A note to SLs and PLs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A note to SLs and PLs

Let me first say, I'm very biased about how I see Armor running and I have come to love one particular way of doing which I call the "TG" way because it was the way TG ran for a long time. With that out of the way, :) lets start the discussion.

Recently I have seen some patterns in TG concerning armor that I find disturbing. As normal rule I like TG squads to be orientated around a specific role or task. As I find squads that try to do everything, will do little to help anything. And with Armor this is a bigger deal as you (A SM or SL in an Armor Squad) Need to know what to pull to get that task done. And recently, I have seen Armor that is kitted AV being used like a AI Armor squad. Or a Armor squad used As infantry by PL and SLs alike. While I'm for new things, this in my mind is crossing a line.

Now when it comes to AV Armor used as AI Armor, this is an example. We where fighting on Esamir and the infantry squad was attacking a base. We, the AV Armor squad was tasked with making sure the enemy didn't push Armor through to the base. On our side, there was a normal amount of blueberrie Armor attacking the base in question. So I went to lead my guys around the back side of the enemy base where they would pull Armor. As we moved off, we where asked or rather ordered to hold the plain next to the base and to move back. As a SL, I thought I knew better than PL but didn't argue. As we moved back to where he wanted us, it became clear that all enemy armor was hiding behind the next base as blueberries would kill it if it came close. And than we got engaged by infantry which is the normal and expected response by the enemy when that can't move up their armor. So then we where fighting infantry in a AV armor group. Not good or helpful as I know we could have been way more effective. Not to mention that it got several of us killed and cost us time to re-pull as we didn't own a techplant.

Another example would be when we where on Indar and we where asked to hold the B point on the Impacted Sight. Now for those of you who don't know, that is a bridge. Now what I would have done is have us flank around and set up our Armor on the mountain that overlooked the end of the bridge that the enemy would have to use to get across. But instead PL called for us to hold B and move all our Armor onto the bridge. Long story short, things where too cramped, and there was no easy way to disengage so we got picked off and lost almost all of the squad and the point.

And these are just a few of the many things that I'm starting to see and it worries me.

Now I normally only run Armor with AV in mind as this is the "Way" I know to run armor. But I'm fine with starting to go to a more Anti infantry Armor set up if PL needs me to. But for that to happen, I need to have specific orders telling me that. Also people Need to understand that TG IS KNOW FOR IS AV ARMOR. I blame Ghost but the fact still stands, that if the enemy see's us in Armor, we will be the prime target. (Because primaired is not a "Word") As such, we need to make sure, we are not fooling around when playing as Armor otherwise you are asking to get killed. I'm not saying that new SL should not try their hand but that they need to take is seriously.

Also, while flanking is okay with infantry, it really doesn't do anything but give you the advantage of positioning and surprise. While in Armor not only does it give you those things it actually increases your damage output as armor is directional in is damage resistance. People need to understand this as it is a big thing and the main reason I try never to be static while in armor.
    "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Re: A note to SLs and PLs

While running armour or AV/AA, I try to have Waker/Kolbalt (Anti Air / Infantry) on the ammo sunder(s)to deal with an influx non armour units.
    [MENTION=91703]MatthewDaManiac[/MENTION] you need to jump on a bit earlier to catch some of my squads, always ready to run 2 small armour squads under different TG leads :)

I guess it depends on who is PL at the time, some PLs will micro manage each squad to fit in to the larger picture. Some time it is easy for the PL to over look details as they spend most of their time in COMMAND/MAP/PMs and sometime only have ratios to work with and not actual enemy asset details. This information is split between each squad channel and any other channels active, leaving a lot of details, stale and unusable.

You may find that when you are PL, things do not run as smoothly as when you are sole SL

If you have issues how the PL ran the platoon, jump on TS and request an audience with them.

Request an AAR meeting in squad

Start an AAR on the forums talking about the last session, how it was ran, offering ways to mediate solution in the future.

But remember the chain of command
    PL -> SL -> FL -> SM

I am sure once the 'action' is over most PLs will be happy to talk about what was done,

I suggest any SL/PL jumps into the Team speak channel even if nothing is said, as once there, you can move to a channel to discuss you options away from the squad.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

There is also some give and take between SLs and PL. Yes we have CoC, but very often the PL will defer to the SLs who may have a better understanding of the actual situation on the ground in their local area. Not always, but often. It depends on the PL.

