No announcement yet.

-Brainstorming- Small Unit (Fireteam) Operations

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -Brainstorming- Small Unit (Fireteam) Operations

I've long held the opinion that if TG, the outfit, is to accomplish anything that one thing we'd excel in is commanding the infantry battle through superior doctrine. To this extent I always thought figuring out how a squad should tackle specific objectives through the chaos of the ever changing nanite driven battlefield. I'm suggesting a series of 'somethings' articles/tgu courses/pamphlets/novels(not really)/infographics be worked on by our more active and experienced members so as to lower the level of 'OMG' the scale of PlanetSide2 can bring to us all.

I'm talking about core principles and not regimented specifications to within the nanometer. Things like spacing, ridge fire lines, movement on foot, core certs to upgrade and why they are important, building breaching, diagrams of specific facilities and a tactical break down, how to hold a capture point with exactly six persons on it and the rest in a screen for security, the list goes on.

These wont be necessarily enforced in-game, though SLs/FLs, might try to, but it would be up to the community persons to read them and try to keep them in mind.

I experienced a Vanu Attack on the Stronghold a month back; they weren't even a full squad. Yet our full squad was unable to keep them down as they buttoned up a two story building and kept a good pace of revives and 'drop pods' for reinforcements. I saw that and really thought that TG could excel there.
    No person can simply just be; they are what they do.

Re: -Brainstorming- Small Unit (Fireteam) Operations

Storming a building as a team is a pretty basic fireteam tactic that I think a lot of in-house squads already drill for. Maybe we could adapt those strategies to PS2's unique speed and spawn features?

Unit composition is also something that we have discussed only tangentially and reluctantly, but could help SLs and teammates be more effective at taking specific objectives.

Personally, I'd also like to experiment with battlefield Galaxy tactics - WMD have some incredible pilots who can get an entire squad from point to point across very short distances under fire. Mainly because the whole squad knows where to go, how to load, how to keep fire discipline, and what to do once they drop on a target.
    In game handle: Steel Scion

More on Galaxy piloting:

I only post this because it is a style of transport we usually do not use in the TG outfit. Usually we do long-range high-alt drops. I see some groups will use Gals to move between satellite points during a base assault, which is a lot more intense.

I am about halfway through my draft of a PS2/any 'realistic' team FPS Infantry guide which covers a lot of this stuff, I will press on with getting it as 'finished' as I can. I can share here if anyone is interested.

very much interested indeed.

also I think some PS2 specific guides as proposed would be a good thing to have.

After i finish the Indar mapping, and if time enables me...i would be willing to attempt some graphics of tactics if needed
            It interested me alot, and i love helping out

The galaxy tactic is something we tried in beta, i was piloting :p it was before we knew high altitude drops were possible
            i would swoop down ontop of a building and swoop anyway in a few seconds
            and for pick up i would either land briefly or just hover and let people load, it was a blast to say the least
            I believe there were a couple other nights like this with other pilots, one person that sticks out in my mind is Serjikal
            we got $hit done with gals
            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Concerning graphics on tactics: I created for myself a .psd to quickly make tactical diagrams. If you like I could share that with you, di1lweed1212. Maybe we can also work together, to get better results, if you like.

Here is preview of what it looks like:

(btw. there are at least two typos in those text boxes^^)

Ok so I'll share what I have been scribbling. Please bear in mind it is very much a work in progress and the ultimate plan is to produce something that applies to more than just PS2. Eventually I aim to tailor it to specific titles such as Arma. Furthermore it does not specifically cover Fireteams at this point, I'm still working on Fireteam and Squad play.

Ok guys and gals, Infantry Basics. Yeah, I know, everybody knows them don't they. You don't need some grizzly old so and so telling you how to run infantry, you've got a decent K/D haven't you? What could anyone possibly tell you about putting lead down range and slaying bodies.

Whether we like to admit it or not most of us do not have the fundamentals down and if we do we don't always carry them out effectively on a regular basis.

If for a moment we accept that the above is true, does it matter? If we operate reasonably effectively despite our lack of fundamentals why is it important?

Executing the fundamentals of infantry combat effectively will;

- Increase your personal effectiveness and survivability
                - Increase the effectiveness and survivability of the man next to you
                - Increase the effectiveness and survivability of your squad

All of the above will significantly increase the likelihood of completing any objectives you set, be they personal, tactical or strategic.

The Fundamentals

So what are the fundamentals and why are they so important?

