Playing While Working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing While Working

Some of you may have noticed that lately I am often in-game but not in squad. This is the year I finish writing another book, which means I spend a huge amount of time editing, reading, and researching (far more time than the actual writing process). When I am working on the book I cannot be in comms, following orders, or hearing any squad/leadership comms -- I am deep in thought writing, editing or researching stuff like this:

"One path to understanding why and how the Internet enables radical social change lies at the beginning of the twentieth century when electronic mass media laid the foundation for the propagation of capitalismís consumer lifestyle. The accumulated consequences of the industrialization of cultural production and its organization of mass communication and mass consumption provide some of the more certain determinants of the processes of social change in the era of networked digital media. Capitalism created an industrialized value system that laid the foundation to the current social order and its dominant mode of production and consumption. Capitalismís industrialized value system now faces competition from a virtualized value system that is not subject to the direct control of elites, capital, states, and other institutional structures of the twentieth century. This chapter explores how capitalism dominated the production of meaning and value and lays the foundation for the subsequent exploration of how the digital networked environment is eroding capitalismís value system."
    Some nights I will not be able to squad up at all -- much less often than in 2015.

Please do not take it personally -- my dual monitors allow for a screen dedicated to my (usually) parked Sundie, usually on a secure flank within a few hundred meters of a front line (so I do not have to move it too often or directly engage the enemy).

If an SL or PL wants to take the trouble, broadcast your units AO in Outfit chat (continent, grid, keypad) -- I'll do my best to provide a passive supporting role but I must emphasize that, when I am working on the manuscript, I cannot join up with the squad or platoon.

A quick hello to a nearby TGer in prox is about the best I can do vis a vis comms. Don't hesitate to say hello.

70,000 words to go . . .
    sigpic

Re: Playing While Working

17,600 words written since January. Approx 50,000 to go, so will be in-game but unavailable for communication or squading-up most nights.

Played around with a text to speech program and created this robotic reading from the manuscript.

(You will need to download it once at Google docs).
    sigpic

Comment

Was it Dragon Naturally Speaking? I've played around with it a bit, it seemed to work pretty well though.
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Natural Reader, free version. You reminded me that I have a paid version of Dragon speech to text but have not installed it on my new C drive.

Here is the intro to the chapter I am working on writing this month:

Chapter Two: Capitalism’s Value System

By the middle of the twentieth century the majority of what people read, heard, and saw was made by professionals who were employed by corporations. These corporations sold entertainment and information products to hundreds of millions of consumers that were gathered together in mass audiences. This radical transformation in the way culture is created and transmitted is known as the industrialization of culture. Claude Martin describes the industrialization of cultural production as “one of the major changes in our society since the beginning of the twentieth century.” The industrialization of culture involved the mass-marketing of consumer goods that promoted the consumer lifestyle, but went far beyond the sphere of mundane goods. The shared images, songs, stories, meanings, and information that organize mass behaviour became the private property of some of the world’s largest multinational conglomerates. Nicholas Garnham argued that this process resulted in a “centralization of control of the whole cultural sphere by and in the interests of multi-national corporations.” This centralization of cultural production within the market is seen to encompass most areas of life such as education, fashion, the press, medicine, leisure, travel, financial markets, the fine arts and more. One economic analysis of the global media industry estimated 2009 revenues totaling $4.3 trillion (US) and this only included the telecommunication, information technology, and entertainment sectors. The social role of this multi-trillion dollar media industry provides “the ‘stuff’ from which we build our sense of self-identity, our perceptions of the world, and social ties with others; it is a source of pleasure and conviviality and the basis upon which societies are organized.” In other words, commercial media represents an extraordinarily powerful institution of behaviour management. Yet for all its power and monolithic character the industrialization of culture is still subject to rapid change. This chapter explores how the economy gained controlled of the production of meaning and value and lays the foundation for the subsequent exploration of how the digital networked environment is eroding capitalism’s value system.
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah I think Dragon is supposed to learn what you say over time more and more accurately so you would be able to command and write your next best selling novel :)

FUN FUN

Comment

some where in the middle of the book...

quote PRNTED
            By the middle of the twentieth century the majority of what people read, heard, and saw was made by professionals who were employed by corporations. Alpha, move to the tree North west. Bravo! follow alpha once they reach the waypoint. darn, where was I. o yes. These corporations sold entertainment and information products to hundreds of millions of consumers that were gathered together in mass audiences.

end quote printed

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Originally posted by vts View Post

quote PRNTED
              By the middle of the twentieth century the majority of what people read, heard, and saw was made by professionals who were employed by corporations. Alpha, move to the tree North west. Bravo! follow alpha once they reach the waypoint. darn, where was I. o yes. These corporations sold entertainment and information products to hundreds of millions of consumers that were gathered together in mass audiences.

end quote printed
              I am correcting not a few typos in the manuscript as a result of hitting the keys w a s and/or d when the cursor is in the wrong screen . . .

Curse that damn cursor . . .

Off to my next lecture now.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vts View Post

quote PRNTED

end quote printed
                You think you could slip anything like that past your editor E-Male?

I'd buy the book, just to see something like that. LOL
                "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Here is a brief summary of the manuscript I am working on:

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed