Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOP FIVE REASONS Why YOU!!! YES YOU!!! Should try out Squad leading

Im gonna make this short but...

Lately ive been noticing SLing and PLing have been falling on about the same 10 or so people. Earlier today in fact when i decided against sling due to the fact that i really didnt feel like it at the time, I noticed there was no one there to pick up the role even for an all tg squad. Thats not to say im not thankful for our sl,s. So I figured Id compile this list to help encourage some people that may be on the fence about sling

#1 SL,s PL,s And Command Comms managers Are all essential to the tg way of Playing planetside 2
    -Think about it If Tg Didnt have these people we wouldn't play the way we do today. (also a simple thank you to all our SL,s PL,s CCM's Gal Pilots and Sundy Drivers) Pure simple truth not much more to add really.

#2 Its Highly rewarding and teaches Great life lessons!!!
    One of the greatest satisfactions in Planetside is knowing that you led your squad to victory over an enemy force especially if they have the greater population. You also helped to make that persons play session better (At least hopefully).
    Not to mention many of the skills learned in leading can be taken to the real world [I.E. Communication skills, Leadership skills, Organization, Logistics ETC...]

#3 The Cert Income
    Not something to focus on in tg but i have noticed it comes with the territory, Ever since a certain update (I dont know which) SLing has become very profitable, much more than being a infantry grunt will (Dont play medic and engi though so i have no comparison), Nonetheless i have personally found its one of the fastest ways to get up to a 1000 certz about 3 afternoons and your there at least.

#4 Its sort of like one Big RTS [For PL's] (If you Like that Sort Of Thing)
    - Truth be told it sorta is, the only difference is that theres real life people behind every decision made. In order to get reinforcements sometimes you have to debate with real life people sometimes and interact with them, Every unit you put into battle is a real person behind a computer Screen. In that way its almost like a super realistic RTS.

#5 THE POWER!!! MWHAHAHAHAHA
    What other game will you have the power to lead up to 48 people against hundreds!!! Honestly if your SLing you have the power to change the way the battles in the game are fought and that is something special. Your akin to a general A commander a king!!!

Bonus Reason: Sometimes Our leaders Just need a break. Its surprisingly tiring leading that many people around and in stepping up to the plate for SLing you can keep the squad going when we have to step down. ALSO ITS SURPRISINGLY FUN!!!

So For any of our more Experienced SL's out There feel free to keep adding to this list
    WE ALWAYS NEED LEADERS
    PEACE!!!

Re: TOP FIVE REASONS Why YOU!!! YES YOU!!! Should try out Squad leading

Tried it. Enjoy it, though I would say we do need more people to participate. Squad leading can be extremely tiresome and grueling on an individual when you're doing it for an extended period of time. The longest I think I've ever led a squad was about 4 ish hours, maybe a little less. During that time, we also went through an alert, which raises the stress levels to new heights that I didn't even know existed. That being said, I find that it is a worthwhile endeavor. I have also PL'd a few times both during alerts as well as during the off hours between alerts. An effective PL (and by no means am I saying that I am one) is able to keep track of the constant ebb and flow of battle on two separate fronts with multiple battles per front. Not only can the PL keep track of them, but he can also influence them in ways that boots on the ground can't even see because they're absorbed in their man to man (or woman) combat. I highly recommend trying SL or PL at some point, even if it's just to try some tactic or the other you've been thinking might work. You never know... You might find that you enjoy it more than you thought you would!
    #BlameCairbre

Comment

We have several threads and videos on basics of squad leading for anyone too shy to ask for tips. Watch the videos (sticky placed at top of strat and tactics,) read the forums (this is one link of many good ones), and get out there!
      The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Good read on leadership guys and applies across many games. Some titles depend on good leadership to make them really shine. ARMA is one of these and it sounds like PS is too.

