of what weapons do what and to give an idea of what categories they fit into.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X