Some possible stuff in the pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some possible stuff in the pipe

Lately I've become more resigned with regards to Planetside's future and DBG's ability to deliver. Between a long history of over-promising and under-delivering, and reading Malorn and Higby's reddit comments, I'm getting the sense that DBG lacks a coherent vision for the game and that the size of the team, company, and management structure have sharply curtailed their ability to work quickly and respond quickly. This isn't an uncommon situation for big studios (scaling up is haaaaard), but there's a reason I'm an indie game developer and not in AAA development, even if the latter would mean a much more reliable paycheck. It also gives me very little reason to believe that DBG will execute on any of their larger ambitions in anything resembling a decent timescale; PS2 is an excellent game as it stands, but it's always had enormous promise and it's disheartening to think that it might not be realized.

That said; if they deliver even HALF of what's in here I'll hop back on the hype train again.

PTS Patch notes here.

Now, important caveats: just because these files are on the PTS doesn't mean we'll see them soon, or ever. As a developer was quick to point out, things go on the test server for all sorts of internal reasons (including "so that they're there later if we want them") and many things that have shown up in the PTS data dumps (like new empire specific tank weapons that were even visible in their Nexus teaser video... not to mention Nexus itself!) never made the live servers. Apparently, a lot of these are from art outsourcing quite some time ago as well (the ANT was outsourced around the same time Tramell Isaac left the team).

The ANT looks fairly ready to go as a vehicle; no telling where the broader gameplay systems and resources are (the resources in particular obviously need art and level design support). If that whole resources 2.0 thing goes live, though, I'll be very happy indeed; could add some very interesting strategic possibilities and make it easier to counteract uncoordinated zergs.

The Colossus looks much closer to being ready. That'll be a fascinating piece of kit if it goes live; four secondary tank mounts and a monstrous main gun? Fully crewed it'll be a wrecking ball and mobile fortress with enough flexibility to offer anti infantry and AA support and still have slots left over to pack a pair of halberds or enforcers. A lot would depend on how its balanced; it could be a ridiculously overpowered pile of guns, or it could be a very deliberate sort of support platform or siege breaker, or it could be a waste of half a squad and whatever resources and travel time it took to field it. Willing to bet that whatever happens it'll be something you can only pull out of a warpgate or tech plant.

The Bastion is clearly not ready for prime time; the model looks decent, but is devoid of fittings and apparently doesn't even have basic texture coordinates set up yet. It's impossible to say how far the underlying infrastructure has gone, but I'm willing to bet "not far" or "nowhere". It looks like DBG has only just gotten art back from their contractors... maybe even just preliminary art since I have a hard time believing they'd outsource their vehicle art but then do the often finicky work of UV mapping themselves. Still very interesting to see that they've put money down to have the model made, though. Hopefully we'll see it before 2017.

There was also an image of some sort of deployable base turret mount... wonder what that's about.

Re: Some possible stuff in the pipe

Here's some updated info from DBG:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2...update.231548/
    sigpic

Comment

Well, looks like the ANT may be coming... but in a bit of a strange form. No mention of the resource system and siege mechanics, just the ability to deploy things...

Comment

Look I made a windmill! Bow before me!!!
        MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TonyMac View Post
          Look I made a windmill! Bow before me!!!

#blameghostshooter101

Comment

Sounds about right.

Comment

The Colossus is a tracked vehicle. Tracked vehicles can ride Galaxies.
              That's all I need to know.

Ba-dum-tss
              My life before TG http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Cairbre
              Who cares about stats ? http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Cairbr

Comment

I'm really excited for the new ANTs and the player created constructs. I'm glad they are kind of letting us define this sand box a bit better.

Just imagine making a PS2 FOB with anti-vehicle guns and anti-air guns all protected with the Repair sunderer! Oh man. If they even remotely make it like a PR/SQUAD fob like building . . . though undoubtedly there will be restrictions on how many and how they are built. I can imagine resources being finite in a region as a way of preventing over building.

Comment

DBG posted some short clips on the ANT harvesting resources and the new construction process for building defensive towers on their Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/planetside2?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Comment

Is it just me, or are there 4 seats in the ant?
                    "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

Is it just me or was there a flying Super Star Destroyer sans weapons? #TakeMyMoney
                      #BlameCairbre

Comment

I wonder if resource is for the single player, continent or Faction and will it carry over once players disconnects.

I also wonder if the structures will be removed when its creator leaves

slow time harvesters supporting primetime tech?

or Defend the harvesters at all cost

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Hopefully it'll be defending the harvesters which will add a new dimension to the gameplay for support players who don't want to join the zergs.

Comment

Well I actually like the idea of low pop time being defined by the resource gathering meta, smaller population times could be boosted in fun by making the meta a little more dynamic then the big slug fests of high pop. Balancing this out though will be interesting. Obviously you can't have unlimited building options for balance and server health - but at the same time it can't be too limited that it has no affect.

I see it being tied directly to the faction - for basic base mechanics. But then it should also be tied to a squad/platoon. So I see some being given to the nearest base and others being pooled with the active squad. There might be a degradation factor to it, to prevent over saturation of he resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Assault9 View Post
                              Hopefully it'll be defending the harvesters which will add a new dimension to the gameplay for support players who don't want to join the zergs.
                              What is this c&c Renegade X?

I'm finding myself more and more conflicted when choosing between PlanetSide2, Project Reality and ARMA when stuff like this comes out.
                              I wanna see Ytman idea with FOB come to life as much as im scared to see it at the same time, PS2 is really big and abusing it will happend in someway I fear.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X