One thing that helps all leaders and especially new leaders is a shorter chain of command. Platoon leading in ARMA (though the scale is much different with typically 15-20 making up a platoon) can be a challenge with so many people working with you and taking on so many different roles. When I step up I try to have just two or three people under my direct command. That might be two fire team leaders and an xo or a medic. Or it might just be the XO and I've got my support elements on the net. Those guys will have people under them so really at any one time I'm conversing with only the Fire team leaders even though we have 15 or 20 in the squad. At any given time I have two people in my ear rather than 20. The key is to put experienced NCO's in those slots so you can count on your orders actually getting carried out. though the game is different I think this approach to leading works for any mil sim or fp shooter.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Good thread Raymond. I would just like to add that, if you (or anyone else) don't feel like squad or platoon leading, then don't do it. Don't get burnt out on the game. Keep it fun, pew pew some times, or do weird / different things to keep it interesting.

Having said that, yes we are blessed with a lot of very capable SL and PLs, and I've always believed in a "many hands make light work" approach. So, luckily, usually there is someone to carry the torch. But it always helps to add numbers to that pool, making the load easier on everyone. So thanks for making this thread.

As anyone who has led knows, yes there is an increased cognitive load when you step up to the next level of leadership. But as Raymond points out, it becomes a different (and in my opinion, much more rewarding) game when you do so. It also gets easier the more you do it. This applies not only when you step up from regular squad member to SL, but also when you progress from SL to PL, and finally again when you start to become a more experienced PL and begin to become one of the handful of recognized faction leaders that most everyone in COMMAND will listen to. Each new level presents new and different challenges, and you will feel out of place at first. But thus is the nature of personal growth, in all areas of life.

The vast majority of people out there live their whole lives just doing the same things, and never pushing themselves out of their comfort zones and reaching for that next level. And here you have a relatively low risk way to practice doing just that. Yes it is just a video game, but these skills are directly transferable to real life. Not only leadership as mentioned, but the basic fact that you are even pushing yourself to overcome fear and doubt and do something you have never done before. Which is one of the most powerful things you can learn in life. First in video games, and then once you have done that and become more confident, do it in some other area of your life, because it is directly transferable.

You will find that leading a TG squad is usually pretty easy. Everyone will appreciate the fact that you have stepped up, and most people will be helpful and kind. Especially if you have a good 2IC / Sergeant in your squad (this would be another more experienced SL). These people will help keep everyone in line and make it easier on you. Highly recommended. In the unlikely event that some TG member is giving you a really bad time, then send me a tell, or any other Corporal or higher rank who is online (press O in game to see who is online in the outfit), or make a post in the Contact Outfit Administration forum.

On a somewhat related note, I think you left out one of the most important points. You get to do whatever you want! Want to run an air squad? Armor squad? Airborne infantry? Breaching? Try out some crazy tactic, experiment, or just go troll the VS by doing AA at their warpgate? SL gets to choose what the squad is doing. So, for all of you back seat SLs, here is your chance. If you think you know better, than start your own squad, then you can do whatever you want! :)

This extends to PLs also. I sometimes get tells/comments from people who are clearly looking at the map and second guessing the PLs calls (especially when it may be a new / less experienced PL). I would submit to you that fall into this category, if you are doing this already, then you have a good understanding of reading the map, map dynamics, and strategy, that you are definitely "there" in terms of being ready to step up and PL. You just need to overcome your irrational fears and hesitation (or whatever is stopping you) and JUST DO IT.

Because that's what this is really all about (in some cases). That is how fear works. Fear is irrational, it stops you from doing what you want/need to do, even if you are probably perfectly capable. Fear is the mind killer. Learning to master your fear is one of the most powerful skills you can learn in life.

Or, maybe you are just selfish. In which case, quit being a jerk and consider contributing something back to this community that we all enjoy and that has given us all so much. :D Because that's how this works. No SLs, no fun. We each should be pitching in a little here and there to make the magic happen.

To that end, I am willing to answer any questions, serve as a 2IC, or do anything else I can to help facilitate this process with anyone who is interested in stepping up. And I'm sure a lot of the other experienced SL/PLs would likely feel the same. You know, teach a man to fish and all that...

