Running a public platoon (48 mans) observations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a public platoon (48 mans) observations

Some things I noticed from last night impromptu, inherited platoon, that some of TG was helping to run. (Basically it was Quanix (kudos) PLing, Rybthod, MuffinMan and Bregard and a PHX guy (Minidude?) that were Squad Leading.

In my experience, usually only half the people follow orders, and the other half are stragglers or catch up later on, or ignore. That could be because they are in the fog of war and either missed a call out and are not situationally aware or just don't know yet (newbs) or are ignoring but like to listen to the comms for SA.

So I tend to use that very fact as part of the tactics, I think of the first PL orders as the point of the spear, dropping 24 guys onto an AO (Area of Operations) and they set up sunderers, and capture points and get the timers started. Now the stragglers they start popping into the sundies, they start catching up with the waypoints and fill out the numbers at the points over the first minutes, then usually the enemy responds in the last minute before capture. I think putting 2 squads per tasking is better than 1 tasking each squad due to difficult comms/fog/ too much coordinating for a public platoon. Alot of people, perhaps wrongly, just treat a platoon like 1 squad and don't put more thought into it. I think there is a middle balance between micromanaging and letting individuals taking the initiative.

After a time, 30-min, a few drops, more cajoling by SLs, newbie people get more in-line and get the "rhythm" of redeploy to warpgate and gal-mobilize.. And by then most of the "ignorers" have been kicked so your Platoon smartens up once its filtered a bit.

But with pubbies, the problem is they are volunteer soldiers, and they are looking for a "good time" and if they lose morale or lose interest or are more interested in staying in the old foxhole to keep sniping mans at the old base, they are probably going to.

So I would counsel, even though it is counter to good tactics, find ways to keep it fun and interesting, even if that is silly stuff like everyone take Flashes to the next base,
    and even if that means "over-popping", dare I say "zerging" the enemy, at least your platoon gets a win, and people feel the "Ding" of capturing a base. Also sometimes seeing the epic zerg of vehicles and such is part of the PS2 experience, its part of the game of numbers that PS2 is.

Also lingering a bit longer in a fight for a second push, avoiding redeploying too quickly to the other side of map sometimes can keep pubbies together longer, even if it is not the right "tactic" for the overall map (i.e. defending is easier than offense). Sometimes we have to give up some territory to push through a base and depend on others (Command) to defend.

Its a judgement call if the battle is true stalemate or is worth a second push after losing the points, and its true it could be better to hit another lattice to let the enemy dissipate at the old base and come back to it in 5 minutes for a better chance at the capture. But the logistics of herding the pubbies can be slower than a full platoon of TG that know and follow the orders.

All in fun,
    Ricterr

It's certainly a different animal than running a pure TG platoon. But it can be managed, you just have to have the right expectations and adjust accordingly. Good on you for running a more open platoon, something I feel like we used to do more often. Well, at least I know I always did. Just glad to see others picking up that torch, and rounding out their PL skillset!

I have said many times, much can be learned by this that is directly applicable to real world leadership such as morale, setting tone, understanding the capabilities of your men and getting the most out of them, etc... Because in real life we don't always have the luxury of leading a team of people who are all on the same page culturally, etc.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
    X