Staying Alive: A Different Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying Alive: A Different Game

Often I play PS2 with a different primary objective that that which the game supplies: staying alive. By this I mean that my Sunderer is kept in-tact and I remain alive -- all other concerns are secondary to this objective.

Keeping in mind that I am not proposing this as a superiour objective or as an objective that the TG outfit should adopt, I have opened up this thread as a place to bring my observations on gameplay in PS2 as it unfolds within this framework: not dying.

I do not ask any to join me when I play this 'game' within the game (a metagame, by some definitions) as it leads to reduction in kills, certs, and xp -- the holy trinity of PS2, but of course all are welcome.

What I am engaged in is a little experiment. I am exploring a process that requires unlearning years of FPS gaming habits and retraining my tiny animal brain to react differently within the otherwise familiar environment of the online FPS.

So far my experiment has demonstrated to me that I am either a very slow learner or the process of retraining the mind under such conditions is complex and time-consuming.

The challenge one faces in the PS2 environment, as with other FPS games, is the number and variety of risks and the extreme ease with which one can be killed.

One must change ones orientation to time and space within the game. Space between you and the enemy must be considerably expanded. Time must be allowed to stretch out as situations are carefully assessed, courses of action measured and weighed, and patience becomes a weapon applied against opponents that will move with haste and greed (for a kill).

Being alone is deadly. Being at the leading edge of the front is deadly. Being at the rear can be deadly. Being unaware for just a moment -- deadly.

Following orders is deadly (thus the need to be disconnected from a squad when playing this game).

The object of not dying is complicated by the demand to be effective (you cannot just play the game by sitting in the warp gate!).

More to come on the game of not dying.
    sigpic

Re: Staying Alive: A Different Game

Interesting concept E-Male, I will join you in this some nights, help keep you alive.
    sigpic

Comment

It can be quite fun to try to keep a character alive, at times.

I was on Amerish at one point, using an AA MAX in a TG AA squad. As the faculty we were in was overrun, tanks come down on our Sundie and ripped us to shreds. As I was at the end of the line I was the last man standing, and I booked 'er out into the night.

I used the last rounds in my bursters to kill a heavy who saw me escape, then it was a tense 300m escape over open terrain. If it wasn't the dark of night I'd never have made it. The VS had scattered infantry across the plains, and I made my movement from tree to tree as they passed. I froze about halfway across the plains at the sound of a VS sniper rifle. It came from the other side of the tree I was huddled behind. Knowing I was lucky just to have made it to him without being spotted, I wasn't going to risk moving again with him there. Like the majestic and stealthy rhino, I slipped around the tree and caved his head in with my armored fists. Approaching the rally point at the Bastion, I was forced to stick close to the cliff as the enemy armored column surged past on the road above.

I linked up with TG, re-armed, and got back in the fight.

It was one of the most exciting times I've had in PS2.
      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

This is very interesting to me. I have always set myself 'mini-objectives' in every FPS type game I play and this 'survival' style one is certainly something that will ramp up the tension and I think also teach people to play a little smarter, even in times when they are prepared to die, just not die cheaply or throw their life away. It's almost like learning to drive more economically so you get extra mileage, extra bang for your buck. Reduce the lemming, disposable attitude and increase the effectiveness.

“No poor b*stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other b*stards die for their country.”
        General George S. Patton

I actually, due to RL and my job at TG often am stuck with playing alone. The necessary interuptions mean I am regularly alt tabbed to fix things/speak to people etc. As such it is only fair that I don't lead or become a dead weight in a squad. As such I often resign myself to logging in and snatching some game time alone, setting myself mini-objectives etc. I don't actually mind as it allows for me to focus on some tactical stuff I want to experiment with, try out weapons etc. In effect I am basically Lone Wolfing. Having had to do this for quite some time has afforded a fair bit of experience with this kind of experimental self education, all of which has benefited my more social play, ie when I am squad'd up with others.

