Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSA: Smoke is handled Client Side! (aka Smoke and Mirrors)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] PSA: Smoke is handled Client Side! (aka Smoke and Mirrors)

TL : DR snippet - Smoke is handled client side and what you or another see are potentially drastically different events.

So I was testing out the Gauss Compact S and its underbarrel attachments and let me just say I'm terrible with the gun. Absolutely terrible, it seems I've gotten too used to the AX-11 and some other carbine that escapes me. So, I was hoping that I could exploit the smoke/NVSC combo to nab easy surprise kills. Color me a purple spandex wearer but I found that people also use NVSC scopes rendering my subterfuge pointless! Shocking yes!

Well, in order to blame the weapon and not the user (fully joking here) I present to you my findings on at least another reason, wholly unpredictable and counter-intuitive, as to my poor performance: Smoke is handled purely client side and whether or not it renders at all is based on magic and mirrors (not to mention settings).

Not one to push forth unsubstantiated claims (and fully wanting to show off my fancy new recording ability) I have brought forth three simple and short videos demonstrating the anomaly the best I can.

=============================

DEMONSTRATION A

DEMONSTRATION B

You can carefully count the seconds by (use the audible sound when the grenade lands) or just trust me that the normal condition of Underbarrel Smoke is 20 seconds of life.

DEMONSTRATION C

Finally this video demonstrates that smoke can be made to vanish completely under the right circumstances. My theory is that if the game client is allowed to no-draw the area where the smoke was present at the moment of impact it will act as if the smoke is not present at all.

=====

So, I hope the take away is that Smoke isn't just concealment, its also just an illusion of concealment. There might be a way to better mitigate these anamolies but the point is that just because you see smoke does not mean everyone does. This makes smoke placement all the more important. As such its probably best used as a way to directly obscure an enemy position's vision and not as a means of putting a veil of concealment between two positions.

Re: PSA: Smoke is handled Client Side! (aka Smoke and Mirrors)

IIRC, it also is heavily dependent on your quality settings. Low quality leaves a much more porous smoke effect.

Despite all these caveats, there's still obviously a lot of utility in it, but it cannot be 100% relied upon. Consider it a supplemental addition; with the no-draw effect that Ytman demonstrates, I'd suspect that smoke is less likely to be rendered the longer it's in place and it'll be mostly effective on people already in the area. Enemies streaming into an area you've smoked might not render it; catching them would require a steady barrage.

Comment

yeah noticed smoke goes from downright erie to laughable on the difference from medium to low. Also its possible to turn off particles by lowering the particle render distance completeley of the the .ini file. I myself have done it in the past but only to get more frames on my lower end computer, not to rid myself of smoke. a side downgrade of this though is that you no longer see tracers so your situational awareness is less.

Comment

Hello All,

The main reason I created this video is to help with a Bug reporting
        As with the TG Primer, it is not meant to be used as an exploit in any way.

I wish to offer these forum posts as part of the bug report or to reference to

[MENTION=37421]Ytman[/MENTION] would you be willing to start a bug report with Daybreak Games?

One useful piece of information we can take away from this, while the bug exists, is as follows:

I used to create a shroud of smoke 100m away to one side to cover our passage from one place to another.

Now, due the how the bug renders, I think it would be more useful to actually deploy smoke 40 meters or less in front of an enemy location, to have better cover from the smoke

and

smoking ones own location will do nothing but hamper our own view if someone using this exploited .

https://youtu.be/-EHla9EaqBc

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Smoking ones own location was usually always a bad idea anyways. The closer the smoke is to the enemy and the further from you, the more it obscures their vision and leaves yours free.

Comment

Common military practice is to smoke your enemies position, this would of course be relative to your objective. This way the enemy would be and easier to target should he come through.

Comment

Agre with Cain. Smoke should be as close to enemy as you can get it.
              The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Originally posted by vts View Post
                I think it would be more useful to actually deploy smoke 40 meters or less in front of an enemy location, to have better cover from the smoke
                I also carry IR on my gun for when we smoke MAX units, but this is beyond the scope of the bug report, better to continue discussion here:
                http://www.tacticalgamer.com/threads...on-enemy-armor

Also I have sent a bug report to DG also linking this thread.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X