Broadly speaking the fundamentals can be broken down as follows;

(NB: The exact terms you choose to use are largely irrelevant, the content is what's important)

- Analytical decision making

- Weapons systems - correct employment and utilisation

- Movement

- Communication

Each 'fundamental' grants a combat effectiveness bonus and as a result any improvement in one specific area will see an increase in general combat effectiveness. However it starts to get really interesting when you realise that not only do these bonuses stack, they multiply each others affect.

For example. An individual who makes excellent analytical decisions based on the rapid processing of information will have a strategic advantage over some opponents. However the increase in combat effectiveness that fundamental potentially grants can be negated by a lack of the remaining fundamentals. In this instance that would translate as knowing what you want to do but not being able to action that plan effectively due to other weaknesses, ie movement or communication. Alternatively it could manifest as making the decision, communicating it effectively but not having the suitable level of 'power' in weapon systems to overcome the obstacles in your path, basically having a plan but losing the gunfight.

Now if said individual employs the following;

- Analytical decision making
                - Communication
                - Movement
                - Weapons handling

we start to see a very different tactical picture.

Thought process > Informed and timely decision > Orders relayed/ plan shared/ intent communicated > Effective movement > Strategic advantage > Effective weapons system utilisation = WIN

Having one fundamental or discipline that is strong will serve you well in some circumstances, but your success will be entirely situation dependent. You will not define your circumstances, your circumstances will define you and the outcome. For example, having spectacular weapons handling will clearly serve you well in most one on one engagements. However if you lack the other key fundamentals you will simply present your opponent with one challenge, one that is potentially overcome by numerous counters, weight of numbers, flanking, attrition etc. You will be effective in specific arenas, you will also be limited and of limited use.

Therefore the need to focus on, develop and maintain the fundamentals should be obvious.

So let's now breakdown the fundamentals and see what we can work on. There will be some obvious and natural overlap here as we see how the individual skill sets fit together.

Weapons Handling

Don't pop up repeatedly from the same firing position when engaging an opponent from hard cover. They will simply wait and send the round downrange when you are in the process of popping back up. You will eventually die without even seeing them fire the fatal rounds as they sent them on the way whilst you had your head down.

Fire > hunker down > shift position > engage again

Don't be a bad GhostBuster - (never cross the streams)

If your team-mate is engaging an opponent, do not, at any point move in front of him. Do not break his line of sight to the target. Do not try to get a cheeky kill steal in. Find another target. If you need to move to do this, do so, behind your team-mate. Tell him of your intent to move. His fire will facilitate your movement.

Stepping in front of someone firing a gun is plain stupid, not only in terms of the risk of friendly fire but due to its sheer ineffectiveness as a way to engage targets. The person engaging is already on target, has a clear sight picture and is actively engaging the enemy. You on the other hand will need to move, acquire a sight picture and then engage. During that time your team-mate will have to cease fire, if he hasn't killed you by accident. During that time your opponent is no longer being actively engaged and will take advantage of that pause in fire on their position to engage you, the clown walking in front of everyone. He will have more time than you to acquire his target, is quite likely zeroed on that position as the point of origin of the former fire from your team-mate. What usually happens then is that you will be dropped almost instantly. As an added bonus your team-mate will also most likely get given the good news to the face as you have completely blocked his view and rendered him unable to return fire. Well done.

"Don't be a cuckoo, either go through the door or get out of the way".

Ok, what do I mean here? Simple. When assaulting and clearing a structure don't 'dally on the threshold', you aren't a door to door salesman hoping for an invite in, you are a Warrior, you are here to take this building and by god you will. If you make a decision, prosecute it. If you decide to enter a structure do so swiftly and smoothly. Get through the 'fatal funnel' and step to the side and clear the room, get out of the way, do not hesitate, push, push, push.

In clearing the 'fatal funnel' quickly you do the following:-

- Get yourself out of that immediate line of fire and present a moving target
                - Facilitate the movement of your squad mates behind you, which in turn gives the defenders more targets and also brings more friendly weapons to bear, that in turn increases your individual survivability and those of your squad mates

Cuckoo'ng does the following :-

- Keeps you in the fatal funnel as you dance back and forth
                - Prevents further reinforcement to the breach
                - Presents only one target to your opponent

All of which decreases your personal survivability and your chances of success.

Communication, utterly key to your ability to successfully integrate with your squad and team mates. A force multiplier. Effectively communicating your intent and actions will streamline the process of translating analytical decision making into action. Simply put the better you communicate the quicker your 'ideas and observations can be capitalised on and impact on the reality of your situation'.