The orientation to time and space in the game struck a very resonant chord with me, I wholeheartedly agree. One of the things I used to preach in my PR squads and in discussions with fellow players and IHS mates was the rhythm of battle, hearing the 'music' and understanding it. Knowing when to move and in doing so, understanding when your opponent will move. Knowing when to remain utterly still in the midst of chaos because the impatience of your opponent will unwittingly bring them right into your sights, if only you have the courage to stay steady as a rock.

Little things like pausing instead of barrelling round a corner and being rewarded by your opponent doing exactly what you have restrained yourself from doing, bringing himself into your sights on a flat run, unable to bring his weapon to bear, whilst you are there crouched with perfect aim on the space he will step into, dropping him before he even raises his weapon. Taking that brief moment to think "where is my cover, I want to kill my opponent and survive the engagement, I don't just want the kill", "where would I move if I was him".

Such an interesting proposition because in many situations by deciding to do nothing, ie not to push, you are in effect being more proactive. You aren't letting the situation control you, you aren't letting that basic urge to charge in overwhelm your judgement, you are deciding what you will do, you decide to wait, and let your opponent be the puppet. You in effect dictate the circumstances by holding fast.

Staying alive during this kind of Lone Wolf experimentation teaches you to rely less on the assumed actions of others, teaches you to survey your surroundings much more carefully, forces you to use both your eyes and ears more effectively. You are no longer along for the ride, you are in the driver's seat and there is no one else to blame when it goes wrong.

Educating yourself this way tactically has massive benefits to squad based tactical play as every tactic and skill set can, in my opinion, be extrapolated from the individual to the larger group mechanic.
        Last edited by Wicks; 01-24-2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I disagree that following orders is deadly with the clause that you simply inform your leader that you want to play in the manner you want. To field a Sunderer is inherently deadly. You become a target of everyone. For this reason I think your task might be counter-intuitive.

Always being smart and alive is best, however, the dynamic of the battlefield is such that you can't stay alive and have a role. Unless it is a support role not in direct combat. I guess being a 'crew chief' engineer on a rearm pad would be a low risk but slightly important role... I've done it a few times. Good XP for a very low risk situation while still being at a point to defend against a few persons.

Comment

Probably the lowest-risk role I've seen that still provides a significant value on the battlefield is that of "General Support Squad". Basically you grab an AMS/AMMO Sundie and follow behind the front line (as eMale has been doing) but with additional squad members using AA Max and Engi to both project AA cover and provide mobile AMS/AMMO/REPAIR.

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
              Always being smart and alive is best, however, the dynamic of the battlefield is such that you can't stay alive and have a role. Unless it is a support role not in direct combat. I guess being a 'crew chief' engineer on a rearm pad would be a low risk but slightly important role... I've done it a few times. Good XP for a very low risk situation while still being at a point to defend against a few persons.
              Careful about making assumption regarding the limitations of staying alive.

When I do step up as SL, I take a very different approach than the normative style. I make it paramount to remain alive so I have uninterrupted situation awareness and so my sqaud's resources are not reduced due to reviving me. The Sunderer makes this easier as it provides a mobile command platform that also resupplies men and vehicles and provides a persistent spawn point -- all very useful assets.

Indeed, unless ordered to do so, I very rarely disembark from my Sunderer.

Also, very rarely will I squad lead 'from the front' -- I leave that to my "Alpha One" fireteam leader or equivalent.

I do not hold my method up as the ideal -- leadership styles are very idiosyncratic and, preferably, flexibly adaptive to the situation and the personnel.

As Wicks notes above, such a mode of engagement has many benefits, but also comes at a reduced rate of cert-gain. I will remain in the same place for 30 minutes or more if necessary, with very little happening in my immediate area at times. The war will eventually come to me.

Keep in mind that this is a mode of engagement that I usually undertake when alone (although others are always welcome). When I join in a TG platoon I switch modes and make following orders the priority and accept the risks that that entails. When I SL in non-TG platoons I revert to the do-not-die mode of play and explore how such a mode can operate as a command position. Non-TG platoons are usually less precise in orders and less demanding vis a vis disciplined action, so I use them as an opportunity to test the concept of do-not-die in command and teamwork situations.

Eventually I plan to combine the two modes -- do-not-die with TG platoon teamwork.

