Let's get this over quickly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's get this over quickly

I understand that this is not Eve online and as such we the player have morals. But I'm just wondering what TG think of spying on enemy factions by using a character on the enemy side of the battle. It is real world strategy… I feel that spying on one group is okay, but something like trying to mess up that group by working your way into their command or messing up people's feelings towards that group is wrong. Even though it is a huge strategy used today. But I just need to have some clarification on what TG says we are allowed to do.

Edit:Maybe, I should state that I'm working on a framework of strategy and that I need to know what is/isn't allowed as I will be dealing with strategys about Intimidation and Subversion.
    Last edited by MatthewDaManiac; 03-13-2015, 12:27 AM.
    "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Re: Let's get this over quickly

i feel like it will take the fun away from the game tbh

Comment

Agreed, with at least the subversion part. As to spying, people in the real world can't just teleport across the sence of the battle to fight somewhere else. Which means if our goals was to intimidate or kill a certain enemy group, it would be much harder than in real life as once we found them, they could just teleport somewhere else. I'm not suggesting we have someone in their outfit feeding us info, but just someone on the enemy team jumping around the map looking for said target. It world be hard and shouldn't take that much fun out of it.

But I understand why this would be looked on as "bad".
      "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

From a pragmatic standpoint I'd honestly rather engage in traditional reconaissance. Knowing what a specific group is up to is only any help if you're trying to target that group specifically, but in a strategic sense a single group is unlikely to be decisive or even relevant. Between the number of people running around unaffiliated, the closed squads, and the outfit ops, it's unlikely that you'd really be able to gain all that much intelligence in a strategic sense.

You might be able to get something profitable out of having someone on the enemy side of a fight calling out Sunderers, vehicles, infantry, etc, but that feels underhanded and against the spirit of both the game and TG.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
          You might be able to get something profitable out of having someone on the enemy side of a fight calling out Sunderers, vehicles, infantry, etc, but that feels underhanded and against the spirit of both the game and TG.
          Agreed. And unfortunately, I think this is the main problem with the wonderful idea you had about deploying Sunderes along a lattice lane to attack the next base. Is that this would happen.

As far as strategic advantages of attacking one group is very small compared to the overall size of the battle. But than again, so are we. And what I'm suggesting has more to do with psychology warfare. Plus giving us the edge by being able to fight a particular group over a over and learn their style and specific reactions. Knowledge is greatly underestimated in this game. And half of the strategys out there are specific to when you know your enemy. Not to mention it give us a challenge/different objective than just capping bases.

As "traditional" scouting goes, it would work IF they couldn't just redeploy somewhere else. This isn't a mil-sim and using the "traditional" scouting just won't work the same as in say Arma or Eve. And Spying has been a Traditional way of gathering information all the way back to when "The Art Of War" was in the making. This is not new at all.

Comment

Morale apart, there's only one slight difference between traditionnal wargames, IRL, or EvE; a PS2 spy takes no risk. Just a random, anonymous name, that may delete his character if he ever gets spotted. No death sentence, no items loss, no bad reputation, no time spent working his way to get information.
            Psychological warfare is not relevent either, since the only defense against spies would be to team kill them. It doesn't make any sense.

That's just unfair, and given there's no real metagame in PS2 - and thus, no gain apart from your K/D, I think it's just not worth considering it.

Ba-dum-tss
            My life before TG http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Cairbre
            Who cares about stats ? http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Cairbr

Comment

Excellent Point. I think this mostly answers my question.

As far as the psychological warfare goes, I was just referring to the the feeling created when one group is engaged by the same enemy over and over for say a time period of about a month. Not about the fact that spy's can't be killed.

P.S.
              [MENTION=71652]Cairbre[/MENTION], glad to see you more active on the forums. Hope this isn't a one stop go and that you hang around more. It's always nice to hear from are friendly neighborhood crazy Galaxy pilot/experts at almost anything. ;)

Comment

When I was playing Counter strike (and many other two sided games including Natural selection) with TG, having another player on the opposing team feeding Intel, would get you BOTH banned and kicked from the server

It used to be called "ghosting'' and was considered an exploit of the games mechanics, the Idea is still the same even if the game has changed

....rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine, regardless of the level of advantage, if any, it gives over the opposing team....

....We all want to win when we play, but the focus at Tactical Gamer should be one of winning with some sort of dignity, honor, and skill, not because you were able to out-exploit the other team....
                http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...er-primer.html

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Good to have a official say on what they count as ghosting. Glad to have this out of the way and will continue on my work on strategy.

Comment

Ghosting is cheap and against our rules. This should never be considered.

Never Beat Ninja Gaiden

Comment

Originally posted by vts View Post
                      When I was playing Counter strike (and many other two sided games including Natural selection) with TG, having another player on the opposing team feeding Intel, would get you BOTH banned and kicked from the server

It used to be called "ghosting'' and was considered an exploit of the games mechanics, the Idea is still the same even if the game has changed

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...er-primer.html
                      What VTS Said. Ghosting is bad m'kay! We'll stick with traditional recon for our intel.

Comment

That's what I thought but I didn't know if there was anything official against it. Thanks you guys for the quick answers.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X