For those who are at the SL stage, but maybe not prime time / alert PL level, I am also willing to step up and take the PL/COMMAND liaison role any time there is an alert going on. Under that sort of pressure may not be the best time to learn if it's your first time. You can continue on as an SL or however you would like to handle it. It just seems I can't get as motivated to PL other than during alerts nowadays though.
          Last edited by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL; 09-23-2015, 01:20 PM.
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Now, from someone you probably never saw leading anything... Yep, Randy is right. Just do it.
            Back in my Miller era, I did lead a lot. Squads, outfit platoons, public platoons, either in my mothertongue or in english. Truth be told, I got fed up and decided not to lead anything again (and this is something I insisted on when joining TG). Because what really burns you is that moment when you ask for someone else to take your SL/PL slot and you get that long silence, or simply when you log in and you know that, unless you make it happen, no squad will be formed. Whether people like you or not, you end up having to manage the fun of dozens of people that want to enjoy and relax after a day of work.

There are two points, and those will overlap with what's already been said; first is, why you SHOULD lead sometimes, second is, why you WOULD WANT to lead sometimes. Keep in in mind this all comes to COMMUNICATION.

1) You have a mic ? Yes you do. Help your regular, ordinary SL enjoy the game as a simple squad member. Help his brain to rest, improve your karma ! Give back some of your time and creativity to your outfit ! Come on, TG taught you a lot, right ? You have something special, your own vision of the game, your own playstyle, to bring to light to TG members. (*cough* just stick to the primer, though)
            Communicate with your team. Learn from them and let them learn from you.

2) It's all about what YOU want to do. Are you hesitant about...
            - the fact it's harder than being a lonewolf or a squad member ? Well, yes it is. You have to think. So what ? You WILL bring a better experience than a noisy, messy random squad !
            - following the primer and SOPs ? Just write "casual" in your squad description and don't make it public. Don't break the primer too often either ! :D
            - being liked as a leader ? Don't think about how to entertain your squad, don't think about how to be useful for your faction, don't think about how good or bad you would be as a SL.
            Be specific about what YOU want to do, and let people join. They may - and WILL - leave your squad not because you're bad at it (well, sometimes it happens !), but because they want to do something else.
            Make YOUR specific playstyle your strength, your signature. Look: Garthra ? Infantry, effective and tightly led squads. Randy ? Airborne infantry, mayhem-bringers squads. Thugz ? All around, relax, objective oriented squads.
            - making a squad if there's already a squad/platoon up ? Well, there is probably someone in that platoon that wants to do something else. Something you're up to, too.
            - failing ? For sure, you WILL fail, squad members WILL also fail and hinder you. Failure is always an option (uh uh), otherwise you wouldn't have a K/D ratio, just a K counter. Give your fellow squad members responsabilities (flying the gal, driving the sundy, breaching a room, being the only medic, etc.) so you have less things to fail by yourself ! Stay open minded and COMMUNICATE with your team. Take advices and opinions.

We're just here to have fun ^_^
            Last edited by Cairbre; 09-24-2015, 05:20 PM.

Ba-dum-tss
            My life before TG http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Cairbre
            Who cares about stats ? http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Cairbr

Comment

I want 10,000 tough guys, and I want 10,000 soft guys to make the tough guys look tougher. And here's how I want 'em arranged: tough, tough, soft, tough, soft, soft, tough, tough, soft, soft, tough, soft.

Comment

Clickbait title, since when did TG become CNN or IGN? 0/10

:D

Joking aside - its a great topic. Hopefully you guys will be seeing me within the next two weeks. My final pieces should be in the mail and arriving late next week and so long as I don't let my dog and cats help me build the rig I should be gaming by this time next week if not a little later. I'll definitely help fill the ranks of SLs/PLs - its a rewarding experience for the right kinds of people and most people can do it and enjoy it. On the whole its a position, so long as you are the 'top dog', that gives back exactly what you put into it.

