Max push formation revisited...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max push formation revisited...

So tonight something got brought about sort of on accident and sort of on perpous. a while back i suggested that the maxes use there riot shield in a "Phalanx" like formation... similiar to how the ancient romans approached bases. Apon further testing though there were some issues that arose with the formation... For starters, it required a heavy resource sink of the squad to field 2 to 4 maxes at a time. Second whilst the max shields were up very little firepower could be put forwards onto our objective at a single given time. and 3rd the formation was vulnerable to c-4 and finally maxes would come out of sync and make the formation no more useful than a standard push ...

-Today though I unretired the formation and gave it another go, this time with a bit of a different setup. Instead of having two to 3 maxes holding the line with there shield up we had 1 to 2, this minimized the scattering of the maxes and ensured that the formation could be used to push indoors. second instead of having maxes on either side of the formation we replaced them with two heavies, once again this allowed the formation to stay powerful, as well as giving the ability to give the formation some teeth whilst pushing then hidden behind the max is the engineers keeping there heads low as they rep the max, and picking up the rear is the Medics focusing on keeping the heavy assaults alive then the engineers. the formation "Provided the way i type it out works" should look from a birds eye view

HEAVY ASSAULT MAX HEAVY ASSAULT

\ ENGI ENGI /

medic medic medic

The raw concept is that The Max with shield is front and center with a heavy assault on his right hand side and a heavy assault on his left hand side a couple of engis should then be seated directly behind the max then the medics should pick up the rear and keep there res beams focused on the heavy assault
    anyways I noticed it seemed to work tonight, and I figured id drop it on here in the forums. comment below if you feel so inclined

Re: Max push formation revisited...

Interesting idea! Vulnerable from the flank. But frontal could be quite strong if movement is tightly coordinated.
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Hmm, what an interesting concept. I wonder if it has been tried before?

(Please note the date the above video was posted.) ;)
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

garthra while thats a good point what i will say is that during the live play i did notice that it really helps if the sl calls left or right hot accordingly... Also the formation is meant to be a bit of a spearhead as apposed to a means of moving through a whole field of fire safeley...

Comment

I was there when some of this was tried, I found it interesting, but perhaps best used for a room push like a SWAT team because then the walls cover your flanks.

We tried it in an open space when enemy dug in on top of a building shooting down on us. It seemed to not work any better than a normal rush in that context.

I also wonder that the shield is worth it, because the max even without shield can soak up alot with engineer healing him and sacrifices alot of offensive power when it isn't firing. Though I know the enemy likes to kill maxes first for points, so hopefully they would fire on the lead max.

I have concerns about veteran enemy that would be quick to headshot everyone else behind the max if they can get an angle. So a context that is avoiding the flanking angles would help alot.

But it sure is fun and intimidating to the enemy to see an organized team and max advancing on them like "300" soldiers! :)

I say try it again and often to refine it and see what works.

Comment

I like it. Good idea for a Tuesday Tactics.
            Communications, Cohesion, Confidence.

Comment

I'm sure you will find a lot of people at TG willing to help you with your tactics experiments. Myself included.

Speaking more to your specific plan, what I think happens in a real situation is that it is too fluid and fast changing to stick into any sort of rigid formation. And in my experience, it's pretty hard to actually stay in formation, especially in a combat situation. And that is why I am a proponent of a sort of "tacti-blob" with the Maxes and/or Heavies generally at the perimeter / doors / etc. with a "soft squishy center" including the SL, Medics, and Engis providing support.

Having said that, this could be very powerful if we got that coordinated movement thing down successfully (especially while under fire) and I'm willing to help give it a go. Should be fun at any rate! :)
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Looking forward to helping with this!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                  I'm sure you will find a lot of people at TG willing to help you with your tactics experiments. Myself included.

Speaking more to your specific plan, what I think happens in a real situation is that it is too fluid and fast changing to stick into any sort of rigid formation. And in my experience, it's pretty hard to actually stay in formation, especially in a combat situation. And that is why I am a proponent of a sort of "tacti-blob" with the Maxes and/or Heavies generally at the perimeter / doors / etc. with a "soft squishy center" including the SL, Medics, and Engis providing support.

Having said that, this could be very powerful if we got that coordinated movement thing down successfully (especially while under fire) and I'm willing to help give it a go. Should be fun at any rate! :)
                  Yeah in all honesty it was sorta a tacti blob but even so the fact that we had a max with support and two people fireing on the left and right hand side of the tactic blob proved effective the positioning of the medics and engis is less important than the positioning of the maxes and heavies it seems. the example i gave was under perfect world circumstances...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X