Command and Control from the Air

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Command and Control from the Air

A tip I've picked up from various outfits and forums is to have the Platoon-Lead command the Platoon from the gunner seat of a Liberator.

Platoon Lead contributes to the Platoon, but has plenty of time to concentrate on directing and coordinating the Platoon and Squads rather than being interrupted with constant ground-level warfare, as well as giving the Platoon-Lead a bird's eye view of the battlefield. It also helps ensure the Platoon always has some air assets available, and controls the nearby airspace, improving overall efficiency.

I've been running with Emale over the past week or two and I've been very impressed with the organization of the tactical gamer outfit so far. I've noticed that we tend to have an air squad up and running for dedicated pilots - Usually Charlie or Delta squad, and these guys are a tremendous boon all on their own. I recall one instance of being locked in the basement vehicle spawn of a Biolab, surrounded by enemy tanks and 4-5 sunderers all hidden away in different corners of the map, and I personally attribute our successful defense of that biolab to the airsquadron who provided liberator and reaver airsupport - eliminating the enemy sunderers that our holed-in infantry couldn't reach, and denying the enemy platoon effective respawn.

Infantry spotted the enemy, air support pummeled it into oblivion.

I think this is something we should seriously consider adopting as SOP for full TG Platoons - A dedicated airsquadron with the commanding Platoon-Lead in a Liberator.
    http://i.imgur.com/Pn1UxKo.png - Tactical Gamer // Planetside 2

Re: Command and Control from the Air

Yep, commanding from air is interesting. Works with a gal too.
    You can make a nice rapid deployment hard hitting fast manouvering platoon with the proper use of air force.
    I'm into anything that flies anyway so expect some air themed friday night fights in the future.
    sigpic

Comment

The only issue I have is if enemy air chases off the Lib holding the PL. Also, a PL on the ground that is knee deep in the fight, is doing it wrong. If the PL in the Lib has to constantly worry about dying to AA. A bit of history, the Vietnam war was fought this way, and soldiers on the ground were always upset because the person in charge did not have a good grasp of what was going on, on the ground. While I agree that a PL with a high vantage point would seem like a good idea, there's too many times he would not be above target, or would be dead, to be truly effective, IMHO.
      sigpic

Comment

My immediate thought was that, with rare exception, air vehicles are fragile and prone to premature demise. Secondly, a PL in a Liberator would effectively deprive the Lib of one of its guns, thus further ensuring a short flight.

While it remains (and certainly will remain) a matter of personal preference, in my mind the best thing a PL can do is focus on the map and stay alive, away from combat.
        sigpic

Comment

I actually like this method; though I figure it'd be more useful for a Company Commander than a Platoon Leader. The difference being that you would focus multiple platoons on one battle and the Company Commander would be able to direct those distinct platoons. I agree with Emale that the PL should be amongst the fight lest he be so far isolated that he comes across as a desktop leader.

Comment

I actually ended up leading a three squad platoon from a liberator whilst also piloting. To my great surprise, it went as well or better as usual platoon leading, and specifically the combined arms worked really well as I kept the ground forces where we could all enhance each other's effectiveness as much as possible.

I'll experiment more with time.

I do want to offer the general remark that there si no best way to PL. It all depends on the game situation, morale, the different personalities involved, ...

There are too many variables to ever say that one style is better then the other. Let alone one could ever prove a style is better.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
              I actually ended up leading a three squad platoon from a liberator whilst also piloting. To my great surprise, it went as well or better as usual platoon leading, and specifically the combined arms worked really well as I kept the ground forces where we could all enhance each other's effectiveness as much as possible.
              Indeed, I have witnessed you lead from air on occasion and you have excelled at it!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buflak View Post
                Yep, commanding from air is interesting. Works with a gal too.
                You can make a nice rapid deployment hard hitting fast manouvering platoon with the proper use of air force.
                I'm into anything that flies anyway so expect some air themed friday night fights in the future.
                Ah great I just posted about it in the other thread. I want to see you, Hobbit and Jengles run some air squads. Even if only to teach us the understanding of the airbattles that makes you good pilots.

Comment

A good point to understanding ESF combat is understanding the physics behind the vehicles. The physics are not representative of the real world and have a great deal many nuances that can only be understood through examination. The other point to notice is how 'Aiming' is directly related to movement but obeys completely different resistances.

Below is a little examination I've started on.

Consider that the 'Thrusts' can come from any combination of Four directions; Top to Down (Vertical Negative), Bottom to Up (Vertical Positive), Side to Other (Horizontal Positive/Negative), and Forward (Into Positive).

Consider that 'Maneuvers' can come from any combination of Pitch and Roll (Yaw, is actually controlled by enacting a 'Thrust' and there is reason for the distinction).

The rules to 'Thrust' are such that you have a force of momentum applied and even if you stop the thrust your craft will maintain this momentum until the resistances halts it.

The rules to 'Maneuvers' are such that you have absolute control at all times through input. There is no momentum and precision is perfect to the user.

The combination of these two factors results in a game heavily weighted to 'Maneuver' and very little of 'Momentum'. This is important to keep in mind when engaging and is what is the defining halmark to the current dogfighting mechanics. As someone put it; its a 'Point and Click' version of AirCombat.

Comment

I was in fact meaning more their tactical understandings. While there is a big skill factor to flying an ESF, at the same time, I don't think it is based MOST on skill. I think more important than skill is the insight into maneuvers, keeping track of where you are, knowing what the enemy may do and using that information to your advantage.

There is a big aspect of threedimensional representation something I've seen e.g. Chalcas in IL2sturmovik be utterly amazing at. But that feels more lika an innate talent. You can tell a bit by the way they select for fighter pilots.

But organically connected to that knowing where stuff is around you whilst moving about wildly, is a plan, an Idea of where to go. THis is what I meant with "understanding airbattles". I feel they have a lot of knowledge, but it may not be knowledge that they can put in words.

I think squadleading can be a good way making this knowledge concrete and share-able when you are forced to think things more consciously. And then they can make us better. I'm sure they are regularly frustrated, as if we are holding them back with our low skillz :D.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X