Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planetside 2 Base/Facility Map Project (WIP)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [IMAGES] Planetside 2 Base/Facility Map Project (WIP)

First and foremost, I'd like to begin by apologizing for the giant Donkey Punch this thread is going to deliver to your internet connection. Lots of images incoming.

I've recently been searching for images of the various bases in the world, thinking that we could use them to develop tactics for attacking and defending each base. Unfortunately, I failed to find a comprehensive library that would be useful for that purpose. So.. I decided to start our own library of maps. Below is the result.

A special Thanks! to our very own Apophis for accompanying me on this epic journey.

If you have a slow internet connection (I'm looking at you, Jeepo ;)), here is a link to all of the images

Hidden Ridge Mining

Torremar Salvage Yard

Xelas Bio Lab North

Xelas Bio Lab South

Onatha Bio Lab North

Onatha Bio Lab South

Silver Valley Arsenal

Splitpeak Pass

Auraxicom Substation

West Foothills Airdock

Rockslide Outlook

The Bastion

Mekala Tech Plant

The NC Arsenal

Auraxicom Network Hub

Crux Headquarters

Blackshard Tungsten Mine

Shadespire Farms

Crux Mining Operation

Amerish ARX Reserve

Jagged Lance Mine

[img]http://i.minus.com/ib4UVM6ZrlaoM.jpg[/img

Cobalt Communications

Heyoka Tech Plant North

Heyoka Tech Plant South

Moss Basin Mineshaft

Chimney Rock Depot

Vaemar Logging Company

West Pass Watchtower

Deep Core Platinum Mine

Wokuk Amp Station West

Wokuk Amp Station Northeast

Torremar Storage Yard

Auramax Chemical Co.

Tumas Tech Plant North

Auraxis Firearms Co.

Granite Valley Garrison

Highroads Station

The Auraxian Cryobank

As of this writing, I do not have images of the following bases on Amerish:

SolTech Charging Station
    Deserted Mineshaft
    Kwahtee Amp Station
    LithCorp Secure Mine
    North Grove Post
    Sungrey Amp Station
    Ikanam Bio Lab
    The Ascent
    Raven Landing

More to come!

sigpic

Re: Planetside 2 Base/Facility Map Project (WIP)

I've got something that 'might' help your efforts.

http://ps2maps.com/

If you are interested in making a 'GoogleDoc/PDF' of these bases with me I'd be happy to help.

Comment

Good idea! Remember that the hexes do give away your position if you aren't on the cap, so be careful if you're putting up a defence outside the CZ - you're still vulnerable to being heatmapped!

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
        I've got something that 'might' help your efforts.

http://ps2maps.com/

If you are interested in making a 'GoogleDoc/PDF' of these bases with me I'd be happy to help.
        Wow, I looked for a good hour today and never came across PS2Maps. Thanks for the link!

The only bad thing about that site is that it doesn't show the CP's, generators, or SCU's. Hell, even the ss's I took don't show everything that I wanted shown. ie. Weapon/Vehicle terminals, rearm/repair stations, etc.

I've never used GoogleDocs before but, I'm definitely game. Shoot me a PM with what you have in mind.

sigpic

Comment

I love this idea... but I really want an overlay in game that shows me topography... like... if infantry can climb up/cross this ridge or not

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Originally posted by LordFuzzywig View Post
            Good idea! Remember that the hexes do give away your position if you aren't on the cap, so be careful if you're putting up a defence outside the CZ - you're still vulnerable to being heatmapped!
            What do you mean? Heatmapped? Is this just via proximity?

Comment

are we looking to do all the continents?
              |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                What do you mean? Heatmapped? Is this just via proximity?
                No. The "Enemy Activity" function on the map is also called a heatmap (i.e. the darker it is, the more dangerous it is). Merely being present in the hex's SOI makes the region "hotter". Just giving the fair word or warning that just because you aren't in the CZ doesn't mean you're incognito -- don't expect to sneak a platoon behind enemy lines without SOMEONE noticing that there are enemies in the SOI. For example, if you are moving two platoons of infantry from the north along the road toward Frostfall Overlook, Esamir, (one of the larger SOI's the game has right now), it may take you 5-10 minutes to actually get to the CZ. The enemy's heatmap will show "ENEMY PLATOONS DETECTED" -- and though they may not know exactly where you are, it doesn't take long to find out with a few scout ESFs and/or thermal-equipped Liberators to track you down and throw an RP on your approximate position.

