The Prototype Tank on PTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [VIDEO] The Prototype Tank on PTS

If you're on the PTS you might have noticed the Prototype Tank which appears to be some sort of long range artillery, at least at this stage. Check out the video below for some footage of it in action:

I will pay big nanites to drive that thing around!

Comment

So that's, what, a tank destroyer mounted on a Vanguard chassis? Cheap approach to setting up a new vehicle; not just avoiding any new models, but also taking advantage of the existing physics tuning.

I wonder what the heck they're planning with that.

Comment

I may have missed it in the video, but is it NC only or more NS all-faction? I would hate to see a cross faction vehicle using a faction specific chassis. This can be very confusing for all sides involved.

I'm not sure of the purpose really either. Tanks can already do long range work, nearly at render. Does this have very high velocity that makes hitting moving targets easier at distance?

Comment

I believe that they're supposed to be something for a new alert type where you have to hunt down NS prototype equipment, so they would be cross faction, yeah. I think the enormous NS Glaive-esque turret and faction specific paint jobs should help to differentiate them from Vanguards, but we'll see.

I could see a few ways to make a vehicle like it work. A really powerful gun with no side-to-side traverse could be interesting by contrast to the turreted tanks, or some kind of anti-structure siege artillery could work as well.

Comment

On that Alert type: I would send out 48 Platoon members in ESF fighters to scout for it, once they findind which hex it is in, you can't drive that tank too fast, then the whole faction can descend on that hex and obliterate the defenders and that colossus tank.

On the defenders side, it seems to me like driving it to a friendly bio lab (or facility base) and parking in the basement will cause all the other factions to have a huge three way over the bio lab and could be alot of fun really, with low FPS.

We will all see I guess. :)

Comment

Originally posted by heleana
              Does this have very high velocity that makes hitting moving targets easier at distance?
              It's slow: only 250 m/s. The answer is at second 0:53.

The actual gun's performance is so low I do not know what niche it fills.

Muzzle speed is lower than the Titan-150 HE's, but too high to make fire from cover.
              Direct hit damage is significantly lower than the Titan-150 HE's.
              The splash damage is equal on both guns at 4 meters for roughly 300 damage, where the prototype begins to have the upperhand for 2 more meters around impact, while the Titan-150 HE does more than the prototype's maximum splash damage up to 3 meters.

For comparison, a Bulldog round is just about as lethal as the prototype, but has a way better arched trajectory for fire from cover as it's muzzle speed is so low (100 m/s) and you can fire 3,8 of them by the time the prototype reloads.

It's not ready, yet.

Comment

Apparently the only real advantage it has right now is that it's way tankier than an MBT.

Not sure about this; the alert appears to be based on prototype tank kills, but the player incentives are all in the wrong place. If I'm understanding it correctly the dominant strategy will be to NOT use the tanks and just swat down the other faction if they decide to use them. It'd be smarter if it was scored on something more like prototype tanks spawned, or kills made USING the tanks.

Comment

I agree with what starstriker1 said about it not making that much sense at the moment.
                  "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

Drax has posted another video showcasing some of the new updates to the PTS regarding implants, the new prototype tank and the alert that's associated with it. Prototype footage starts at 4:19

Comment

Another video by Drax revealing more information about the Prototype Tank Alert, some current stats of the vehicle and how it measures up in some combat engagements.

Comment

Yeah, that alert can't be used as is; the game theory is transparently broken. People who want to play with fancy new toys will spawn a tank and not only deny a point for their faction, but give the other factions an opportunity to score. The only game winning play will be to destroy every crate that lands in your territory and then scour enemy territory for crates and/or exploit any individual who foolishly went and took the vehicle out for a spin.

Also I anticipate a ton of prototype tank TKs, given those perverse incentives.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X