You can just have a good ol fun time as an SL without worrying about a bigger picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                  Clickbait title, since when did TG become CNN or IGN? 0/10
                  I LOLed!

Yeah looking forward to seeing you again man. Keep the cats out of your rig, why do you keep saying that? I fear a delay in your return due to hairballs.
                  "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I think things will get a lot easier once DBG implements fireteams. That should let people ease into the leadership role without getting swamped, and also alleviate some of the strain squad leaders have.
                    http://i.imgur.com/Pn1UxKo.png - Tactical Gamer // Planetside 2

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermote View Post
                      I think things will get a lot easier once DBG implements fireteams. That should let people ease into the leadership role without getting swamped, and also alleviate some of the strain squad leaders have.
                      I wouldn't hold my breath on fireteams being implemented any time soon. SOE first announced them almost a year ago and they still have yet to materialize.

Comment

Maybe Battlefield has ruined/spoiled? me as a squad leader, but the last two days of watching, playing with, and hearing others lead (Garthra, Randy, and Raymond come to mind) has been eye-opening. Planetside gives you guys a lot more ability and some necessary tools. Then there's several comms channels to use (Command, Platoon, Squad, Proximity) that sadly is largely missing in BF. Seems so much more complex and overwhelming in comparison.

Kind of related, but I sometimes get bombarded by the overlap of the various channels. Is there some setting I could change so that I don't have to listen (or at least so it's more like a background whisper) to Platoon channel?
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeah, if you head to the social tab there's a place in there to individually manage the volume of every comm channel. Garthra is an outspoken proponent of SMs turning it down, and I use the same functionality for squad comms when I'm platoon leading.

Ultimately, PS2's comms are overwhelming because of the scale of the game. 12 people in a squad, 4 squads in a platoon, and any interplatoon coordination all add up quickly. If you're PLing you can get the worst case of this... prox chat, squad chat (which I typically turn down), platoon chat, command comms, and even the teamspeak from time to time!

That said, I remember an identical comm overload when playing Project Reality. Platoon, squad, prox and teamspeak add up to a pretty impressive comm burden.

Comment

Now that I'm thinking about it. Any way I could change the PS2 comms so that they resemble ARMA's comms? In that, I don't hear the other channels unless I switch to them (or if someone comms me direct)?
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I wouldn't recommend that, and there is no way to do it anyway (no way for someone to comm you direct).

Best thing to do is what SS said. If you are regular squad member, consider muting (or at least lowering) platoon comms.

If you are SLing, but not PLing, perhaps mute/lower COMMAND comms (assuming the PL is handling the COMMAND comms).

When I am PLing, and am in the squad, I usually mute squad comms. I tell the SL this and let him know to reach me in platoon or prox if needed.

And so on. Just don't forget to change the settings back later, or you will wonder why you don't have squad or platoon comms next time you get on and might think you have the (very common again recently) VOIP bug.

A lot of people advocate for muting prox, but I don't. Yes there can be sometimes blueberries carrying on in there, or playing music, or whatever. But there is also some very useful unofficial coordination happening in there some times between squads and platoons. I'm sure you've probably heard me coordinating next movements with another friendly group after a big base cap or re-secure. You can also rally a lot of blueberry support in an area by using prox. I do this a lot myself, usually to good effect. And finally, let's not forget we are playing this game for fun. Some of the most entertaining and social comments and sound effects I have heard in prox to me make the game what it is. It is an MMO after all, so interacting with others in that way adds a lot to the experience IMO.

Finally, I will point out that if one person is really bad, spamming comms endlessly, you can always mute them. The fastest way to do this is by pressing NumPad Enter key while they are talking. Or, if multiple people are talking, this will mute the lowest person in the list, who I think means has been talking the longest. If you make a mistake, you can find the individuals listed in the appropriate channel in the same place you find the sliders for squad, prox, etc. that SS was referring to. You can also use NumPad + and - to raise or lower an individual's volume while they are talking. You can do all of these functions in the menu also, but these keyboard shortcuts are usually easier / faster.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X