Sweep and Clear Basics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [VIDEO] Sweep and Clear Basics

I found a video today on sweep and clear basics that I would like to share with everybody. I like it. I would also like to see us doing more of this.

The only thing I would add is that Medics can also throw healing grenades in when others are throwing frags/stun (actually shortly after). Wait a second until the frag pops, then throw in your healing grenade when the friendlies start moving in. Also hit F to enable your healing ability, giving a double bonus to healing. I would say always hit F to heal, but save those healing grenades when you expect multiple enemies or a hard to take room (at 100 infantry each, they are expensive! lol). I have to give credit for that idea to Viktir (Rob Angelich on the forums), he was the one who convinced me why healing grenades are better than res grenades.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Re: Sweep and Clear Basics

That is a great video. IT shows where we are lacking some SOPs.

Key things I remember from it:

-Always wait for support befor entering choke or danger zone, whatever they called a doorway.

-Don't sprint inside

-Always check your danger zone first before you assist in a kill.

I really love this kind of video, showing tactics, with spoken comments, in the game's engine. I think it is THE most pleasant way to learn. I would love it if we could have our SOPs in this form. Unfotrunately I cannot do it with my computer. I'd be willing to be an actor though.

Imagine if we can have a need bunch of videos exactly like this, complementing each of our SOP topics in the SOP section. People love to watch this. It is much easier to absorb knowledge in this way, and much moe fun and much more effective. Plus it reflects great on the outfit as a promotional tool.

I sure if we had this, there would be a huge difference in-game as well, as active knowledge of SOPs, and therefore execution would improve by a big leap I think.

Comment

I agree 100% Al with all of your points, especially the promotional aspects. This makes the Devil Dogs look really good, we should be doing the same thing.

I know that E-Male and ghosthooter101, our (un?)official Outfit videographers DO have the hardware and software to do the recording and editing. I am willing to film also and/or be an actor/participant for sure. We only need to come up with some topics that we know and can demonstrate well. Basic infantry tactics, laying down bases of fire perhaps. I will keep the subject of topics for future videos in mind as I am formulating my Basic Infantry course outline. I may even take some video (and/or have others do so) while running classes, to be possibly edited into future videos.
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I've got some armor video I'm putting together from right after the GU08 update. I can do video-grapher stuff too.

I think this is very important I think we can actually put together a better video specific to the type of squad we like to deploy once we get our deployment hammered down. For example 2 max units enter one goes left one goes right, the heavy goes up the middle, the engineer goes towards the damaged unit and the medic follows last.

These kinds of video's always assume an equal scenario which rarely happens. Either they have more guys or you have more guys. We need to prepare for them having more guys. I have started picking up cover spots and whittling down the enemy until I feel like a sweep and clear will be effective. Another good thing to do is to get a bunch of explosives into a room. So, if there are 12 guys on a point and I have only my 6 man fire team I call for all nades and we load 2 left and 2 right into the room pick up whoever runs out and storm in towards the nearest in-room cover and set up on the point to repel those coming back in. Then if we are supported by the heal grenade during the storm we can really do some damage as randy pointed out. keeping effective fire and support tends to be an issue. I think maybe we should be all guns until someone calls for aid instead of having support personnel glued to their med gun or repair gun.

Everything is a system, Break it down.

Comment

My infantry guide actually mentions the doorway, fatal funnel and the need to not 'double up' on a kill, ie kill assist until you have cleared the area/determined there is no secondary threat. Need to finish that.

Also, personally he got the initial breach wrong. Left side enters at a 45 degree angle facing diagonally right, rather than making a near 100 degree traversal with his barrel to button hook round the door and hit the left wall. I hate that move. You start left side looking right and then have to track across almost the entirety of the room. This is slow and blocks the door. If you do it ADS then it will take a lifetime, your lifetime in fact as you will be cut down. If you do it quick and don't ADS then a) you defeat the purpose of the stack and orderly approach, b) you remove any accuracy as you are not ADS and are basically just running in to clear the door, as engagements go you are 'turning up to the party empty handed'. Wrong.

For me you stack up and do opposite diagonals. This gives you a straight line to the corners of the room, the most likely 'hard cover firing position' of your opponent. If neccessary you can engage from outside the threshold as long as you don't get bogged down. You shoot, move diagonally from left to right and the hit the bottom right wall. This means you are now facing into the room, at the right hand corner. As you move along the bottom wall to the right you turn no more than 45 degrees, which puts you facing the centre of the room. The second man does the opposite. Third and fourth can then move in simply and merely split the centre of the room, taking a couple of steps to the left and right respectively. That is how I would do it. Less time running, more time on the gun, less movement of the barrel of the gun, better 'pre-entry sighting' of targets.