Offer a suggestion, give a SITREP, or request permission to do x or y. Often times the PL will say yes. If not, you must follow CoC and assume they may have some information that maybe you don't.

Or, maybe they are just a bad PL, or they are doing something wrong. lol We are pretty spoiled here with good leadership almost all of the time, so that doesn't happen often. But let people learn, make mistakes, whatever, and just remember at the end of the day it's a game.

Alternatively, if you don't like the way someone is doing something, offer to step up and PL yourself. I don't mean on the spot when you have a disagreement, lol, but prior to that or maybe a little later. Or send the PL a tell with your disagreement if you feel there is an issue, or they are repeatedly refusing your suggestions. Best not to air that kind of stuff over the whole platoon net for all to hear.
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Your best course of action is to recommend a course of action to your PL or SL if you see a missed opportunity or overlooked tactical issue. There are no TG SOPs regarding outfitting of armour or use of armour (nor should there be) as these are matters best left to SLs and PLs in the field.

Keep in mind that a good PL expects his SLs to provide tactical advice and Sit Reps, so manage upwards -- lead your leaders.
        Last edited by E-Male; 05-27-2015, 12:00 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

I wish there was more of that, TBH! As a PL, I only have the pulse of the battle on a strategic or operational level; at the very best, I've got tactical-level awareness of the flow of battle for ONE of my squads if I'm attached to them and keeping pace (and in that case I'm probably not as in tune with the broad scale stuff). I rely on my SLs to let me know when and where the tide is turning, and I'd love to have more of their intuition available for my decision making process.

As an SL, I have my finger on the pulse of the engagement I'm in. I have a sense of whether or not I can move, how much pressure I'm under, how effective I'm being, and what the risk of a breakthrough--on either side--is. This is enormously valuable information; include it when you make a sitrep to your PL!

Comment

And PLs, get in the habit of asking for "rotating Sit Reps" -- every five minutes or so query another squad for a Sit Rep whether you need it or not -- keeps SLs on their toes and lets the platoon know that you are processing incoming info from a variety of sources.
            sigpic

Comment

Armor is an autonomous beast. Pinning it in one place is taking away its biggest advantage (mobility) and exposing it to infantry and air attack once its position is known.

Especially if your PL is entrenched with infantry attacking a base, your armor SL will also often have a better grasp of the overall situation due to his position and mobility. He'll be able to identify and react to new threats before the PL can identify them, if given the chance.

An infantry PL with an armor asset (IMO) needs to 1) Trust his armor SL and 2) Give him the freedom he needs to best utilize his asset. My biggest pet peeve which occasionally came up in TG platoons was armor squads being micromanaged in static positions. A tank that can't use its mobility to protect itself and to hunt targets is no tank at all.
              Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Agreed. Armour (and air, for that matter) thrives with a fair amount of autonomy. Rather than micromanaging positions PLs should be giving armour broad directives and operating parameters, and allow the armour to freely maneuver within them.

Comment

Agree with everything posted re: armor/air autonomy.

I just wanted to throw in my $0.02 on SITREPs. Don't tell the PL what he can see on the map (i.e., "we are fighting 12-24"). I mean, unless maybe suddenly you went from fighting a squad to fighting 2 platoons. But mostly what the PL is really asking is "what's going on on the ground that we can't tell from the map?" I.e., a lot of the things mentioned above: how is the battle going, are you being effective, do you see any missed opportunities or have an idea for a better plan, etc...
                  "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                    Agree with everything posted re: armor/air autonomy.

I just wanted to throw in my $0.02 on SITREPs. Don't tell the PL what he can see on the map (i.e., "we are fighting 12-24"). I mean, unless maybe suddenly you went from fighting a squad to fighting 2 platoons. But mostly what the PL is really asking is "what's going on on the ground that we can't tell from the map?" I.e., a lot of the things mentioned above: how is the battle going, are you being effective, do you see any missed opportunities or have an idea for a better plan, etc...
                    Yes please.

Comment

Sit rep = efar.
                      http://www.tacticalgamer.com/planets...rt-sitrep.html
                      The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X