Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connery Versus Emerald Server Smash (scheduled on April 11)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connery Versus Emerald Server Smash (scheduled on April 11)

The people over at Planetside Battles have apparently organized a server smash that is between the Connery and Emerald server outfits on April 11. This brings me to two questions:
    1) Are we planning to/going to participate in this server smash?
    2) How does this event work (the basics)?

Re: Connery Versus Emerald Server Smash (scheduled on April 11)

server smash teams have already been made, Ive tried to get TG involved without sacrificing who we are and how we play. For example playing redeployside and passing squad lead just to have some squad bacon up is very common during SS. I have asked them (them being the emerald outfits and representatives) if we could run armor for them. The thing about SS is that the pace of the match is really really fast so armor would be useless. The only way we could be apart of it is if we ran an air squad but seeing that we are limited on ace pilots there is a slim chance of this happening.

I am trying to see what we can do in order to be apart of SS.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostshooter101 View Post
      server smash teams have already been made, Ive tried to get TG involved without sacrificing who we are and how we play. For example playing redeployside and passing squad lead just to have some squad bacon up is very common during SS. I have asked them (them being the emerald outfits and representatives) if we could run armor for them. The thing about SS is that the pace of the match is really really fast so armor would be useless. The only way we could be apart of it is if we ran an air squad but seeing that we are limited on ace pilots there is a slim chance of this happening.

I am trying to see what we can do in order to be apart of SS.
      Well I can't see why we can't run as armour. Granted, we can't run heavy armor due to the lack of speed. However, we can run fast armor (Lightnings, Harassers, Sunderers with racer chasis). Doing so, we can be effective.

Comment

How serious is 'Redeployside' when you have over 300 people on each team working towards one goal? I'm kinda stunned that Armor is obsolete under those circumstances.

Comment

because air is faster, cheaper, can be pulled in more numbers and is easy to escape the battle. Every time i bring this up i get shut down and outvoted before i even get the chance to refresh the page

Comment

Originally posted by ghostshooter101 View Post
            because air is faster, cheaper, can be pulled in more numbers and is easy to escape the battle. Every time i bring this up i get shut down and outvoted before i even get the chance to refresh the page
            hmm... Usually HYUN runs air... Maybe we can get an air division in our outfit or have a training day for air combat

Comment

If Air is so good, what are they countering it with? Other air? Because if that is the case they are doing it wrong. We all know that Ground to Air is more powerful than Air to Air. Why can't a AA squad be a part of the mix? Calling out targets and covering airspace with AA?
              "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewDaManiac View Post
                If Air is so good, what are they countering it with? Other air? Because if that is the case they are doing it wrong. We all know that Ground to Air is more powerful than Air to Air. Why can't a AA squad be a part of the mix? Calling out targets and covering airspace with AA?
                Yea maybe we can run mobile AA. 1 repair sundy + 1 ammo sundy + Skyguards

Comment

I've tried to get us into SS in the past before, but as Ghost points out things like swapping the squad lead to get fresh beacons is considered a baseline required strategy, which is just not something we can do and stay in line with the Primer. I got quite an earful from them on the subject, but at the end of the day I had to withdraw us. Doing the redeployside thing is also a problem, but that's really less of an outright primer violation and more of a "we just don't like to play this way".

As for pacing, and why armour doesn't work (and why, for example, an AA/Air combo is unlikely)? As I understand it the speed of the strategies required in SS are absolutely bonkers. Squads send people around in ESFs to drop a beacon and teleport squads around the map; the strategy is built around controlling the base timers and keeping the other side of the lane ticking down to maintain control of the lane and keep the enemy on the defensive. Server Smash is Redeployside on steroids, at an absolute fever pitch. Sunderers are barely part of the strategy, getting destroyed almost immediately, instead spawns are mostly beacons, hard spawns, and insane rez grenade spam. The air game is vicious, with massive swarms of aircraft descending to rain hell on a base and overall success largely being determined by which faction can maintain and use air superiority to their advantage. When armour is used, it's opportunistic and heavily massed.

Under those conditions the slow, methodical, carefully employed TG armour squad is understandably considered a liability. It needs to be driven around the map instead of just pulled at the base in question and discarded, and loitering with them is both unhelpful (neither side is relying on Sunderers in a meaningful fashion, and the fights often hinge on brutal infantry slugmatches outside of the tank's domain) and the use of heavily massed air power means that a dedicated tank column will often just disappear under a cloud of Liberators and ESFs.

Our armour strategies are SLOW, and it's less to do with the speed of our vehicles than the overall approach we take; a TG armour squad protects its assets, carefully manages positioning and line of sight, and wins through carefully executed tactics and cohesive units. It can take a minute or more to get into position to engage the enemy even when they're already in the base's AO, and in a Server Smash environment that might be the opportunity to engage gone entirely. Unlike on live, securing the outside of a base isn't important, and a lag of several minutes to get to a base is strategically unacceptable when everyone else is teleporting to their targets within 20s.

For the same reason, mobile AA isn't any more likely to have traction. If an SS commander wants local AA coverage, they'll just have local forces pull it as the situation demands it, because anything else is a waste of time; a mobile AA contingent is just going to be spending time trying to chase a ball of aircraft far, far faster than them that has no reason to want to engage them, and they'll be bouncing around the map like nuts hitting targets of opportunity. The most likely outcome of running dedicated AA is either being dead weight at a single fight while their air hits every other target, or attempting to actively hunt down the enemy air blob and being perpetually out of position.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                    If an SS commander wants local AA coverage, they'll just have local forces pull it as the situation demands it, because anything else is a waste of time; a mobile AA contingent is just going to be spending time trying to chase a ball of aircraft far, far faster than them that has no reason to want to engage them, and they'll be bouncing around the map like nuts hitting targets of opportunity.
                    And this is fundamentally why the game is broken from our perspective. It lacks any kind of serious penalty for dying and loosing assets. With everything being easy to pull and from almost everywhere as opposed to only at the Warp-gate, they have ruined what most of us loved about PS1 While still being able to claim having the "biggest battles" in the FPS Game world.

If there was a need for logistics to power bases or limits on where things can be pulled from, than you see the struggle on a epic scale. But as it is, when the game is played for Effectiveness things get crazy with using cheap game gimmicks instead of planing and strategy/tactics to pull out victory's.
                    "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

The scale of the redeploy side CusterFuBar would appear to be dramatically reduced if they figured out how to better employ the squad beacon. Its ironic, to an extent, that they remove the "Deploy Here" function of Instant Deploy to avoid large scale exploitation that almost always was impossible to beat, that they removed the "Deploy on SL" Instant Deploy function (which I loved to exploit on the PL scale, it is beautiful to see ~40 Drop pods coming down in coordination), but that they've kept the not-working-as-designed Squad Beacon-Baton Pass meta in its current state. That meta has been around since about 2012, what with GOKU ESFs prempting bases with near impunity.

Its a hard tight-rope act to be sure; balancing out individual or small scale rapid deploy to keep the base player in the fight against the power at hand that coordinated exploitation brings larger groups. Coordination should be immensely powerful, yes, but the kind of meta that these mechanics bring about is no different than what the TR's was infamous for doing back in 2012-13. What is the point of all the mechanics if the basic meta, zerging-redeploy, avoids all of them?

Frankly, they need to re-envision the whole drop-pod mechanic.

Comment

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Starstriker again."

Excellent summary of the issues at hand re: Server Smash, particularly wrt TG's participation in it.
                        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X