The only downside is that you in effect have a cross over at the threshold for a split second, as left goes across line of sight of right. However this is still vastly preferably to doing a near 180 in the doorway and exposing your back to 2 thirds of the room as you track to your side of the room.

I really don't like that method. I would much rather be moving in a straight line to contact, on the gun with minimal traversal to clear my area of responsibility. As soon as I clear the doorway, the split second it takes for my body to pass through my teammates front sight, he has a clear line of sight on a good quarter of the room and can make his move. As we are both moving in a straight line, gun up, we can engage fast and fairly accurately. We should be able to take our corners. That means that anyone 'camping that entrance' should be down. This would allow 3 and 4 to enter behind us and dominate the middle of the room. Any remaining defenders will have a minimum 3 way split focus, which is really tough to deal with. As 1 and 2 push along the bottom wall, going wide left and right they then hit the 'vertical' sides of room and beginning pushing in those directions. This will allow 3 an 4 to move up, freeing up space at the threshold for reinforcements to come in.

My preferred way of doing business.
          Last edited by Wicks; 05-05-2013, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Yeah, that way makes more sense to me. What about the inside left and right corners though? If you are driving across to the far diagonal corner, do you look first on the way in, or do # 3 and 4 handle the close interior corners?

I will also ask my brother how they do it (he is a retired SF operator).

At any rate, sounds to me like we need to take Wicks' method (or any sort of improved method) and do our own, better, video. :)

Comment

In reality you can do either as I understand it (and obviously the in room movement is slightly different), I just find covering opposites works best in tactical shooters etc. Inside left and right are checked by the first guys in. They already have a reasonable idea of what is in the top corners from slicing the pie at the threshold so its only a short barrel traversal to check the bottom right corners. Plus a frag or stun into the centre creates a nice distraction.

Comment

This is may be worth discussing, as it employs a tactic we used in my old outfit from PS1, but we did a similar door breach to the video (minus that wonky entrance wicks pointed out). When we were approaching a building that we knew had enemy contacts posted up on defense (normally a cap point or bottle neck), we would send a max in full charge and have him completely ignore all the targets and run past them. The natural reaction for the guys on defense is to turn their back on the door and open up on the max. Thus allowing the breaching team to enter and kill the enemy without getting shot at.

Of course in ps2, maxs cost resources and have cooldown timers, so that might not be the best idea in this game, but I think if you have a medic in your fireteam a quick revive at the end of it negates the ill effect of that tactic.

BTW, thanks for finding and posting that video Randy. Learning new tactics is right up my wheelhouse. I love this stuff.

Comment

I think using a max is an excellent idea. This sort of tactic is taken from standard current army field manuals. However. In Planetside two you are not in a current military setting, but in a fantasy future reality. Since we HAVE in PS2 a tank that can go trough a doorway (max), it is only logical that doing the best tactics you can with the resources at your disposal, includes use of the max.

I've been using also the concussion grenade to successfully stun players in a room to breach, but I'm struggling with often hitting myself too, or friendlies running in at awkward times. Then when I get in, I find I don't have enough damage output to make use of the opportunity. It is quite hard to get all this set up and get the timing right in the midst of combat.

Anyway I'm pretty sure Szun Tzu would have made use of Maxxes if he had 'em ;)!

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                    Anyway I'm pretty sure Szun Tzu would have made use of Maxxes if he had 'em ;)!
                    Most profound truth of PS2.
                    I can't wait to see the Aegis in action for just this purpose. Like sending out the shielded Vanguard at the front of the column (that almost worked, AL. Dilwead and I did a lot of damage on yesterday's charge - had to stop for mines).
                    In game handle: Steel Scion
                    sigpic

Comment

I tried it on the test servers a few weeks ago, it's nice but has a lot of drawbacks.

-Movement drops to a crawl
                      -Can't shoot back
                      -Has about the same health as a nanite shield for a HA

Comment

I wonder where people get the idea that maxxes are slow, whereas they are actually faster if they use the speed boost, or just as fast otherwise. Only in slow walking mode infantry are faster.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                          I wonder where people get the idea that maxxes are slow, whereas they are actually faster if they use the speed boost, or just as fast otherwise. Only in slow walking mode infantry are faster.
                          Maxes aren't too slow, but what I was talking about was the activation of the Aegis shield that's on test center right now. When it's up, your movement speed drops to a little slower than inf walking speed.

I still think for the scenario that we're talking about using them (door breach), the charge ability is far better than what the aegis shield could offer.

Comment

Oh my bad!. Yeah I don't see use for that shield yet. It protects you, but it would only be useful imo if you can protect yourself AND others. So it needs to be bigger.

Comment

randy, thanks for running a training squad on this last night, that was awesome fun.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X