Learn to identify when chatting is ok and when comms need to be clear to get the job done. Develop an understanding of appropriate channels and limit your broadcast to both the right channel and the right people. When transmitting important info be brief, be specific be clear. It is quicker to take a breath and think about the message you are sending than blurt something out and have to repeat it. Develop an awareness of other people's situation, you may be sitting somewhere nice with your feet up and have all the time in the world for a nice chat as you give a status update, the recipient however may be in a firefight, on comms with someone else or the last man standing in his squad and trying to listen for footsteps etc.

Always consider "who needs to hear this, who doesn't". Let the recipient hear the message, understand it and begin his decision making process without hindering him with further superfluous comms.

Remember all comms temporarily reduce both the sender and recipients audio awareness of a situation whilst being transmitted, so it’s short, to the point and accurate all the way. You do not want the enhanced situational awareness the sharing of information should bring negated by the loss of awareness that too much comms can inadvertently cause.

Comms in CQB

Speak only when required, audio sign is critical in the early identification of threats. In addition this allows all squad members time to think and process information, another critical stage of the decision making process. Finally, good comms discipline allows SL’s and FT Leaders to issue orders that are heard and understood first time.

Trust & Discipline

Lets talk about trust. A squad cannot function to an optimum level without some degree of trust. What does this mean. On a most basic level this means having faith in the person next to you to do their job. Trusting them to watch that corner, get that revive, select the right kit etc. Ironically this can only exist once the individual accepts that it is not their job to manage the situation, only to manage themselves. As an individual you must first ensure you are squared away and have all your ducks in a row before you even consider what somebody else is doing, something that is arguable whether you should ever do as an Squad Member, that is the Squad Leaders job.

The most effective players, the most effective squads I have seen contain individuals that

- Ask the SL what he/she requires
                - Sort their kit and gear accordingly
                - Think about how best to accomplish their task
                - Keep a watchful eye on everything else to see where they can help

in that order.

The order is important. Always make sure you are doing what you need to be doing, what you're SL has asked you to do, before worrying about everything else. The most common failing of squad members is to assume they know better or second guess and fail to carry out their assigned task. This then cripples the squad as you have a squad member duplicating tasks and not covering their sector as it were. Ultimately they actually doom their squad to failure as they have 'gone rogue', this validates their decision to not follow orders, "see, we got overrun from the south, told you, you should have listened to me". They of course overlook the fact that 'south' is actually where there squad leader told them to cover when they were busy refitting at the sundy to get an Infiltrator 'they' believed they needed.

If you are an SM forget the big picture, focus 100% on your job. Nothing else, don’t keep checking your map, that’s a distraction. Let the SL check his map, you keep your eyes open and focused on covering him whilst he does so. What do you need the map for anyway? You won’t be deciding where the squad goes next nor do you need to know what other squads are doing.

This is one of the biggest mistakes experienced players make, particularly those who perhaps usually lead a squad themselves (myself included). They are still focused on the Macro game, still seeking the big picture, still strategising.

Their focus is not on their specific job within the squad (that someone else is leading) and therefore to some degree they are dooming the squad to failure, or at the very least not contributing as much as they should or can.

Each member of the team is a cog in a larger machine. If each individual cog performs like a piece of precision engineering, carries out it’s function to the highest standard, the machine performs beautifully, like an expensive car. If however some constituent parts are not performing at 100%, perhaps because their focus is elsewhere, then the whole machine will fail.

It is critical that at times when you would normally look at your map you are instead looking at the terrain, covering your sector and providing security. If you have ever played in a squad that has good comms discipline and great situational awareness you will understand the difference between them and a ‘regular’ squad. They will speak when necessary and hold comms without being told. They will cover their angles and pull security without being asked. They will respond to contact swiftly and decisively. They will do these things because they are focused and that focus is what gives them their edge. They will each win the little battles because they are concentrating on the sights and sounds of the battlefield and will not be caught unawares.

Unless your tactical situation satisfies the following criteria do not 'double up' on an opponent (engage an opponent already being decisively engaged by a team-mate).

1) Overwhelming force ratio in the immediate area. You outnumber your opponent greatly in your immediate vicinity

2) Mortal danger. Your opponent is danger close, short range, CQB distance. Then your priority is to eliminate the threat as rapidly as possible.

If your team-mate is decisively engaging a single opponent at medium range your job is to cover him and search and assess for further targets. Your task is to watch his back and maintain a broader situational awareness as his focus on a single target will have reduced his situational awareness temporarily. Your team-mate firing will have attracted attention from nearby opponents, you will have someone to shoot soon enough.