This is why, for example, airfleets are notoriously difficult to track and why, on occasion, you'll see "ENEMY SQUADS DETECTED" when there are only 6 infantry - their air support made the region hotter. Air cavalry might make a region red for two minutes, but by the time you get there, it's green because they all have left. Just something to look out for. :)

Comment

No. The "Enemy Activity" function on the map is also called a heatmap (i.e. the darker it is, the more dangerous it is). Merely being present in the hex's SOI makes the region "hotter". Just giving the fair word or warning that just because you aren't in the CZ doesn't mean you're incognito -- don't expect to sneak a platoon behind enemy lines without SOMEONE noticing that there are enemies in the SOI. For example, if you are moving two platoons of infantry from the north along the road toward Frostfall Overlook, Esamir, (one of the larger SOI's the game has right now), it may take you 5-10 minutes to actually get to the CZ. The enemy's heatmap will show "ENEMY PLATOONS DETECTED" -- and though they may not know exactly where you are, it doesn't take long to find out with a few scout ESFs and/or thermal-equipped Liberators to track you down and throw an RP on your approximate position.

This is why, for example, airfleets are notoriously difficult to track and why, on occasion, you'll see "ENEMY SQUADS DETECTED" when there are only 6 infantry - their air support made the region hotter. Air cavalry might make a region red for two minutes, but by the time you get there, it's green because they all have left. Just something to look out for. :)
                  BGA was explaining some of that to me yesterday and it fits with an idea I have about infiltration.
                  I would like to see the spawn beacon and the redeploy option used more often to keep the enemy in the dark about our movements and intentions.
                  If the enemy sees that a hex simply shows enemy detected they won't pay much attention because the heatmap will indicate a low pop in that hex and then a whole platoon can be spawned in via beacon and/or sunderers spawned from captured terminals.
                  You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                  So that when they turn their backs on you,
                  You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Originally posted by di1lweed1212 View Post
                    are we looking to do all the continents?
                    That's my plan.

For anyone that's interested in contributing to this project, here's a quick rundown of the process I used. Granted, there are probably far easier ways (ie. in a Reaver) to get the map images than I used, but Apo and I had a ton 'o fun exploring the backwater bases of Amerish on ATV's. Not to mention, we caused a good deal of chaos to the enemy on our trip by hacking terminals and turrets, and destroying every shield generator we could get to. :icon26:

Grab an Infiltrator kit (the cloak comes in handy when navigating enemy held territory) and an ATV from the Warpgate and head to the nearest base. When you get close enough to the base that the control point, shield generators, and SCU (if the base has them) shows up on your minimap, open your full screen map. On the right side of the map screen, under filters, make sure that everything is unchecked except for Objectives and Facilities (I don't think it matters if Facilities is checked or not). Then, center and zoom in all the way on the base. Mouse over the region that the base controls, so that the region info shows up on the right side of the screen (this makes it relatively easy to see the name of the base). Take the screenshot. If the base is too large (ie Bio Labs, etc) to fit entirely in one screenshot, snap a couple. The objective of these maps is to have as great a level of detail as possible.

I respectfully ask that I be given copies of the map images, so that we can have them all in one location. (anyone is welcome to download any or all of the images I've taken, from the gallery link in my OP)

Good to know! I'd always wondered what the Enemy Activity map filter was good for and how it worked. I'll start using it when SL'ing to try and find the squad some good fights!

sigpic

Comment

Here are the final bases of Amerish:

Sungrey Amp Station Central/East

Sungrey Amp Station South

Ikanam Bio Lab North

Ikanam Bio Lab South

North Grove Post

Stoneridge Reserve

LithCorp Secure Mine

Deserted Mineshaft

Kwahtee Amp Station North

Kwahtee Amp Station South Central

SolTech Charging Station

The Ascent

Raven Landing

sigpic

Comment

how should we transfere the files to you?
                        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

The easiest way is to use a photo sharing site. Personally, I use www.minus.com, as it's easy to use and allows the user to "drag and drop" photos to upload them. You could also use TG's photo albums, found when you click "My Profile" at the top right of the web page.

Once we have all of the bases images, I'll get with the TG Site Admins for a way to donate all of the images and have them hosted by TG. Full credit will be given to anyone that donates images for this project.

On a semi-related note, do we have any TG Ps2'ers that are handy with Photoshop or a similar product? I think it would be beneficial to have the UI removed/cropped out, as well as adding the rest of the base icons (weapon and vehicle terminals, etc.) to the images.

sigpic

Comment

Is this what you were looking for? I included the name at the top of the picture so whoever was using it wouldn't have to go back to see which base it was

Specs-Ops Training Camp

Here are the ones I've edited so far, I have about 50% of Indar, just not edited.
                            Ta-Da!
                            Last edited by di1lweed1212; 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM. Reason: found clearer terminal symbols
                            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Excellent work, dilweed! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for!

p.s. Your linked image doesn't appear to be working, so I checked out the Ta-Ta! link and was suitably impressed.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X