A persistent Sunderer support squad will do whatever it can to support the platoon, but will act through the agency of a Sunderer with the imperative of remaining safe and alive -- very much as one would expect a support/supply line to operate in the 'real world' -- different mission with different risks.

I find close quarter combat has worn a bit thin after 20 years and the new support roles enabled within PS2 are a welcome change to run-gun-die-respawn-repeat.

Surviving a close encounter, a bad situation, after remaining active and alive for one or two hours kicks up the adrenaline.

Keep in mind that this is not an argument about good vs better -- it is just my current mode of play.
              sigpic

Comment

No, its a very good argument! Often as platoon leader I prefer not to be in direct combat either, but close enough to observe.

Comment

I have found effective ways to join various aspects of my gameplay style to the demands of playing with the squad/platoon.

As PL I operate out of a Command AMS-Sunderer that travels from secure zone to secure zone. I a perfect world, I would have a driver, two gunners, and someone to make me sandwiches.

As SL I appoint a fireteam leader to take over operational command of the squad. I remain in or near the AMS-Sunderer. Sometimes venturing out to test tactics such as smoke (see below).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
                    It can be quite fun to try to keep a character alive, at times.

I was on Amerish at one point, using an AA MAX in a TG AA squad. As the faculty we were in was overrun, tanks come down on our Sundie and ripped us to shreds. As I was at the end of the line I was the last man standing, and I booked 'er out into the night.

I used the last rounds in my bursters to kill a heavy who saw me escape, then it was a tense 300m escape over open terrain. If it wasn't the dark of night I'd never have made it. The VS had scattered infantry across the plains, and I made my movement from tree to tree as they passed. I froze about halfway across the plains at the sound of a VS sniper rifle. It came from the other side of the tree I was huddled behind. Knowing I was lucky just to have made it to him without being spotted, I wasn't going to risk moving again with him there. Like the majestic and stealthy rhino, I slipped around the tree and caved his head in with my armored fists. Approaching the rally point at the Bastion, I was forced to stick close to the cliff as the enemy armored column surged past on the road above.

I linked up with TG, re-armed, and got back in the fight.

It was one of the most exciting times I've had in PS2.
                    That is a great story. :)

In particular, I broke into a hearty belly laugh at this line: "Like the majestic and stealthy rhino, I slipped around the tree and caved his head in with my armored fists." :D
                    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

There have been two times where I managed to not get swarmed by a wave of zerg. One of them was at a Tech Plant where TR just capped the point and I had an entire squad of infantry with heavy armor roll on past me. I didn't open fire, I simply hugged the building and crouched, watching the TR not know any better than to look where I was and simply marched on. It was one of the more tense moments of my gaming career because of that whole 'behind enemy lines' factor and knowing I needed to redeploy without getting caught.

The second time happened yesterday on Esamir where, again, TR capped a territory I was in and I simply hid behind one of the beds and called out targets to my buddies. No one on TR side must have heard me call out their team because no one went after me. After about ten minutes, I decided to get the jump on the bad guys and started introducing people to my knife/silenced carbine to dispose of two targets before going to the roof and finding about three guys. I shot a heavy assault in the face before getting mowed down by the other two, but I think it was still worth it to make them feel less secure. I mean, if one NC stuck around behind the rest, was he alone? Did he signal a squad to pod in? Those are some interesting questions to ponder!

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

I created a new character a while ago, DrStrangelove.

He is at level 5 with a K/D of 4/0.

Managed to get a AMMO-AMS-Sunderer well-equipped without dying so far.

Will see how long I can keep DrStrangelove alive before his first death.

sigpic

Comment

E-Male is playing Planetside in Hardcore mode. O.o

Comment

The Staying Alive Game

The rules:

Create a character and play that character until you are killed.

Your character is disqualified from the game once killed.

You may start over with a new character.

I'll continue to record my progress in the "Staying Alive Game" and challenge others to try it out.

I scored three more kills today (GrizzlyAdams, ZealousMenace, and Zu2 -- all TR), bringing my K/D ration to 7/0.

Last edited by E-Male; 03-29-2013, 07:36 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I want to know how you snuck up on them with that camo... LOL
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X