In doing this you are demonstrating trust in your team-mate to do his job and enabling him to do it by keeping him upright and lead free. This in turn will build his trust in you and allow him to focus, knowing you are watching and covering. This simple dynamic is a fundamental concept of squad teamwork. Establishing that level of trust will see your squad and individual effectiveness increase drastically. Conversely a lack of this kind of discipline and trust will see a squad that is little more than a collection of individuals shooting at everything they see, a squad that can and often will get wiped by a similar sized group with any semblance of cohesion.

Reloads and communication

Call your reloads when working in close proximity with your squad, every time. Let the guy next to you know that your gun is offline so he can adapt his rate of fire and target selection. Get a good secondary (pistol) and bind a key to a quick switch. Dependent on situation, range and previous effect on target you may wish to switch to your secondary to employ the 'coup de grace' and leave some ammo in your primary. Why? Well if you are simply finishing off a target your secondary will be single shot and force you not to lean on the trigger and empty your primary. The 'Rebel' pistol (an upgrade) is phenomenal in close quarters, think 7.62 calibre damage, and will only require a couple of shots to finish your opponent. All this noise will attract enemy and they will target you from various, as yet unknown distances. As such the an empty primary and a secondary, with a couple of rounds in it, leaves you woefully outgunned. This is often the scenario where you find yourself trading kills, rather than establishing dominance.

Instead leave rounds in your primary, switch to your secondary to finish your battered opponent and then get back on your primary weapon immediately. Search and assess your short and medium range and then go for your reloads. Reload both weapons, every time. Personally I try to reload my secondary first in most situations. I know I have rounds in my primary but my secondary on the other hand has a much smaller magazine. In addition if I get rushed and end up in a CQB situation I wasn't expected I am going to need my secondary. So situation dependent I load my secondary, then my primary only once I know I have time for that longer reload (primary always takes longer). Trust me when I remember to do this it has saved not only my life but that of the person next to me numerous times.

As regards situation dependency sometimes you have to run both guns to empty. You may be really up against it and keeping rounds going downrange will be the only thing that keeps you upright. Is it ideal, no, is it the best thing tactically to do, absolutely not. Is it the right thing to do in those rare circumstances, absolutely yes. Your only goal in that situation is to eliminate the immediate threat, keep up the volume of fire and keep yourself and your team-mates under the blanket of suppression.

Quick Tips

When engaged....

Fire without movement equals a slow death

Movement without fire equals a quick death

Weapon techniques & recoil management

The crouch bounce and recoil control.

When engaging a target at close and medium range start off in the standing position, start firing standing then immediately crouch. The following will happen. As you engage whilst standing you should be aiming at the upper chest area, specifically chest plate and neck. The gun will begin to climb on recoil. This is fine. Crouch, this brings your muzzle back down to the high chest area. Continue firing and allow the recoil to take you back up again. This will put more of your rounds in the critical area without having to actively manage the recoil through mouse movement. In addition, by crouching, you will reduce your exposure. Without doubt 90% of players will aim for the head. You are initiating the contact and have got first rounds out, they are responding and will aim at where you fire from, coupled with the tendency aim for the killshot. As they return fire you will already be crouching and continuing fire, by the time he has adjusted...he's dead. The beauty of this simple move, you can fire a longer burst of sustained automatic fire with little to no active recoil management as opposed to firing from the standing position, whilst simultaneously reducing your target size.

Failure points, testing and why 'Bigger Gun' isn't the only way to problem solve.

Ok so what do we mean by failure points and their testing.

In broad terms 'failure points' are where something ceases to be effective, be that a complete failure or a consistent diminishing return. In this context you have numerous scenarios where a failure point can be applied.

For example a given tactic may have an intrinsic failure point beyond which it ceases to be effective. Often that may be something as simple as 'X tactic may be effective when faced by Y number of opponents. In more detail it may mean a single infantry flanking may only be effective against 3 opponents due to the dynamic of that combat.

Failure points can apply to specific weapons platforms. For example X carbine may be ineffective or most importantly deemed ineffective beyond a certain range.

Failure points can be personal. "I can't hit my opponent when moving at 300m range".

Now perhaps the most common or natural thing to do upon hitting a failure point is to escalate, to get a bigger gun, swap equipment, get a larger force. This is one method of problem solving but it is somewhat simplistic and to some extent you learn little in this process. Furthermore it operates on the assumption that the problem is the equipment, scenario or situation as opposed to the execution. It's perfectly natural, it's a very human reaction. The downside of this is that you don't develop your core skills, you are simply 'moving on', problem solving by altering a variable in the equation.

