Avoiding Fall Damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] Avoiding Fall Damage

I ran across this today and found it interesting enough to post up.

A lot of it is common sense or common knowledge, but I for one did not know that touching an elevator or landing in a drop pod gives you a 6 second grace period from fall damage. Useful info.
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Re: Avoiding Fall Damage

Interesting. I am definitely going to employ the elevator trick when jumping down to meet my squad from the top of a high tower.

That guy has some really good videos. I remember another one about the Engineer's anti-vehicle MANA turret that was very informative.

There is sooo much to know about this game... I actually spend a fair amount of time "doing homework" (reading forums) and "practicing" (ex. flying, shooting, and testing weapons in VR) outside of playing the game itself. Arm yourself with knowledge!
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I always use the elevator trick to get down quickly from the towers, it is a pretty neat trick, also I will face the hills/mountains, and walk down backwards as well. I don't know if they reverted back or not, but the flash became a four wheeler with a glass frame, after game update 5. If you took a really big jump, and landed on four wheels, it was most likely going to blow up.

Comment

I've used the wall one alot. So if i cant find an elevator, i just find the closet vertical wall and walk down it. I didnt know about the elevator one though
        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I didn't realize for a while that activating your shield as HA will absorb all of the damage from a pretty big height. I'm used to making big jumps from playing mostly LA, so when I'm HA, I don't have to adjust that playing style too much if I'm jumping off a couple of stories up in a building.

Landing safely as LA from a high distance, like jumping out of an aircraft or off a high cliff can be tricky, especially if you haven't upgraded your jump jets. There's two main things to keep in mind. One is that you only activate the jets briefly on each push. The next is that you don't ever reach a very high velocity in your fall. You might think that you can just fall half of the distance and then push your jets all the way for the rest of the fall. That won't work. If you get to the point of hearing the wind rushing by sound effect, you're probably too late. I always think about in the first Iron Man when he flies up with the bad guy until the bad guy gets frost buildup. And then Iron Man gets down to emergency reserves in his power supply. Then his jets are only briefly activated at any one time as he falls. So kind of like that. lol.

Comment

I fear virtual heights and avoid them like virtual plaques.
            sigpic

Comment

eMale, I thought I was the only one! lol

Yes, I do that as well, which is completely illogical to me when I think about it. I should say I fear them, but not avoid them. Because if I can be in a good tactical position high up with a good view over a base or objective, I will do so. I will often do this while on defense, because I usually am SL. While this nets me less XP and certs, I find I am able to direct my squad better in the defense by keeping a good overwatch all around, and directing my squad towards threats as they come in. But I still don't like heights, IRL or in game, which as I said doesn't make sense when it comes to virtual heights. :)
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

That's interesting.. I would have never even thought about that being a thing. And here I like to jump out of aircraft at the flight ceiling and use my jump jets to get down safely.

Comment

6 seconds
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, that explains some things - like jumping from towers from the same height and sometimes taking damage or dying, sometimes not. I thought they'd increased fall damage at one point in the Beta.

It's completely nonsensical, but useful. Thanks for pointing it out.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJengles View Post
                      Well, that explains some things - like jumping from towers from the same height and sometimes taking damage or dying, sometimes not. I thought they'd increased fall damage at one point in the Beta.

It's completely nonsensical, but useful. Thanks for pointing it out.
                      Just think about it this way-- the jump pads encase you with inertial dampening nanites that degradate after six seconds. ;)

Comment

I've lost count how many times I've jumped off a tower only to remember i switched to something other than light assault. Splat.

I've been wondering how I drop off towers without taking damage sometimes. I think I've been holding back subconsciously and hugging the railing as I fall to limit the distance of freefall.

Comment

Boogalo, I tend to look at the towers and see if there are points along the way that I can "bounce" off of resetting the fall distance. I think of as Parkour in game. I do it from Towers, off walls, cliffs, and the like. I have gotten pretty good at knowing how far is too far for death.
                          sigpic

Comment

Did some testing recently, and similar to the 6 seconds you get after going through an elevator, you get about 8 seconds after you leave a Gal. That is why you die sometimes doing drops from flight ceiling and sometimes not. It depends on the elevation of the ground at the point you land (mountaintop or sea level) and how many seconds you are in the air whether you die or not.

Comment

Are you sure about that? Word on the street is that Gal drop gives you blanket immunity until you touch another surface, (or ignite jump jets) which is why the biggest danger in dropping from a Gal is glancing off a surface, removing your fall immunity, then continuing to fall to your death.
                              Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X