Got Swarm?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Swarm?

If you have the new Swarm launcher, please post up here. Mac and I were running a small anti-air/vehicle Swarm unit near the VS warpgate tonight and managed to make them very, very angry with all the rockets we were shooting at them. If enough people have the Swarm we'll take a look at setting up a mobile Swarm unit using a cloaking sunderer to sneak around.

Re: Got Swarm?

I have swarm, sometimes they have a nice predict angle and pathway to the target.

I find it funny, when I fire, and they lock, I do something else, then many seconds later I receive the hit markers. They seem to be hard to avoid once away and locked on

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Yes, seems as if that would be rage tell inducing.

Reminds me of something BigGaayAl used to say when we were doing AA/AV nests and such, something to the effect of what's the objective in a game where the war is never ending, well it's to troll the enemy as much as possible of course! lol

I miss Al.
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I am unclear as to what the difference is between the new launcher and the old annihilator. I believe they both lock onto air or ground targets. Would someone be so kind as to explain the difference?
        The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

The Swarm does lock onto both ground and air targets, but there's two differences between the Swarm and Annihilator. The Swarm can fire up to three rockets from a single lockon and has two fire modes; one for fast firing rockets that do less damage and one for slow firing that inflict more damage. Check out this video for the Swarm in action:

A single ESF or Liberator tends to flee rather quickly once they have three to six rockets chasing them down.

Comment

From my runs with the weapon, it is relatively ineffective against air targets. This is due to it's predictive trajectory to the target (The others try to straight-line, the swarm attempts to come around and redirects if it misses, the SKEP will come in top-down if possible on land targets, etc.

I didn't know why it was called the Swarm until I saw 6+ rockets literally swarming around a liberator, they were going in all directions, some missing entirely and looping back around, looking like a swarm of angry bees.

So.

They absolutely suck against land targets. Don't get me wrong, they hit and do damage, but out of 3 shots you might get 1 hit. The "swarm" behavior means a lot of rockets get real intimate with something called dirt.

Against air they are literally the greatest troll weapon of all time, and even with 2-3 people wielding them are something to worry about. A group of 4 + would be amazingly destructive. I'd be interested to see if a mix of fast and slow lock working together would be more effective...

[EDIT] Just watched the video. Shooting the thing into the air should increase effectiveness vs land targets, less swarm + dirt chemistry.

Also, the first time we were hatefully killed, there were only 2 people running the Swarm, and a couple randoms loitering. We had a galaxy, a lib, and multiple ESF's all focused on 3-4 people. We were able to hide, and the second round of hate we inspired was due to a roughly squad-sized force, maybe a couple more than that with blues, and that time we had harassers, Magriders, liberators, galaxies, esf's and Valkyries trying, and finally succeeding, to scrape us off the rock. To say we disrupted their warpgate operations was an understatement.
            MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Yeah that little juke move to get the thing moving upward into the air seems like it would be key.
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

We had a grand time last night with them, we had a little nook in the rocks that couldn't be flanked on the edge of the map, I have to say the swarm did far better against ground targets than I initially thought it did. Key Takeaways:

1. Be above your target, even by only a little bit.
                2. Aim as high as possible without losing lock.
                3. Favor targets coming toward or driving away from you, not ones crossing your firing lane.

I used the "Slow" lock all night and had great success, and did some significant damage.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, that was an epic two hour plus hold on the main road from Sungrey to Moss Ravine against several pushes of TR armor and air. All we had were two Swarm launchers, a cloaking Sunderer and a few pieces of blueberry armor around the perimeter of the base. Any armor caught out in the open was either destroyed or heavily damaged which forced them to retreat back down the road to Moss Ravine.

Comment

I believe TheFatz had a squad up around about that time... I recall that we (squad) met up with you guys on Amerish for a bit of AV work. I personally do own the Swarm, and I love this launcher. So much fun to be had. if ever there are swarmy operations... feel free to invite me or let me know. Chances are I would drop squad just to go have some fun with it (assuming I am not SL/PL at the time).
                    #BlameCairbre

Comment

In kills per hour, vehicle kills per hour, and aircraft kills per hour, the Annihilator outperforms the swarm (though only slightly on the last). As interesting as the swarm looks, it isn't performing all that well.

And it's worth noting that the NC's specialized launchers are much better - Crow for long range AV (which is markedly better than the Phoenix, let alone swarm), Hawk for AA, Decimator/Shrike for short range AV.
                      http://i.imgur.com/Pn1UxKo.png - Tactical Gamer // Planetside 2

Comment

[MENTION=55175]Wintermote[/MENTION]: While the stats don't lie about the killing, I'm not cert hunting with my rocket launcher, I'm looking for maximum impact to disrupt the enemies. While it's true I can go 5+ minutes without a kill with the Swarm, I'm more actively deterring the enemy, and in that way I don't get 1 quick efficient kill with the annihilator and then get bombed to nothingness by his friends. When in my lightning, I certainly don't run from a normal launcher. The idea of 3-6 rockets coming after me makes me duck.

The swarm definitely requires group application for maximum impact. 2 guys with them are effective at killing a variety of targets, 3 are downright a problem for the enemy.

The swarm also has a much larger pool of ammunition. You don't have to equip every "add extra rockets" perk to use the thing for more than a handful of shots.

There is also the simple point of application. The Swarm is still new, so a lot of people using it haven't mastered it's application the way they have with all of the other launchers.

sigpic

Comment

I was using the Swarm today both with TG squads and by myself. What [MENTION=56964]TonyMac[/MENTION] has said so far holds true. These things are great against air targets, not so great against ground targets. From my own observations, most fighters, air transports, and the like will usually do anything to avoid you firing upon them again. I spent a good 3 hours holding a small surrounded NC base with a bunch of blueberries while I pounded away at TR air assets doing strafing runs from above. After about 20 minutes of blowing everything out of the sky, I noticed Mosquitos and gunships quickly grew wary of my swarm launcher. Although the base was essentially encompassed by very tall rock formations (think a basin bowl), I essentially helped achieve air dominance over the local air space. The minute I started locking on (or did lock on), they would dive for the deck or cover to avoid my swarm missiles. Some were quite hilarious, in that they slammed themselves into rock overhangs, boulders, and cliffs in their rush to avoid getting "swarmed". After about an hour, nothing on the TR side dared to fly over the base. The ones that did (mostly small fighters) regretted it instantly. Luckily our own air cover picked up by this time, helping to maintain air dominance.

For ground targets, the more elevation you can get before launching the better. And the straighter the path, the better. These missiles do terrible since they have such wide turn radius and seem to be "pre-programmed" to dive as they turn (probably to anticipate aircraft diving for the deck as they try and evade). So if you fire at a fast moving ground target and he/she makes a turn, your swarm missile is gonna hit dirt and likely miss entirely. They don't do much damage, but they are faster and relatively more accurate than the anti-armor tank busters everyone else is carrying. Although they have odd and relatively wide turns, they still outperform the Annihilator and other anti-tank launchers.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X