Back Cap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [VIDEO] Back Cap

I would just like to point out how effective a few engineers with medics can be. I often think we over crowed our buildings while in defense. This makes us more vulnerable to grenades keeps are a fire lanes from covering a larger area. Just something to consider.

"When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Re: Back Cap

The main reason that this still works at this size is that the forces incoming are proportional; a full squad coming back to resecure probably would have wiped them if they were at all organized. Still, that's something you can manage if you've got tight control of a base's population, maybe reinforcements in the wings to escalate things once the enemy responds. Especially risky to try caps like this in a backcapping scenario, where the redeployment system isn't even the real threat; any number of the enemies in the next base could come back down to resecure. That said, sending four people back to disrupt a major battle is cheap, and if the enemy overreacts to the back cap that is in effect another victory condition, as they'll be out of position and several minutes delayed.

We probably need more engineers and medics, proportionally, in our point holds. We're usually HA heavy because that's a solid way to run general infantry, but a point hold is a different beast and engineers with AI turrets and deployable ordinance are ENORMOUSLY powerful, and the call for medics to keep everyone up is higher than normal (close contact, lots of incidental casualties from grenades), while HAs don't bring the same kind of firepower and durability in a static position (they're more powerful than other classes, but engineers have the advantage here). Their primary contribution is dumbfire rocket launchers for dropping MAXs quickly, of which we don't need a whole lot of.

Interesting how 2 engineers and 2 medics makes for a very effective SMALL team, really boils it down to fundamentals.

Also, they've got some awesome callouts. Prompt contact reports with numbers for the different floors, prompt callouts of downed friendlies or resecured entrances, medics calling out as they float between doors. They work like a well-oiled machine.

Comment

Problem with fewer heavies is they provide anti-max and armor capacity. A squad with more medic and engineers is vulnerable to enemy maxes and you lose capacity to engage suppressing armor or quick rush close enemy sunderers.

For pure infantry actions without enemy maxes Or possible need to engage vehicles, I agree eng and medic combo is very strong.
      The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Even with MAXs involved it's a pretty strong setup; the AI turrets are dangerous and tanky enough that rushing them with a MAX is a pretty dangerous endeavour, and both engineers and medics can have C4 available. If you recall from our breach testing, AI turrets did a very good job of tearing down MAXs.

If I had a full squad I'd still want a heavy or two just for the extra anti-MAX capability, but as the holding force gets smaller heavies start becoming a bit of a luxury.

Comment

Do you guys think that having overlapping lanes of fire can be over done? I think that while three people would do well to overlap lanes of fire, more than that is a waste. Than you add in turrets and you have even more firepower fixed in one spot.

We have often seen a whole squad in this kind of point building. But wouldn't 6 people with two turrets be more effective? This would allow half a squad to set up fire lanes that the enemy isn't expecting.

Two snipers set up to have straight lines of sight to the North and West sides of this building for example. This would keep them back from the fight while still letting them kill people who try to attack.

With four more people left to make lanes of fire that engage the enemy after they have left the spawn room and before they get to the building. If they enemy numbers grow exponentially, than they can fall back. Leaving ten people in the building and two sipers to kill attacking forces.

I understand the problem is good cover and some bases just don't allow sniper overwatch. But TG is trained for engaging the enemy and falling back. Or at least we should be better at that then most.

Again just an idea and not tested at all.
          "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

The problem is that requires spreading out, which makes our medic coverage really slim. Resistance to attrition is probably our biggest advantage in a point hold scenario, without which we're just going to be worn down even by inferior forces in the absence of spawn logistics (and even with them, the distance for reinforcements is a substantial issue).

I'd be much more comfortable setting up something like an exterior overwatch with a second squad. Dumping additional squads into a building gets cramped and vulnerable to grenade fire fast, and we should do it less unless we're forced to dump numbers in to make the line hold, but splitting a squad in a close combat scenario (which is very high attrition) is not something I'm keen on.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X