Galaxy Flight Ceiling Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galaxy Flight Ceiling Question

What is the maximum height the Galaxy can hold position at so that people dropping from the aircraft won't be killed from the descent?

Re: Galaxy Flight Ceiling Question

IIRC its 600m from the landing spot. I think it is more a function of flight time than distance but more often they are the same thing.

Comment

I did some testing into this a while back - a long while back, maybe 1-2 years and so this may or may not have changed since then.

But what I recall is that it is a matter of x seconds of time of fall damage immunity, not altitude. Because your height relative to flight ceiling and the altitude of the ground will affect this. In other words, if you drop from flight ceiling into a big hole (think J902 or something like that) then you will go splat. But not if you drop from ceiling onto say, Scarred Mesa. Also you can survive multiple impacts without taking fall damage within that x seconds. Example: drop from Gal at high altitude onto air pad at tower or Amp Station, take no damage, jump off that to ground, take no damage again, as long as you are within the x seconds.

I think the time was like 8 seconds IIRC, but I could be wrong.

But to be sure, some testing should be done again to re-confirm all of this, as many things may have changed in that span of time.
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Well, assuming gravity of constant, height and time-to-splat (TTS) should be a constant.

So we could figure this out, and see if Auraxus has an inconsistent TTS value, proving the physics are broken.
        MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. That should leave us just enough room to sneak in there and do something interesting :)

Comment

As someone who is always interested in Galaxy (as well as spec ops and general PS2) tactics and knowledge, I would be very interested in testing / working on this with you some time. Whatever "this" is that you are cooking up. :)
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

This is the kind of test you want to run: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2...landing.72633/

I often do max altitude drops on Esamir, and it usually goes okay. There's a lot of things that *could* remove the fall damage immunity too early, some that were proven wrong (moving around while falling), some that are harder to check (landing on slopes, flat terrain or assets, micro bumps, etc.).
              Clipping into the Gal when dropping (=hitting its hitbox due to lag or the Gal's trajectory) may have an effect, but I never observed any death-on-landing at medium height even after slapping a planetman with my wing.

(@Mac: PS2 physics are not broken, they are -in a fractal way- subject to their own influence.)

Ba-dum-tss
              My life before TG http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Cairbre
              Who cares about stats ? http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Cairbr

Comment

I just read that whole linked thread. It seems as if a lot of those superstitions (not moving, not shooting, etc.) are just that. I'm starting to think that people who have problems have bad connections. If you've ever watched drop pods spawn in at flight ceiling, some take longer than others. This is due to lag / poor FPS / poor internet connection. If the Gal drop damage immunity is limited to some x seconds, and you use a couple of them up spawning in, that would explain why some die when hot dropping from high altitude and some not.

Also, now I am wondering if the Gal altitude shown on the dash is from sea level, or from ground level. And I read that J908 is like 70m below sea level. So I am off to test a few things... BRB...

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                  As someone who is always interested in Galaxy (as well as spec ops and general PS2) tactics and knowledge, I would be very interested in testing / working on this with you some time. Whatever "this" is that you are cooking up. :)
                  Sounds good. The "this" requires a four man team so if you're game to try it out, all we need is one more person who is a skilled light assault.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                    Also, now I am wondering if the Gal altitude shown on the dash is from sea level, or from ground level. And I read that J908 is like 70m below sea level. So I am off to test a few things... BRB...
                    Actually, both. The numerical value on the left is your altitude from ground level, but the altimeter on the right displays the altitude from sea level (and this one can display negative values). This is why, landed in J908, you may read 0 on the left, and -80 on the right.

Ba-dum-tss
                    My life before TG http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Cairbre
                    Who cares about stats ? http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Cairbr

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X