TG and serversmash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG and serversmash

Hey TG I just saw the server smash ad in the planetside 2 launcher and I'm wondering if TG does anything regarding server smash, and if so if there's any way I can participate too.

Re: TG and serversmash

I made an attempt to get us involved the past; this proved unworkable because a mandatory tactic for the smash--squad leader beacon swapping--is prohibited by our rule against using game exploits. I had to withdraw us when I realized this was the case, and caught a whole bunch of flak in the process.

If I recall, the change the developers were discussing that would put the entire squad on a shared beacon cooldown have not made it even to the PTS, which would mean we're still not able to do this. It might seem like a small thing, but undermining our integrity and values isn't worth participating in a server smash, and the organizers made it very clear last time that this wasn't a negotiable element of the Server Smash strategy.

This might be more negotiable now with the new spawn rules (nobody would be teleporting from base to base using a beacon swap, though they might still insist on it as a way of replacing beacons for spawn logistics reasons), but even if our refusal to use it is no longer something we'll take flak for, Server Smash is a pretty substantial commitment of time and effort and I'm just not interested in going through organizing it again. Another NCO would need to take point on it.

Comment

Oh yes, I remember this argument. Who organizes the smash again, SOE/Daybreak/the people who take my Pay-To-Win money? I would argue, for the sake of lively discussion, and knowing we have lawyers and scholars among us, that the application of "exploit" changes dramatically if the working model of the event mandates or recommends it. I am not, and of course would not, propose violating the primer, I am just curious if the leader/beacon swap is intended to be a teleportation device during this event, per the people who design and control the game, does it then become a game mechanic rather than an exploit? Temporarily, of course, and certainly only for said event with blessing of The Powers That Be*

--Small print--
      * Under no circumstance should the words "the" "a" or "an" be read anywhere in this post. I highly detest Articles, and wish my ramblings to be incomprehensible. The opinions voiced in this post in no way reflect anything real, imaginary, or Tralfamadorian in nature. So it goes.*
      MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Server Smash is player organized.

DBG hasn't commented one way or the other, but as a game designer myself if this is supposed to be intended behaviour then it is shamefully poorly implemented. It seems like they're implied to be against it, regardless; they wanted to put the beacon time limit on a shared timer for everyone in the squad (but haven't yet for technical/"lets see how this plays out" reasons) which would solidly nullify the behaviour.

It's also dubious as to whether "designer intent" is really a good argument against the primer.

Comment

Try this for an alternative. Play the game as you usually would and if somebody in command chat gets on your case over not using the spawn beacon exploit, tell them that you're not going to do it, end of story. If you lose territory or battles as a result then so be it.

Comment

I certainly agree that swapping out is an exploit in normal circumstances, and understand not participating. I am, in some sense, trying to understand our internal delineation of what is and is not acceptable in terms of violating the primer. Before anyone chimes in with a "Don't do it, that's final", hear me out. More than once, every single leader here has uttered the words "It's ok if you don't have a good galaxy/sunderer, for this mission it is *disposable* ". Clearly inappropriate, however broadly accepted. I've mentioned before that I think pulling an asset for the purpose of willfully destroying it is outrageous, and feel that is an SL/PL wants to use the asset, they should be prepared to allocate the manpower to defend/man it. In my opinion it's exactly the same as pulling an ESF or Harasser to act like a point to point taxi, with no intent upon protecting it as one would a real piece of hardware.
            MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

[MENTION=14767]Assault9[/MENTION]: Naturally that's the stance we would take once we're actually participating, but it would be enormously rude to not apprise our hosts of our intent to do so. They would no doubt feel that our participation in that scenario would be unhelpful, and would likely give our slot to any number of other outfits interested in the smash. Emerald already has two separate server smash teams and they STILL can't get every outfit a spot. They've got no reason to put up with our hard line if they don't want to, and there's no good reason for us to thumb our noses at them and stir up drama.
              [MENTION=56964]TonyMac[/MENTION]: I've always felt the spirit of the third point of the primer has always been closer to "don't leverage the failings of the simulation" than "do everything like a real army would". Obviously, I am not an admin and I don't get to make the call, but I feel that an exploit is a far, FAR more egregious violation of primer point #3 than treating assets frivolously. You've got an interesting point regardless.

As an attempt at answering it from my perspective, I feel that the world Planetside presents a clear expendability to vehicle resources; the vehicles are fabricated on the spot on demand, not carted in from some external supply chain, and you regain the resources to pull it every 9 minutes. I personally feel comfortable treating that as a fairly expendable resource when the extra set of boots on the ground is important.

I'd be very interested to know if there has been an admin decision on this, though! Not sure exactly how the line gets drawn.

Comment

I agree with Starstriker here. Squad Beacon swapping isn't accommodated by our primer and it causes a conflict of interest if we were to join up with the Server Smash. Now, on a meta-level, which is what I think TonyMac is getting at, the primer is a guideline that has different effects in different games.

This isn't ARMA or even close to a realism inspired game. Assets do not have value akin to their PR, BF, or ArmA counterparts, and Starstriker is correct to say that Planetside has built in expend-ability as a game feature. This can be accepted without breaking the primer. The Squad Beacon Shuffle is an explicit exploitation of the Squad Mechanics. Squads are not built to have multiple leaders that can switch around based on beacon needs but provides such an advantage that it became the crux of the Server Smash.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X