Muffin out for ~ 2 weeks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muffin out for ~ 2 weeks

So my computers graphics card was acting up. Basically when I did anything that got the gpu working my signal to my monitors would cut out about 5 minutes after my gpu started to get used. Only thing that would fix it was shutting off the computer and not using anything (gaming mostly) that would require the gpu.

TL;DR
    Computer broke. See y'all in 2 weeks when it should be fixed.

Hopefully I won't miss too much!

On an unrelated note how do you "like" posts?

Get well soon Muffin.

Comment

See you in two weeks!
      The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Well that was quick! Computer was a much simpler fix than anticipated. See you guys on the battlefield!

Comment

As some of you may have noticed I haven't been on very much. This is due to something nearly lighting a fire inside my computer. (There was some smoke, didn't know computers did that) so I'm back on the bench. Computer was sent out and I was told I'd receive it back, if all goes well, the 26th. Already hitting the first stages of withdrawal, which is nice. Have fun without me. ):

Comment

I was wondering where you've been it's good to see you're not dead but your computer is instead that's an alright trade I guess XD

Comment

Well Muffin, the 26th isn't a good day. PS2 decided to crash in a properly good fashion. All servers are down for over an hour . Ruined the Slyfox-esque fast paced squad that I filled in for tonight.

Comment

update: No progress made. With this rolling up on a month now, my computer is finally being shipped back to me... however it hasn't been fixed. Since the techs couldn't reproduce the issue (their system tests did not show an issue even though I had ruled out such tests wouldn't show the issue. They would have to run a program such as skype, planetside 2, rocket league or literally any other game to reproduce the issue and they refused)

So now it's up to me to fix my own computer...

TL;DR - rip muffin (for another 2 weeks probs)

Im going to be so rusty ;-;

Comment

Originally posted by UltimateMuffinMan View Post
                  As some of you may have noticed I haven't been on very much. This is due to something nearly lighting a fire inside my computer. (There was some smoke, didn't know computers did that) so I'm back on the bench. Computer was sent out and I was told I'd receive it back, if all goes well, the 26th. Already hitting the first stages of withdrawal, which is nice. Have fun without me. ):
                  Back in 1984 I was a night auditor in a hotel in Banff (The Banff Park Lodge). Part of my job was swapping out (backing up) the hard drive on the hotel computer. The disk was larger than an old cinema film canister. In the middle of one night I had to call my supervisor (I had a terrible crush on her) -- the mainframe was smoking.

For years afterwards I had nightmares about being trapped in that hotel job in Banff.

sigpic

Comment

UltimateMuffinMan

Hey,

If you know what piece went smoking specifically, then you should also check if it's is still under Warranty, if so you could try to send it to your Manufacturer for a repair or even a new one, although no promises (and I dont know if "flaming GPU" is covered, so make sure!)

Also what troubleshooting have you done on your own?

Comment

Currently waiting for new gpu to come in. (Bought a new Nvidia 960ti) hopefully all goes well to fix it.

Chris as of now I think it was the gpu having the issue. Honestly though I don't have much of an idea if the issue is only the gpu or much larger...

;-; pray for muffin

Comment

So after a lot of YouTube videos and a relatively sleepless night I may have found my issue. The PCI cable for my gpu looks to have a short inside the wire. Just ordered a new one and a new gpu just in case it wasn't just the wire that got damaged.

Parts are coming in between the 9th and the 14th.

Also, if anyone has any tips for putting things into computers I would much appreciate it! :D

(I have little idea of what I'm doing)

Comment

sorry this happened to you Muffin you've been out for a long time now because of this I wish I could help but I would have to be there to help you with your computer Xd

Comment

Replacing a GPU is only a couple of steps. It comes with one or two power connectors from the power supply, 6 or 8 pin, and they cannot be inserted incorrectly. The motherboard slot has a release pin at the end of the PCI slot, typically on the top towards the CPU. Also don't forget about the screws in the back of the case.

Now for the PCI power wire: I'll assume you ordered a new wire and not a new PSU in total. If you have a modular or semi-modular power supply then this will be easy. Just unplug the old cable from the power supply and replace it with the new one. I would run the cable the same way as the old one and use any tie-downs that were used previously. If you do not have a modular power supply (where just one large bundle of wires comes out) then I am not sure what to tell you.

Comment

So my old gpu only used one 6pin to 6pin connector and the one I bought has two 6pin slots. The issue that I may have is my motherboard has a 6pin slot and an 8 pin slot. So I bought two 6pin to 6pin pci cables and one 6 pin to 8pin one. Currently only waiting on the cables to come in now.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X