FnF was awesome!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FnF was awesome!

So Friday Night Fights was absolutely mega tonight, the most fun I've had in Planetside 2 yet. TG did serious work! Hats off go to the Squad and PL leads, namely Zombiesnack, DaddyOfThree, Starstriker and MathewTheManiac, and everyone else who made it so very awesome.

The only problem is, and I am so damn saddened by this, is that my battle recording somehow became instantly corrupted. Thus I have no awesome footage to share.

Highlight for me has to be the up-against-the-wall point hold at Eisa Southern Camp, which netted us the base and was somewhat of a turning point in the local area; gaining us the momentum to push on and capture Watersons Redemption.

That was wicked fun.
    To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Re: FnF was awesome!

It was indeed a ton of fun! A big thanks to everyone in my squad that made the tight maneuvers and stubborn holds possible!

Eisa Southern was a highlight for me as well. During our second attempt on the base, my squad (Charlie) pushed hard to the south of the base until we hit a set of rocks that overlooked their spawn and the nearest building to it (which happens to be a major strongpoint/assault route for the defenders), and we held out for several minutes there as we interrupted any TR trying to run up to the building or fight us off of their spawn room.

Despite being pushed back to another line of rocks, we largely were able to hold our ground in that lane. However, Zombie (PL) had gotten his squad onto the point proper and called us over to help hold the building directly. Under fire we managed to disengage and get into the building, a standard triple building that we're very well practised in holding. However, this time around I elected to take a very different approach to defending it; since Bravo was already on the second floor doing the traditional point hold, I instead elected to station my squad on the first floor in the western room that held the stairs for the primary point room. That room contained ample cover, had one of the two doors blocked off, and wasn't on the enemy's main approach, so I wasn't worried about a MAX crash plowing through our position, but I figured we could secure one of the stairs and make it difficult for the enemy to mass on the other stairwell.

My squad surprised and delighted me with their implementation of the room hold. Two AI MANA turrets went down on our end of the first floor corridor, backed by a Spitfire auto-turret, mines were placed appropriately, and everybody was on their game watching the secondary approaches, reviving people, and what have you. The corridor between the two rooms became a kill zone, and the enemies rushing into the building to hit the other set of stairs had to brave a gauntlet of fire. Zombie reported that we successfully took the pressure off them and from our own perspective we seemed to have a pretty effective lock on our own room with confused and vulnerable TR on the business end of our turrets... not to mention that Bravo didn't even need to think about one of the stairwells!

In the last 15s of the cap the TR rushed past our killzone with a MAX crash (or did they bypass us by hitting the balcony? Didn't seem like too many were running past us) and managed to flip the point back, at which point I ordered my squad to abandon the first floor position and rush the point. With a full squad of fresh troops we managed to flip it back, and held on by a thread for the last quarter minute... but we took it, and the TG tag hung over a base with 96+ on both sides!

It's an approach to a triple defense I'd definitely consider again if we had more than one squad involved. Two squads crammed into the upper floor are nade bait, and the enemy is free to muster and breach from the bottom floor uninterrupted. Putting one squad to hold the quieter of the two rooms mitigates both issues; it might not be possible in all instances of the building (our position with regard to the primary attack route, the blocked off doorway, and the abundance of sightline blocking cover went a long way to making it viable) but it's something to keep in mind!

Comment

Another reason those mana turrets worked so well, is they were placed in the center of the bottom floor, out of the reach of the enemy. Excellent placement. Great write-ups.

Comment

The first floor western room hold was particularly effective in stopping the Max crash attempts because it provided limited defense in depth along the enemy's primary assault route. Whereas normally, with a traditional point hold there would only be one stairway between the defenders around the point and the massing enemy forces downstairs, allowing the Max units to get right into the point room with the use of the charge ability, now there was a well dug in squad between the point room itself and the enemy forces. This meant that enemy forces had to mass outside of the building for the assault, and couldn't charge straight into the point room as a result.