To learn something from hitting a failure point it is important to apply some critical thinking. Assess the situation, assess how you applied yourself to the situation, honestly. Walk it through step by step, analysing the actions and choices as you go. Perhaps one of the easiest examples to apply this to is 'hitting opponent at X range with Y weapon'.

So some Purple Pervert in a leotard is sprinting across your field of view at 250m, you have a carbine that is deemed to be 'good at short range, high ROF, suffers at long range'. You engage but go a bit heavy on the trigger and miss. Now on many occasions the mental post mortem of that event is going to go something like this "yeah, no surprises there, I'm using a carbine, they are poor at range. Perhaps I need to get a full blown Assault Rifle or a Battle Rifle. Maybe I need to put some magnified optics on it".

The issue was the heavy trigger, wasn't the gun, wasn't the optic. If you can see em, you can hit em. If you simply escalate to a bigger gun, you aren't fixing the problem and you are potentially creating others. There is a reason you chose that weapons platform for your class, on balance it suited your needs. Yes, there will be times when you need to push to the outward reaches of its stated range, but by and large you have kitted yourself out on statistical liability. In the future when a similar situation presents itself you may not have access to an armoury to grab a bigger gun. As such you remain faced with the problem, you never solved it.

A better way is to push past the initial failure point, analyse what you did that reduced your chances of success and work on those areas with that platform. Push that platform out as far as you can, learn it's nuances, it's recoil characteristics. Increase your effectiveness, round out your skill set with it so that you can at a push across the deemed boundaries of 'areas of effectiveness' for that platform. To a large degree those predetermined limitations can be mitigated through player skill. Every platform has a point at which you will see diminishing returns, ultimately leading to a hard failure point where it is completely ineffective. However where that failure point begins is ultimately determined by you the user and by pushing that limitation out you can greatly increase your effectiveness not only with the given platform but with all of them as you begin to think more critically about these processes.

You can take a single shot battle rifle into CQB and do reasonably well, it's matter of understanding how that weapon performs in that scenario, how it can be applied, what it's strengths and weaknesses are. That can only be done by sticking with the kit or platform, being prepared to take chances in the short term and experimenting. Accept failure or dying and use it as a learning experience honestly.

Failure points and tactics/strategies

The process is much the same for tactics and strategies. To fully understand a tactic or strategy you must fully explore it, push it to its limit, employ it in situations where it may not be advantageous.

Remember its not always what you did that was wrong, merely how you did it, how committed you were to the task, how well you executed the tactic/strategy.

Experiment with 'sub-optimum tactics and strategies', ie non-best case. By this we mean that tactic A may have the greatest chance of success and the circumstance has meant that tactic is available to you. However tactic B presents you with a greater challenge. Now and again try tactic B because there will be times when the circumstances rule out tactic A. By testing and exploring 'sub optimum' tactics and strategies you develop a more rounded understanding of all tactics and strategies and add another tool to your bag. When circumstances stack up against you, you can still pull something out of your back pocket.

Furthermore 'sub-optimum' is by definition more likely to be unexpected, it may present you with other advantages if successful such as the element of surprise. More tricks in your bag makes you unpredictable and in turn increases the effectiveness of all your tactics.

Work in Progress - Not in any specific order or format yet - will update and reformat as I pull my notes together.
                Last edited by Wicks; 01-28-2013, 07:33 PM.

I think my brain shut down after the first line of bold yellow.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Not liking the yellow, or just boring? :row__682:

Probably a memory error. Good ol' brains only run at what... 2kb worth of random access memory. Will give it a read tonight!

Needs a summary paragraph or someone to publish a Cliff's Notes edition.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Lots of good sober practical advice.

I like the Yellow-on-Black. Very Boston Bruins.

It does a good job of not being specific to PS2. It's the basics that apply to everything. It's very nice.
                            Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Wicks, gave it a full go last night and thought it was spot on. The concept of 'failure points' and how to address them is a great one and I look forward to integrating that with what I do and observe.

The bloody 'running in front of friendly fire' is ridiculous and I find it happening too often. Mostly not our squad members but it definitely happens. The concept of spreading or focusing fire is also really important and I could only imagine of the time in Al's squad this last weekend where we would line up and engage a position from about 100m out. It could also certainly, and imo must, be applied to AA operations where a 'flag man' calls the target based on baring, height, and craft (maybe name). Consider the devestating surprise a coordinated AA position could have on singular craft if exercising proper fire control and engagement.

I would argue the following, Damonte's breakdown and my own (I printed it out and read it on the bus), stems from what I think is an inability for the generic forum setting as a teaching method. All the info is just 'BAM' and peripheral vision distorts our focus. How to get around this is a very interesting question.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed