Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAXes begone! anti materiel rifle

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...-rifle.226230/

According to the forum post it is a bolt action sniper rifle that is planned primary for engineer that is weak against infantry (2HS kill) and heavy armor but excels at removing MAXes (2-3 HS kill)

Re: MAXes begone! anti materiel rifle

I approve. I approve so much. I'm confused as to why its primarily an Engineer weapon though, I figured it'd be a Infil/LA weapon first.

Comment

I'm more confused about how this is supposed to help. I guess they are doing it to balance Max crashes, but how on earth does it help with that. Most of Max crashes happen indoors. And while it would only take two engineers to kill one Max with a coordinated shot, I fail to see how this helps with the normal 15+ Maxs that come along with a Max crash. The other thing is that it is a long range rifle. The only reason I see them doing this is because either 1 Maxs win more fights with infi at long range (Which they don't, or not the NC ones at least) or 2 Because they don't want a close range Max killer because that would make NC Maxs useless.

And when the Heck or Maxs OP? They have to be pulled and cost as much as a MBT. And they cant have the ****** C4. So why are they getting a nerf? Like why don't they balance tank vs air by making the turret able to look up more? Right now I almost cant play the game because of the balance of air. But I guess we should be glad that they are thinking out of the box... Or thinking backwards Or that they are thinking some way. I don't know. I guess I'm over reacting to them doing anything other than balancing the thing that is killing the game for me.
      "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

Not sure how I feel about it being on the engineer kit. I mean, it's not going to too badly overlap with the infil (lack of cloak is a real hazard for sniping) and the infil might be TOO dangerous with a weapon that can ding tanks, but it's an odd choice.

I REALLY like it as a possible infantry counter to light vehicles, though. This might give us some much needed options for fighting back against Harassers and Flashes making mincemeat of infantry squads on the open ground. Might also be neat for shutting down MAX nests.

In a close range fight, it's not going to drop a MAX on its own, unless they give it a frankly ridiculous rate of fire (I expect it'll be a SLOW bolt action). However, as a support tool to force MAXes into retreat or suppliment friendly fire in a way that their carbines largely can't, it might be helpful even indoors. Just don't miss those headshots.

Comment

That would indeed be useful as a counter to AA and AV MAXes at medium-long range. For indoor MAX crashes, we'll soon have the AT mines detonating on them.

Matthew, think about the 2 main things killing the action right now (outside air balance and bugs !): MAX abuse, and redeployside. AT mines/anti material rifle are a step towards the first, and the Sunderer Deployement Inhibitor module is a step towards the second. Those are just tools to help the balance, and I think that's a far better idea than tweaking values here and there.

I can't imagine Alex's medic, fitted with that rifle, explosive darts on the X-bow, and C4...

Ba-dum-tss
          My life before TG http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Cairbre
          Who cares about stats ? http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Cairbr

Comment

Interesting. That means I can heal friendly maxes and/or kill enemy maxes. :) Should be fun!
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

All I know is that I love me some AM rifles ever since the Forgotten Hope realism mod on BF1942.

This rifle will probably be very easily used in Close Quarters. It can't possibly be a Max counter without some serious use against infantry. I imagine it'll be like any Infiltrator Bolt Action with much more limited ammo (possibly only having one shot per 'magazine') and possibly a longer reload or action period. To prevent it from being a sniper rifle it'll have a very slow moving projectile with massive drop. Its effective range will probably be the healthy medium range and give MAX units something to fear when out in the open.

Comment

I hope it is specialized for its role to prevent over use as a generalist weapon. Basically I want it to do its job (killing maxes) at the cost of being much much less effective at anti-infantry. Thus a player must choose a role (anti-max or anti infantry) and play it. What I hope it is not a general sniper rifle / 1 shot 1 kill infantry weapon / anti-max. I dislike any weapon that rewards individual players for playing as if they are superman or even thinking they can take on anything that comes. I like weapons that require integration in the larger squad kit mix.

But, I will probably drop a thousand certs on it when it comes out, to add that capacity to any squad I play in.
                The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

If it's two headshots for a kill, that's going to largely kill it as a particularily effective anti-infantry weapon, assuming it paces its shots like the bolt action sniper rifles.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X