This is definitely something we must implement again in the future, it allowed us to hold our ground against overwhelming numbers.

The use of AI turrets was a big help too, and I'm a big advocate for their use in point holds. The only weaknesses of the AI manas as I see them, is the vulnerability of the user to grenades and snipers, as the user has to remain stationary to use them. The first danger can be greatly mitigated with the use of Flak Armour, which I highly recommend for CQB engineers, and the latter you need not to worry as snipers are useless in a CQB environment. I would also add that you should try to place the turrets so that your back is not up against a wall where possible, as rockets fired at the wall behind you would detonate very close to you and quickly kill you. Another tip, is when the turret has overheated and is cooling down, a period during which you cannot fire, do not look directly at the source of enemy fire, as in doing so you expose your head through the small gap in the shield. Instead, you should aim off slightly to the side so that the a part of the shield will be between your exposed head and the source of enemy fire. As the shield is quite wide, you will not expose the side of your body in aiming slightly off to one side. Jigging your aim from one side to the other also helps to make lining up a shot on any exposed parts of you more difficult.

Comment

A couple of tidbits from an Alpha squad harasser. Busy busy. It seemed quiet at first but when the attack on the Octagon started, the TR upped their game. I found my harasser was overwhelmed by the amount of air and harassers that got thrown at it. The elite harasser squad ENUC I believe its called was low manned last night but still formidable. However the Kink in their armor is the same as everyone elses, they cant seem to resist a free lunch in the form of a wimpy little walker harasser even if it is luring them to their deaths in the form of a squad of TG cannons. Heh. They did get wise on one pull though. I also found that as awesome as my walker harasser is, dueling 4 mossies at once is not within its capable limits. Yet...

Another thing I noticed however on a more serious note is that Comms got absolutely out of control many times and I don't think it was necessary. We all need to work on being less wordy. Short quick too the point. We had a lot of people addressing between squads without notice, they would hop on and start spouting their piece. Our comms standards were designed to address this specifically to ensure those it was meant to reach got the message. I know at times some of this is unavoidable but we all still need to keep Comms discipline on the forefront of our minds.

Otherwise last night was Epic.

Comment

While I held Delta lead, TheFatz was playing more of a SL position with me as a FTL. He would often take us where he though we needed to while I would take care of what happened after we hit the ground. With only 6 people in our squad on average, we never really could use our more normal approaches to attacking bases. And with me not being a Corporal, I could not get invite more people to the squad. It would have been nice if the SLs who where Corporal or higher would have shared one or two TG guys as they Can have people other than just TG in their squad. And there was at least one time where two squads where Full TG with both of their SL being Officers. With that aside, I had an amazing time and want to thank everyone that contributed to making the Platoon. The Leadership was solid and the teamwork of the squads was amazing. The highlight for me was right after we took Waterson's Redemption.

Delta formed under the commaned of TheFatz about 15 minutes before Waterson's Redemption was taken. Fatz pulled a Valkyrie and we deployed on the hill East of Waterson's Redemption with AV. With Fatz piloting, he gave me FTL and control of targeting while on the ground. We killed several spawns and vehicles but found that most of the Armor moved/was killed and where now out of our range. We tried to move around to the west hill only to be wiped and called in to help take Waterson's. At this point TheFatz gave me SL and was our dedicated Pilot and Driver. After we help hold Waterson's we moved out with a Sunderer back around to the east hill and started killing air. We killed about 8 ESFs and sereral Libs while being attacked by both air and ground. The [ECUS] Harasser squad was out and about. But we had carfaley depolyed mines and had a AV Max which ended up with us killing 4 of their five Harassers. One Harasser got away while we finished clearing up the air. We pulled out when I saw the [ECUS] squad driving our way up the frozen river. We got caught about 300m to the North East of Waterson's with low health but where able to kill at least 3 Harassers before they wiped us. It was a good run with the Six of us killing Ten of them plus air and only dying after they redeployed and chased us into a friendly hex ending up with us killing most of them and than Alpha finishing the rest.

