PTS Orbital Strike/Cortium Drain updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTS Orbital Strike/Cortium Drain updates

Sourced from Reddit. Obviously, this isn't a done deal at all yet, but worth discussing!

To summarize:
    • Cortium drain changes. They're going way up across the board, and construction costs are going down (IE base costs will be less construction and more maintenence). To reduce those maintenance costs, a new "Cortium Tap" structure can be placed some distance away from the silo (minimum 130m, maximum 155m). Two of them bring Cortium drain to the levels we're used to, three of them halve that. So now there are going to be targets on the periphery of bases that can be knocked out to bring the cortium drain higher; if the ratios BBurness is mentioning hold true, I think a silo with no taps might end up draining at 4 time the live rate, which is not insubstantial.
    • Orbital strikes can't target beneath skyshields now. You need to knock them out first. Glaive has been buffed a bit; looks like the idea is to have to use them in tandem.
    • Orbital strikes won't be affected by no construction zones any more! You can use them to break an assault on a base now; I'll be interested to see how that plays out. A really solid double stack hold might actually be at risk of eating an orbital strike in some situations now. Depending on how this all plays out, it could give renewed relevance to base building and a much wanted siege breaker. Also a particularly nasty way to interrupt a big base fight.
    • Skywalls won't raise themselves on their own anymore. Players have to hold E on them to raise the shield after it's been knocked out, and they can't do so if they're being EMPed by a Glaive. Interested to see how it plays out, base defenders will need to be more active in keeping their shields up, especially if they want to prevent orbital strikes.

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
    [*] Orbital strikes won't be affected by no construction zones any more! You can use them to break an assault on a base now; I'll be interested to see how that plays out. A really solid double stack hold might actually be at risk of eating an orbital strike in some situations now. Depending on how this all plays out, it could give renewed relevance to base building and a much wanted siege breaker. Also a particularly nasty way to interrupt a big base fight.
    This would be the biggest game changer imo, its going to make the game feel different for sure. The only thing I worry about as it pertains to this one quote is the ease of setting up an orbital strike. I see in the future (should this change go in) the OS will receive nerfs in the sense of power or in its ease of obtainability

Comment

I would hope that orbital strikes only affect the targets outside of the buildings. As we know building cannot be destroyed so logically it makes sense that being inside or under something would be safe. The game at it's core is an FPS. I am against having this disrupt a good large scale fight; that is what the Planetside 2 draw is.

Comment

I think you guys might be overstating the impact a bit; the orbital strikes does take quite some time to charge, after all. It's a concern if you walk into a base already covered by an active orbital strike (in which case, a squad sent to neutralize it ahead of time might be prudent), but except in a protracted battle it'll be an unlikely occurance. I don't think it'll be fight ending, either, unless it's used to kill the lone enemy Sunderer (which, lets face it, was probably one particularly sneaky Light Assault from dying anyways).

Besides, I think an OS disrupting a big fight might actually a good thing; shake up a stalemate and get things moving! Tough to say without seeing it live, though.

Comment

Orbital Strike gives player a few seconds warning before damage, normally enough for one tank to run clear, while a group/zerg of assets may block each others exit and remain within the blast radius.

I wonder what the effect would be in a bio lab fight.

If we do use the OS on mixed Targets, it would help to call the strike out 30 second to a minute before the strike, with its intended location

Leader or Say Chat: About to OS Base name!!

Once this moves over to Live, I can see the probability of more friendly/collateral Damage due to Orbital Strike, lets hope Gunners inform the populous before Launch time.
          #

EDIT: an even better defence for a base is to call a strike in /yell, and see how many enemy stay behind with out pressing the button :)
          Last edited by vts; 04-16-2017, 06:55 AM.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

It would be interesting to see bases having a mechanic that denies the strike.
            I think that defender should be able to call upon a OS in their own territory while the enemies still have a No strike zone around the base. just like sunderers can deploy within their own base zones.

Comment

In short I love every bit of it.
                • Everyone I hear from, zergberries to TG alike agree that this game suffers from lack of Meta. The changes to the cortium dynamics and increasing the impact of Player made "Sand Castles" as stated above will likely increase the meta significantly.
                  • The Orbital strike changes will cause people to think twice before attacking a DEV base before clearing out the sand castles. Currently sandcastles are ignored unless placed in provocative locations.
                  • The decrease in cost to buildings will shorten the amount of time it takes to build a base which is significant at the moment, so there will be more bases to worry about.
                  • The increase in cost of maintenance will:
                    • A: Create a base that seems more like real bases, living breathing entities that need continual sustenance to survive. This will in turn create more ants roaming, which creates more need for both supply convoys AND convoy hunting packs.
                      • Increased cortium need will likely increase the fight for resources specfically
                    • B: Create larger bases in order to place the Cortium Taps to bring maintenance down to manageable levels. This will be a flawed strategy for any but the largest outfits. A base the size of my triangular "Vehicle Garage" which is small, is best defended with two full squads vs the zerg. A large enough base to accommodate the taps would be large and require a platoon or more to defend effectively or fall easily.
                  • Because of the rock, paper scissors effect created between the Sky shields, Orbital Strike, and Glaive cannon, I see the bases as being both strong and vulnerable needing significant tactical decisions to both attack or defend effectively. Perfect for TG.
                    • The manual nature of raising the sky shields creates another logistical consideration when distributing "damage control teams"
              • Orbital strikes can't target beneath skyshields now. You need to knock them out first. Glaive has been buffed a bit; looks like the idea is to have to use them in tandem.
              • Orbital strikes won't be affected by no construction zones any more! You can use them to break an assault on a base now; I'll be interested to see how that plays out. A really solid double stack hold might actually be at risk of eating an orbital strike in some situations now. Depending on how this all plays out, it could give renewed relevance to base building and a much wanted siege breaker. Also a particularly nasty way to interrupt a big base fight.
              • Skywalls won't raise themselves on their own anymore. Players have to hold E on them to raise the shield after it's been knocked out, and they can't do so if they're being EMPed by a Glaive. Interested to see how it plays out, base defenders will need to be more active in keeping their shields up, especially if they want to prevent orbital strikes
              Last edited by VLAD; 04-18-2017, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X