Is Smoke seen by all in Platoon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Smoke seen by all in Platoon?

After last nights awesome Ground and Air co-op mission I was wondering if I should buy smoke to call in air strikes. My only concern is, does smoke show up to the whole platoon or is it squad specific?
    Even if it is Squad specific i think we can still use it effectivly to call in airstrikes.
    We would just have a ground guy in the air squad tagging along with the ground unit. He could then coordinate with the air by using smoke to mark targets.

Thoughts??
    sigpic

Re: Is Smoke seen by all in Platoon?

It's actually empire-specific, so everyone in your empire can see the rally points you lay down.

Comment

It also renders based on graphics settings AFAIK. Maximum is 300 I think.

Comment

Yea, smoke doesn’t render far enough to be used effectively by air... a shame. Hopefully that get's better.

Comment

Aww well was worth a try. I still think a dedicated air spotter rolling out with the infantry would be a huge assett. I would gladly fill this role sometimes. If someone is solely dedicated to calling in airstrikes and all they have to think about is describing where they want the strikes. It would be highly effective in supporting a ground push or defence.
          The other way I can see pin point accuracy being achieved is the air spotter being the platoon leader or leader of the air squad. This way they can just update the squad or platoon waypoint on targets.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Toddshooter View Post
            Aww well was worth a try. I still think a dedicated air spotter rolling out with the infantry would be a huge assett. I would gladly fill this role sometimes. If someone is solely dedicated to calling in airstrikes and all they have to think about is describing where they want the strikes. It would be highly effective in supporting a ground push or defence.
            The other way I can see pin point accuracy being achieved is the air spotter being the platoon leader or leader of the air squad. This way they can just update the squad or platoon waypoint on targets.
            I actually think smoke could be used to reinforce seperate squad orders. I need alpha on Charlie flag with green smoke or I need Bravo on this hill with the orange smoke.

Comment

Smoke is useful. Perhaps more useful than any of the SL certs, bar the beacon.

I like dropping Green smoke for Galaxy dropoff/pickup points and dropping red smoke on enemy sundies helps get everyone focused on the target.

As it is seen factionwide, it can grab the attention of nearby friendlies too.
              Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

What the game needs is a proper map coordinates system. Like this for example:

Right click on map. Selection Menu opens. New entry: Coordinates: HHH/WWW. rightclicking the coordinates will copy the coordinates so you can paste them in the chat.

Edit: posted that in official suggestions forum:

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...-system.93615/
                Last edited by Evilhardt; 02-13-2013, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I like the smoke..but boy what a Hit my FPS's take when looking in it's general direction....
                  |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                  ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I've actually done this with some tg guys in beta in a way. We had only an air squad, on the hill south of snowshear watchtower to be specific; where no enemies normally come. He was SL and he would only spot targets of opportunity for the airsquad that was safely at snowshear (=supported by AA). We didn't do it for too long, but it worked more then well enough for me to think it is a highly effective tactic. I sort of can't find people to try that now. The infiltrator gets basically no points ... :p ... problem!

It sure was fun for me in a lib though, coming in with prior knowledge, and with accurate target coordinates... that is a whole different ballgame then doing recon after you enter the conflict zone.

We should try this soon if you are up for it. Kind of tricky to know how and where best to use this, but is to find out I suppose.

Comment

Just let me know when. I think the spotter as squad leader would work great. Just update the squad maker on top of enemies and you open fire.
                      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X