Standby ion control. Fire!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [VIDEO] Standby ion control. Fire!

The early stages of the orbital strike weapon is now up on the PTS for testing along with a few updates to the ion cannon.

Re: Standby ion control. Fire!

Well that's interesting. The physics looks like a load of fun. Does it eat up a VP core? I'd hope not.

Seems like a limited utility weapon. Against a vehicle zerg, most of the targets will scatter or just be out of range unless you've got them pinned in a tight space like an Amerish mountain pass or Indar canyon. That's even if you can get close enough to place the dart without anyone noticing and killing it, as well, which seems like it might be a bit of a challenge.

That means the main use is going to be as a countdown timer for killing a player base. The Ion artillery piece is going to be more of a direct siege tool, quickly set up and easily employed but not an "I win" button. The orbital strike, on the other hand, might be. Once it goes up, you'll know exactly where the threat is and how long you've got before you're at risk of obliteration (from the sounds of it, 15-35 minutes depending on how far away it is). If you don't deal with it, then a stalker infil (or maybe a rumble seat passenger in a Harasser or Valkyrie) will sneak into your base, place the beacon, and unless you're really on the ball you won't be able to kill it before it turns the entire fortification to slag.

As that kind of siege breaker tool, it's interesting. An 800m radius is nothing to sneeze at; the continents are only 8km by 8km, that can cover a huge area. A few such facilities placed preemptively would be enough to make HIVE placement difficult. It'll also make the really obnoxious bases in low ground or on the map edges easier to knock out, if all else fails.

However, I'm really curious as to what the possibilities look like for using it as a defensive tool, as a secondary base supporting a HIVE. A lot of really stubborn base defenses finally get worn down when the enemy builds siege-works and starts hammering at you from their own turrets and walls, and a well-placed orbital strike could knock those siege-works down before they become a problem. In fact, having orbital strike capability on your base might be a solid counter to enemy orbital strikes or ion artillery; have it set up and charged before they do, and you'll out-range them and be able to fire before they're able to.

Comment

I just had a thought, which would add question to its use (primer)

You build an outpost eg AA nest - AA turrets, AI mod, Rep mod, Silo and maybe some other structures.

You build the MAIN base with the Weapon of mass destruction within in range and defend it with everything you have (except the few AA used at the out post)

When the zerg ground force, moves in, to take out the AA out post, you press the big red button.

This type of action, what ever the target, is suited to small squads when base capping is over populated, if you can draw enough players off a lattice base to deal with the out post then hopefully a smaller squad can finish recapping it.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Another use for orbital strike may be for this:

Comment

Cannot see the video but I am guessing it was clip of a napon run on infantry.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X