After that, I tried doing air and did okay with a few other adventures happening before and after that time. I eventually gave SL to Saox. Both TheFatz and Saox, did a exelent job SLing. I know I'm rough around the edges when I lead and want to thank everyone that stuck it out with me. I am trying to get better at SLing and hope that I can bring Tactical Fun to the Squad.

Amazing time guys. Thanks to those who put it together.
            "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

For the time that I was in your air wing Matt you seemed to have things pretty squared away, we were operating very effectively as a result!

Whats becoming more and more noticeable as time goes on, is the amount of people that we get into platoon is getting larger and larger as more people join TG. Soon enough we'll have so many that we'll have to have a second platoon running!

Comment

Imagine that, drop 96 TG on to a base. Oh the carnage that will ensue...

Comment

imagine the pings the sky guard drivers would get when they shot down our eight loaded gals en route.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

ping ping....

still going :P

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

I knew Friday was going to be a good TG day when earlier in the day, myself, Draconaz and I think Selecting were all fighting at the same Esamir base in a 24-48 fight. We were not even in a squad, but just happened to be in the same area, and when the grind was over, TG stood on the flag. From 3 of us, working independently. I did brag a little on Yell chat.

I was PL for the night and Bravo lead, and we had tasked Alpha (under DOT) as armour, myself and Charlie (under Starstriker) as infantry, and we had a half strength Delta squad (under TheFatz and MatthewtheManiac) working as air, spotting, and backup ground support. Not being very good at the large scale PL role, Alpha and Delta operated quite a lot on their own, with me giving target area info only and calling out targets of opportunity, as well as calling Delta in for reinforcing when necessary.

The fighting at Eisa Southern was some of the most intense tooth and nail fighting I've been a part of, and it was quickly followed by a successful attack of Waterson's redemption.

I really liked Star's call to hold the ground floor and remove one stairway from the threat. This enabled Bravo to hold the upper floor effectively, even though the second floor balcony was accessible by regular enemy foot traffic. It was really desperate fighting for the entire time, and the engineers and medics were outstanding in keeping everyone healthy and fighting. I did note that we moved around a lot more than usual, rather than staying static on the point.

Waterson's was another fun one, and required multiple attempts to finally be able to open it up to freindlies. Huge congratulations to the entire platoon for staying on task, being able to change targets and kits rapidly, and displaying remarkable tenacity. really really excellent times. Thanks to every member of Bravo that I got to work with, all of the platoon members, and DOT, Star, TheFatz and Matthew for stepping up to SL. Also thanks to Plasdarn for stepping into the PL role when I took a break, and then later when I was too spent to continue doing it.
                      Communications, Cohesion, Confidence.

Comment

As far as dropping TG members to non-corporal squads, I think it's a good idea generally but can be dicey. As the night went on, my 10 TG squad turned into a 6 TG squad, then 3, and (perhaps due to not being trigger happy enough on the kick) the squad quickly became unruly and difficult to manage.

@ Zombie:

I didn't realize that the balcony was directly accessible to foot traffic; that explains how you guys were overrun even though not too much contact was received moving towards your stairwell. The positioning was still well-worth it, but that extra primary attack route in the secondary is a real threat on that base, even if you only need to cover two directions!

Comment

Just wanted to reiterate Vlad's point re: comms discipline, as well as give a historical perspective.

The comms discipline we (mostly) enjoy today was hard won, and we must remain constantly vigilant.

If you go back and read some very early AARs and threads, comms were a mess at PS2 at TG (believe it or not). E-Male and the NCO/Officer group worked very hard to draft and fine tune a comms SOP, and we have worked hard to drill it into everyone.

But as new members continue to join, we must in turn also teach them good comms discipline. And even the veterans among us can get loose and slip into bad habits. Again, constant vigilance is the price we must pay for freedom, er, comms discipline, or something... :p

EDIT: Also, perhaps this should be moved to AAR area?
                          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X